What If Cutler Is Drafted A Dolphin? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What If Cutler Is Drafted A Dolphin?

I'm not buying into that stuff about QB's having to sit for a while....this is not the 70's when your QB would ride the bench for a few years....in the era of free agency QB's have to play sooner than ever cos after 3 or 4 years they're already free agents....mnot saying is a good thing to rush them but in a lot of cases that's what happens.....I think all 3 top QB's this year will play at some point and I'd not be surprised if at least one of them plays and starts at least 8 games depending on what team they go to.

Ozzy rules!!

Carson Palmer sat on the bench for a year and then came out shooting. A year on the bench did wonder for him. John Elway was thrown to the wolves and he says that's the best thing you can do to a young QB.
I guess it all comes down to the kind of guy he is. If he's confident and understands that he will struggle at first, it shouldn't be too big of a problem. If he's insecure and just flat out sucks his first few starts it could cripple his self-esteem and cause him to underachieve.

In all honesty I think Cutler might be the only QB that could handle being thrown to wolves and have a succesful career out of the big 3. I say this because in college he was thrown to the wolves and then scavenged by the vultures and he still was determined to succede and lead. He just seems to have the mental makeup that we have yet seen the other two "have" to display this same mentality on a consistent basis. So I really beleive he wopuld be the only one who could really beat up as a rookie starter and still come back to have a nice career.

me personally i think you do what the Giants did with eli manning 2 years ago you let him come in with like 6 games to go because by that time you kno your recored and how you are...but also you want there second yeaar to be good i dont think sitting a qb for a whole year is good first off they dont get the feeling of playing in the nfl and also whenever they do come in they still will play like a rookie for a little bit so i say get that over asap

PublixSubsRule said:
me personally i think you do what the Giants did with eli manning 2 years ago you let him come in with like 6 games to go because by that time you kno your recored and how you are...but also you want there second yeaar to be good i dont think sitting a qb for a whole year is good first off they dont get the feeling of playing in the nfl and also whenever they do come in they still will play like a rookie for a little bit so i say get that over asap

I agree, plus alot of preseason action.

zodiak said:
What would you want saban to do?

Play the rookie(and most likely give up on a Playoff spot in 06)
Keep Gus and let Cutler develope(thus making year 3 of Saban a possible step back)

I am curious, to me I believe Saban is going to attempt to aqcuire a vetern QB( Ramsey...Brooks...Favre)prior to the draft and "IF" Lienhart or Cutler falls to him its easy draft the QB otherwise he picks BPA and helps another area of the team.

He still has an upgrade at QB and can address the long term QB in another draft.

IF WE LAND CUTLER LEINRT OR YOUNG..., EVERYONE DO A JIG...:dolphins:

you don't let him sniff the field for half the season. Then you work him in here and here. I think you'd really have to tailor the playbook for Cutler's rookie year.

Juan Cribbs said:
cutler needs to sit. a guy like leinart could start right away and still take a good team to the playoffs. cutler can't. neither can young, jacobs, whitehurst, etc.

Leinert would start cus he would end up on a crappy team, Otherwise, he would sit for a couple of games.

As far as Cutler goes with us, it would be absolutely stupid to start the kid. Marino didnt start until his second year and circumstances were thrust into that situation. Cutler could learn alot from Frerrote in both what to do and what not to do. The intangibles Gus could teach him like being cool in pocket and throwing the ball away instead of giving six to the other team. He could learn what not to do by just seeing the mistakes in the decision making and understand his abilities in delivering the ball in his own style.

But Cutler is not capable of taking us to the playoffs if he starts right away because this team will have some new players in key spots on O and the QB is the focal point. If the kid were to start right off the bat, I would expect the same results as this past year cus the pressure is something that has to be overcome. Im sure the veterans on this team would not want to go through that.

finfan54 said:
Leinert would start cus he would end up on a crappy team, Otherwise, he would sit for a couple of games.

As far as Cutler goes with us, it would be absolutely stupid to start the kid. Marino didnt start until his second year and circumstances were thrust into that situation. Cutler could learn alot from Frerrote in both what to do and what not to do. The intangibles Gus could teach him like being cool in pocket and throwing the ball away instead of giving six to the other team. He could learn what not to do by just seeing the mistakes in the decision making and understand his abilities in delivering the ball in his own style.

But Cutler is not capable of taking us to the playoffs if he starts right away because this team will have some new players in key spots on O and the QB is the focal point. If the kid were to start right off the bat, I would expect the same results as this past year cus the pressure is something that has to be overcome. Im sure the veterans on this team would not want to go through that.
leinart could start for any team in the NFL. no one has been more pro-ready out of college than him since peyton manning.

marino started his rookie season. threw the ball 296 times actually.

Juan Cribbs said:
leinart could start for any team in the NFL. no one has been more pro-ready out of college than him since peyton manning.

marino started his rookie season. threw the ball 296 times actually.

I have no idea where you think that Leinart is better off starting over other people. Leinart has been around people who easily were better than the players they were playing.

All this "come right in and start" stuff is pointless. It depends 99% on the team they go to, their system, and surrounding players. Look at Big Ben, do you honestly think he would have been even close to successful last season if he was drafted to say, the Rams, who throw the ball the majority of the time?

Of course Leinart will start right away if he goes to NO, who else do they have?

SpeedRush99 said:
All this "come right in and start" stuff is pointless. It depends 99% on the team they go to, their system, and surrounding players. Look at Big Ben, do you honestly think he would have been even close to successful last season if he was drafted to say, the Rams, who throw the ball the majority of the time?

Of course Leinart will start right away if he goes to NO, who else do they have?

I totally agree and I did read something that said they might keep Aaron Brooks one more year to help out Leinart and Brooks would start. Thats all analsyt talk, But something to think about.

Skeet84 said:
I could not disagree more. Drew Brees took about what 3 before he had a good year ( One year he did sit out thouoght ) . He also had LT the Best Running Back in the game and a very good tight end when he had his great year. Plus Brees only played good when they Drafted Rivers and They had the worst record in the NFL cause they had the #1 pick. Peyton Manning did a great job and he also had Edgerrin James and Marvin Harrison two of the best at their positions. Peyton Manning is a once and awhile thing. I highly doubt that he will be as good as Peyton Manning cause Peyton is a great QB. Matt Leinart won with alot of talent around him at Southern Cal lets see how he would do in New Orlean with a Good RB ( Duece ) and a Good WR ( Horn ).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=2580

Dude what with the BIG type? Are you visually impared?...because we aren't! You make some good points though. :D

Skeet84 said:
I have no idea where you think that Leinart is better off starting over other people. Leinart has been around people who easily were better than the players they were playing.
that has absolutely nothing to do with it. the fact is he's been in a pro-style offense for 3 years, operating it to perfection. he makes NFL reads, he avoids pressure well, he gets rid of the ball when he needs to, great pocket presence, etc.

Back
Top Bottom