What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB?

volk

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
This has been discussed a little on this board, but I don't think it has ever been as viable as it is now, so it seems it might be worth discussing in more depth. The reality is that the consensus number1 pick was Tua prior to injury,but despite the Tua faithful's ability to write off the injury as relatively inconsequential, it is highly unlikely that it will be viewed the same way by NFL teams. There is always going to be that thought that one hit and it will be over. The risk may not be worth it, and if a trade up is required, the cost may make it undoable.

Burrow had an amazing season, but questions about arm strength and his overall college career performance have some questioning whether it was a single year fluke and not indicative of who the player really is. I am always somewhat leery of fast rising one year wonders, but regardless, the odds of Burrow not being picked 1 overall are slim, and likely put him off the board.

With these guys out of the picture, that leaves a few "second tier" QB's available. As in every draft, these guys will get more and more hype as the draft gets closer and will likely be drafted as reaches. I understand that Herbert is rising and may be a solid prospect, but is he a dynamic winner you really want for the future, or is he just a pick of desperation?

If you are the Dolphins on a multi-year rebuild, why not seriously consider trading down and get a QB next year? Why reach now? From a needs perspective, additional lower picks this draft allow for more value player pickups to shore up the lines, and the team should have plenty of ammo with the new pics gained while trading down to move up to wherever they need next year. There will be at least two or three solid ranked QB's next year, and we know Lawrence looks solid at the least.

The main argument against this will be that waiting is too big of a risk and that Miami will win too many games. I think the counter is that the risk can't be any worse than moving up to draft Tua. Could the targeted QB be injured? Certainly possible, but again, the QB most are in love with this year already is, so I consider that a wash. So what about too many wins? Brady looks to be coming back, Buffalo is getting better, and even the Jets were on a run at the end of the season. Plus, we have a new OC of questionable merit, tons of rookies, and Rosen/Fitz at QB. I don't see a lot of chance for a much better record.

Sorry for the long post, but objectively, shouldn't this at least be a consideration for this team? Is it better to wait and get the guy you really want and have faith in, or to reach and get a guy who through no fault of his own, will be a true unknown?

Good post. Thanks for doing it.

To me, We've been as mediocre as we have for 20+ years because we haven't had a PB QB in 20+ years. It's the most important position. If we can't get a replacement QB in this which is one of the best QB drafts in quite a while with a top five ick, then why would we be certain to do it next year? We can't keep kicking this down the road like getting a QB is some ancillary acquisition. We need to demonstrate conviction, flexibility, and big old clanking cajones and do what tit takes to get whoever Flo and Grier agree is their guy. If it doesn't work out with him, trade him ala Rosen and do it next year again and every year until we get our guy. You can't get blackjack if you don't walk up to the table.

We don't improve by adding one more year to the acquiring of a QB. If we're that sad from a sense of urgency standpoint, might as well fill the stadium with cement and we can all go shopping with our wives on Sundays. That's the part where in the old Spy movies the spy dislodges the fake tooth with cyanide in it and bites down.

We have Tua, Burrow or Herbert THIS year. If we spend in Free Agency and use all of these picks I have a hard time believing we will be top 5 next year. We will be top 10 or worse and will not sniff a Lawrence or even Fields. I mean look what it’s going to take us just to move up a couple of slots this year. Time to get it done and I will bet everything I have we get one of the three QB’s this draft.

If they aren't completely in love with one of the guys there and sure they are a franchise QB I'm perfectly ok with using our plethora of draft capital to rebuild the O and D lines as well as find some play makers. Nothing sets a franchise back more than picking a guy just for the sake of picking a guy, especially with all the talk about trading picks to move up. No QB in this draft is gonna come in right away and be successful behind our line in this current state. So if they arent completely sold on who is there then i say wait and build up the rest of our needs this year.

Ross wants a QB and hes doesnt want to wait another year.

