What If Rt Isnt Our Answer Long Term? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What If Rt Isnt Our Answer Long Term?

I never get this mindset. So if you're happy with most of the team, but believe Tannehill isn't the answer why tear everything down and start over? If you really believe that Tannehill is what's holding back the team, which I don't believe by the way, than why not just find a qb you believe in and plug him in? If the rest of the team is so bad that you feel you need to scrap everything and start over than how can you realisticly judge Tannehill or any other qb based on their performance with such an inepted supporting cast?

I'm actually more of the mind of thinking if the team is still struggling this season than Tannehill should seek a trade to a team that is a qb away from competing.

As to the op's question, I don't think there will be a lot of teams seeking a starting qb in in 2019, based on the number of highly drafted qbs still on their rookie deals and big $$$$ free agents signed in recent years. If Miami is seeking a starter they should only have three or four teams competing with them in the free agent market or the draft.

Let me help, because I used to be like you.

In the NFL, your team is built AROUND your QB. The QB is an extension of the Head Coach.

Your QB is your Franchise. And when you don't follow this philosophy in design or practice, you find an inner struggle will keep your team from truly succeeding. Players and coaches will search elsewhere for direction, identity and leadership and it slowly erodes the foundation of the team. There is a reason why the teams that win Super Bowls have an identity at QB. Because they have spent the time and resources to develop the QB.

It is one reason we all cling to the memory of Dan. Dan was the Miami Dolphins. We lived and died with Dan Marino. Never since, has this team been so galvanized from top to bottom. Directed with a clear and concise vision of who was going to lead us to victory.

From the fans to the organization, RT has never had that level of support and confidence. And as many of us have stated time and time again, until this fan base and organization gets on board with RT we may never truly see how good he can be. Everyone is too busy criticizing what he isn't. Last time I checked, Dan never won a Super Bowl and could not run. But we still accepted all of his shortcomings and supported him regardless. Win or lose, RT deserves the same fair shake.

For better or worse, your team is more directly tied to your QB than any other position. Until this organization embraces it, we can't move forward.

In the NFL, your team is built AROUND your QB. The QB is an extension of the Head Coach.

Your QB is your Franchise. And when you don't follow this philosophy in design or practice, you find an inner struggle will keep your team from truly succeeding. Players and coaches will search elsewhere for direction, identity and leadership and it slowly erodes the foundation of the team. There is a reason why the teams that win Super Bowls have an identity at QB. Because they have spent the time and resources to develop the QB.

It is one reason we all cling to the memory of Dan. Dan was the Miami Dolphins. We lived and died with Dan Marino. Never since, has this team been so galvanized from top to bottom. Directed with a clear and concise vision of who was going to lead us to victory.

From the fans to the organization, RT has never had that level of support and confidence. And as many of us have stated time and time again, until this fan base and organization gets on board with RT we may never truly see how good he can be. Everyone is too busy criticizing what he isn't. Last time I checked, Dan never won a Super Bowl and could not run. But we still accepted all of his shortcomings and supported him regardless. Win or lose, RT deserves the same fair shake.

For better or worse, your team is more directly tied to your QB than any other position. Until this organization embraces it, we can't move forward.

I'm still not understanding why you would throw out all your other good young players just because you think you need to replace the quarterback? For example, if you had a top 5 defense built on young players why would you say you have to get rid of them and start from scratch just because you wanted to go with a young quarterback? I'm just saying if you have units you like keep them in place and fix the areas you don't like, not throw the baby out woth the bath water.

Starting over is what we do and why we keep loosing and I have been pointing it out for awhile. If we have the right coach no need to start over period. Getting back to RT great question you keep RT one more season spend our 1st rounder next year on a QB, 2nd rounder on a DT, 3rd on a LB. Let RT play and trade him for a 2nd or 3rd at the year end. If we screw up with another loosing season that year you send Gase packing with RT. The team will be fine. These coaches keep using the age old excuse that they need their players to win, hogwash. They need to learn to coach player's better first and quit looking over the fence at the players they don't have yet. I am down on Gase about this now after being optimistic last year.

Thats all well and good but how does it respond to the question even a little bit??

Drew Lock or the Patterson kid from Michigan. Hopefully we'll be able to flip Tannehill for at least a 3rd rounder.

If Wake retires than Harris will play a lot more snaps than anticipated.
If Gase leaves for NE and becomes amazingly good than he might be more hated than Nick Saban unless he was fired than Stephen Ross will be as hated as Saban.

RIP Fitzpatrick, nothing to do here but be shocked.
That's admirable to leave behind millions of dollars to go after your dreams. I wish him the best.
Can't say I blame him, being a movie star would certainly be less taxing on his body and his career could potentially span decades. I don't think he'd be sorely missed he didn't really have a huge role in the offense last year.

