What If Cutler Is Drafted A Dolphin? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What If Cutler Is Drafted A Dolphin?

zodiak

Starter
Reaction score
What would you want saban to do?

Play the rookie(and most likely give up on a Playoff spot in 06)
Keep Gus and let Cutler develope(thus making year 3 of Saban a possible step back)

I am curious, to me I believe Saban is going to attempt to aqcuire a vetern QB( Ramsey...Brooks...Favre)prior to the draft and "IF" Lienhart or Cutler falls to him its easy draft the QB otherwise he picks BPA and helps another area of the team.

He still has an upgrade at QB and can address the long term QB in another draft.

Each situation is different. He needs to be evaluated my the coaches and started if he is ready, or benched if he isnt. There isnt a right or wrong thing to do. There are good and bad examples of both.

cutler needs to sit. a guy like leinart could start right away and still take a good team to the playoffs. cutler can't. neither can young, jacobs, whitehurst, etc.

Juan Cribbs said:
cutler needs to sit. a guy like leinart could start right away and still take a good team to the playoffs. cutler can't. neither can young, jacobs, whitehurst, etc.
Hmmm...some scouts said the same thing about Dan Marino after his senior year at Pitt.

Juan Cribbs said:
I'm not so sure about that.....you really can't predict anything anymore....I think Young could start for us and we could make the playoffs with him....Cutler is iffy....Leinart we don't know cos he's always had a great team around him so is wait and see imo.

Ozzy rules!!

I honestly think it would be wise to sit any QB we draft no matter if it is Leinart. Sitting a QB can do wonders for him so he can learn by whatching. Practicing with NFL players. Playing him early you risk killing his confidence and maybe killing his career. NOw I know not all stuations are like this, However I think sitting a rookie QB is a smart move. Keep Gus he played pretty well at the end of the year. Now I know Gus is not the answer, But if we could get another veteran thats great ( Farve, Brooks, Ramsey, McNair, Brees, Rivers, Culepepper, EtC ) I mean lets see how it plays out in Free Agency.

Does anyone else on the board feel sorry for Leinert possibly going to the New Orleans Saints? Don't you know he'd love to fall to the Dolphins.

If Leinart goes to the Saints, he could turn that franchise around just like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees have done for their teams.

Marino13fanboy1 said:
If Leinart goes to the Saints, he could turn that franchise around just like Peyton Manning and Drew Brees have done for their teams.

I'm not doubting that at all. I think he's the best QB in the draft. But the poor SOB will be playing in N.O.

Wishfishin said:
I'm not doubting that at all. I think he's the best QB in the draft. But the poor SOB will be playing in N.O.

Yeah, but he'll have some talent around him. And he'll have a stable O-line is they resign Bentley.

Look Carson Palmer and the Bengals set the standard for how to groom a young QB. Big Ben in Pittsburgh is an exception not the rule. If you start a rookie QB you need to have a team that can win on defense ie Pittsburgh and Chicago. Any QB we draft this year (Cutler, Croyle, JAcobs, Whitehurst) will sit the bench in 2006. And look even Lienart will probably sit his rookie season. It looks like New Orleans will keep Brooks around to groom him.

zodiak said:
What would you want saban to do?

Play the rookie(and most likely give up on a Playoff spot in 06)
Keep Gus and let Cutler develope(thus making year 3 of Saban a possible step back)

I am curious, to me I believe Saban is going to attempt to aqcuire a vetern QB( Ramsey...Brooks...Favre)prior to the draft and "IF" Lienhart or Cutler falls to him its easy draft the QB otherwise he picks BPA and helps another area of the team.

He still has an upgrade at QB and can address the long term QB in another draft.

I tend to agree with you, however, I'm not convinced 100% that he won't attempt a trade up.

I think it really all boils down to how he feels about all the QB's in this draft and if he has a high grade on anyone after the big 3.

Skeet84 said:
I honestly think it would be wise to sit any QB we draft no matter if it is Leinart. Sitting a QB can do wonders for him so he can learn by whatching. Practicing with NFL players. Playing him early you risk killing his confidence and maybe killing his career. NOw I know not all stuations are like this, However I think sitting a rookie QB is a smart move. Keep Gus he played pretty well at the end of the year. Now I know Gus is not the answer, But if we could get another veteran thats great ( Farve, Brooks, Ramsey, McNair, Brees, Rivers, Culepepper, EtC ) I mean lets see how it plays out in Free Agency.
I tend to agree with this. However, if we get mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, it would be time to put him in and let him take his lumps then. Almost EVERY rookie or first year starting QB in the NFL will have some mistakes and a big learning curve. Thus, it would be best if we could have that learning curve start when the season is basically over and thus, have less mistakes at the beginning of the next season.

I still think that is where the Bills messed up this year. Once they started playing Loseman they should have stuck with him and tried to make him better through playing.

Marino13fanboy1 said:

I could not disagree more. Drew Brees took about what 3 before he had a good year ( One year he did sit out thouoght ) . He also had LT the Best Running Back in the game and a very good tight end when he had his great year. Plus Brees only played good when they Drafted Rivers and They had the worst record in the NFL cause they had the #1 pick. Peyton Manning did a great job and he also had Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison two of the best at their positions. Peyton Manning is a once and awhile thing. I highly doubt that he will be as good as Peyton Manning cause Peyton is a great QB. Matt Leinart won with alot of talent around him at Southern Cal lets see how he would do in New Orlean with a Good RB ( Duece ) and a Good WR ( Horn ).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=2580

Back
Top Bottom