I give it 1% chance we dont draft a QB
Ross isn't getting any younger. He wants us to get as good as we can as fast as we can. I know he said it might take up to three years but he'd love for us to surprise him and do it a lot faster.

Good post. Thanks for doing it.

To me, We've been as mediocre as we have for 20+ years because we haven't had a PB QB in 20+ years. It's the most important position. If we can't get a replacement QB in this which is one of the best QB drafts in quite a while with a top five ick, then why would we be certain to do it next year? We can't keep kicking this down the road like getting a QB is some ancillary acquisition. We need to demonstrate conviction, flexibility, and big old clanking cajones and do what tit takes to get whoever Flo and Grier agree is their guy. If it doesn't work out with him, trade him ala Rosen and do it next year again and every year until we get our guy. You can't get blackjack if you don't walk up to the table.
Absolutely, this guff about setting the franchise back 10 years if we get it wrong is nonsense. Tennessee got it wrong with Mariota and it hasn’t set them back. Good decisions and good coaching will mitigate the wrong pick.

It is a reasonable question, to keep all the picks and try and get as many impactful pieces in the draft including 3 under control for 5 years at a reasonable price. It is a very sound idea and could lead to a big improvement as a whole this year. However, it is my opinion it will turn Miami into the Vikings, a very good and solid roster top to bottom. But, a team nobody fears come playoff time because the QB position is eh. Think about the playoffs this year; did anyone outside of Minnesota think the Vikings were a real threat? I dont think so, but everyone said if the Seahawks could just catch a break they could go to the Super Bowl. They were signing retired guys and people working at Lowe's to make it through the season, but have a magic man at the QB spot so everyone can always see them playing big in big games.

The 49ers model IMO isnt sustainable, they used tons of high picks to get an elite DL, and got hge return on some FA bets. They wont be able to keep together that roster due to the cap number for each of the guys and having to be picky with who they keep and who they let walk. Building a big time roster gives you a decent window, but eventually guys want to get paid. But a great to elite QB gives you a HUGE window to win. So next year the guys may be considered the best ever but trust me their are flaws in Fields and Lawrence's game, and Miami may not be in a position to move up next year as mentioned by others; if it will cost Miami 2 1st rounders and a 2nd this year to move from 5 to 2 then if Miami is in the 8-12 range next year (meaning same or just slightly better record) wtf will it cost then to get to 1 or 2. The roster will be more developed but you are mortgaging even more assets and praying that the QB hits whereas this year you might lose some of the capital (IMO not as much as people think) but you still keep the future picks to continue to build around and give the drafted QB the best chance at success.

Building a roster THEN getting a QB puts a **** ton of pressure for the QB to hit especially if you have to use a ton to go get them, drafting a QB you think is a fit and could be the guy then building around him seems to be a better model. And that is the position Miami is in now. Even if a trade up cost Mimai 5, 18 and 56 they still would have 2, 26, 39, 70 and a comp 3rd if James warrants that. That isnt some joke of a draft haul 5 picks in the first 2 days could flip this roster fast paired with FA and you would get the QB you wanted in the process.

We gotta come away with a QB in this draft. Whether it's Tua/Hebert at 5, Love or Fromm later in the first or early second, or an Eason or Hurts later still.

It's time to bring in an influx of prospects to see if we hit our diamond in the rough. Even if we were to draft Tua this year, I'm looking at another QB next year mid to late round. Bring 'em all in. Let the talent sort 'em.

We were extreme in the not drafting a QB spectrum. It's time to flip it in the other direction- extremely.

If Tua is the pick then odds are you’re not getting to see your new QB until 2021 anyway. With that said, it wouldn’t bother me at all to get another 1 for next season by trading back at some point and loading the roster this season.

Haha id rather draft two QBs this draft then wait until next year. You'd think this franchise had HOFers at QB for the past 20 years with posts like this. Just so ho hum about the QB position.

Back
Top Bottom