NO FAIR SUPER, I was wanting to discuss this all too, but for s--ts and giggles ill discuss it all too...

If wake retires out of left field I see Hayes stepping in as starter outside of Quinn, and Harris running 2nd team with Branch. right now we have potentially 5 qualities DE so we could afford a little leeway in this picture.....

If our offense and Gase become so good that he leaves for NE then we probably just promote from within unfortunately and hire Daboll as the head coach, some here will say he helped turn the offense around....but then again Ross likes the splash and bringing in from the outside, I say he'd prob try to give a big FU the pats and hire josh mcdaniels as head coach.

Damn, why;d you have to kill Fitz for, that's some BS, the others just retired, left, or wanted to unclog toilets. Fitz gets hit by a meteor then we kick the tires on Kenny Vac again, but prob just run with the game plan of last year with TJ and RJ, maybe KV if we bring him in so we can run 3 Safeties like they wanted. don't think those 3 would be quality together though

More power to X, its one of those things that would suck, and most would call him a quitter, but would have to respect the man. Are we in the world where Fitz is still dead, or is he alive and well in this scenario? If Fitz is still alive then I say give McCain another shot on the outside, even tho he's a lot better in the slot, if not we still got Lippett and Cord, so we would still have 6 quality DB's (assuming the meteor never hit)

Grants few excitement plays would be missed, and I have faith that he will be abigger contributor this year, but we still have DA, DVP, AW, KS,

Luckily other than the Gase comment, we are getting hit hard in this scenario at positions we have depth in......

As far as QB goes from the original topic. I would like to see us do something similar to Arizona which is a smart move (for the most part), bring in a pretty good vet (Bradford isn't great but he isn't bad, when healthy), and then draft QB in the first round. no clue who I want that QB to be because about 2-3 guys we are not even thinking about as being first round picks are going to be first round picks come April of next year. what I wouldn't want is us going out and getting some one year wonder, like case keenum at QB and throwing him a handful of money. but once again Ross tries to be splashy at times, so I could see us throwing a brinks truck at whatever QB was the hot name in the market. Have a Brock Osweiller trade where we give someone a draft pick to take RT's contract, DVP's 5th year not picked up, not extend JJ, and im sure a couple more small moves and we could free up 30 million and just have the rest of the team suffer

I don't have any insight to up and coming QB's....however....

IF RT isn't the long term answer you don't rebuild the team....and I don't believe you trade away RT either...I would bring in another via FA and/or draft and continue what has been started

The QB is the "face of the franchise" but he needs resources around him and a solid "D" to win....RT would still be the best plan at back up given his knowledge and experience with the scheme and a good mentor for a better prospect to move forward

Build the TEAM...the QB will come

If Tannehill isn't the long term answer, and I'm not sure exactly when we come to that conclusion.....but Miami would've f***ed up big time, by not taking a QB in this last draft.

Would we? I sure as hell didn't want Josh Allen, did you?

And there was no hope in hell of getting the great prospects as Barkley and Donald went 1 and 2. Taking a QB for the sake of taking is QB is how you end up with Ponder and Gabbart.

Lets hear everones favorite upcoming QB prospects .... just for s**** and gigs.

I love that Tua Kid from Bama in the 2020 class. Hes got a rocket or Drew Lock from Mizzou 44 TD Passes last year

Perfectly legit question. What a lot of people, myself included, are trying to say is this:

You can build for the future at QB while setting the current one up to succeed. Despite the “People who like Tannehill will bash you for this” BS some will trot out, most of us recognize that he has a limited window.

While the reason why is certainly up for debate, Tannehill has not proven that he’s the future beyond 2020. Fortunately, I believe that the team has taken steps to improve the team for the future considerably during the past two years.

And even if Tannehill breaks out in 2018? I still draft a QB in 2019. The QB class looks weak now, but you never know who’s gonna make a jump. (I happen to really like Lewerke out of MSU.)

Work with the present. Build for the future.

Tear everything and I mean EVERYTHING down and start all over.

Lord no.

The Browns have done this repeatedly. The Lions, too. That’s why they’re the Browns and Lions.

The face of a franchise is the QB. The heart and soul is the OL and DL. Finally getting the lines right and then tearing them down again during a complete reboot is a cycle of madness.

And even if Tannehill breaks out in 2018? I still draft a QB in 2019.

I would not use a high pick in that scenario. If the team does not have glaring holes, then a mid round (3 or 4) is appropriate to land a backup. If Fales or Osweiller turns out to be a solid backup, then use a later round pick on a boom or bust prospect or someone who slid unexpectedly. Other than that, sit pat and build the team.

Back
Top Bottom