What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB?

Next year is a better qb class but I’d like one this year however I’d rather wait and build the team then trade the farm or reach for one just to take one after our top guy was taken.

We gotta come away with a QB in this draft. Whether it's Tua/Hebert at 5, Love or Fromm later in the first or early second, or an Eason or Hurts later still.

It's time to bring in an influx of prospects to see if we hit our diamond in the rough. Even if we were to draft Tua this year, I'm looking at another QB next year mid to late round. Bring 'em all in. Let the talent sort 'em.

We were extreme in the not drafting a QB spectrum. It's time to flip it in the other direction- extremely.

totally disagree taking a qb just because you need one is what gets you a Ryan Tannehill. If our guy is there then take him but if top 2-3 QBs are gone don’t just waste a draft pick and reach for a guyjust because you need one. Drafting a shitty qb is worse than not drafting one at all

A lot of people assume that Tua is worthy of trading up for. Should we over pay for questionable (damaged) merchandise or wait and let the draft come to us, select a 2nd tier Qb with an upside (Love) without a desperation move? IMO, these are the exact moves that got us into this situation in the first place. We had a GM that wanted to lock up questionable talent long term and make splashes in FA, without a intense focus on building the team through the draft. Bad management. IMO, overpaying for questionable (injured) talent is Bad Management. If Tua falls to 5, then make the call.

Just wait until next year when we are picking at 10 so we can get the 3rd or 4th best QB in a worse QB draft. Yeah great plan.

totally disagree taking a qb just because you need one is what gets you a Ryan Tannehill. If our guy is there then take him but if top 2-3 QBs are gone don’t just waste a draft pick and reach for a guyjust because you need one. Drafting a ****ty qb is worse than not drafting one at all

And you know which ones will turn out to be shtty. Of course you do. You're a fan. You must know. The experts can barely get it right but you, you got the "it" factor, my friend. I'm sure Russel Wilson in the 3rd was a passion pick.

The entire point of perhaps waiting for a later time in the draft to make a pick is precisely the opposite of reaching so I don't understand what your retort is.

And taking a shot in the mid to late rounds on a QB is not in anyway more shtty than doing so for another position. They both have the same percentage of being a star/making the team. The difference is one would be a homerun while the other is a grandslam.

Next year is a better qb class but I’d like one this year however I’d rather wait and build the team then trade the farm or reach for one just to take one after our top guy was taken.

Can I ask how you think it is better? It is a class of two, who we dont know for sure if they will declare or get hurt or flame out. There really isnt even a high upside project guy like Love is this year.

What is the benefit of waiting?

Flores and the Dolphins won 5 games with absolute trash and have already put the team in a precarious position of needing to trade up for a premier QB. Moving up from 5 is going to cost Miami, but they are the team that has the resources to do so and still has a lot of assets for team building. Now, imagine what Flores could do with players that are actually draftable, and a solid o-line...8 wins, even with Fitzy at QB? That puts you in the late teens...you are looking at a tier 3 QB in that draft...You miss out on Lawrence, Fields, Morgan, and maybe Purdy...you are left with maybe Ehlinger...in the end, I still think you need to move up to land a QB even with waiting.

Right now you have a shot at a QB better than anyone in next year's draft. why screw that up just so you can draft an extra lineman or other position players this year...

Can I ask how you think it is better? It is a class of two, who we dont know for sure if they will declare or get hurt or flame out. There really isnt even a high upside project guy like Love is this year.

Next year's class isn't better than this one. There aren't any that are better than Tua. But there is a high upside project guy - Hendon Hooker.

Next year's class isn't better than this one. There aren't any that are better than Tua. But there is a high upside project guy - Hendon Hooker.

I would agree, Tua's overall package is very unique to come by. I will be very eager to hear your opinion on Lawrence and Field's once you get the time to do so. i will be eager to dive into tape myself.

So let’s say we don’t draft a qb this year, use all of the picks to pick player to improve the team, maybe a trade back for future picks.

We’ve now probably added like 15ish new players including FAs. How are we going to get worse than 5-11 with more talent? Or next year you are okay with trading up to 1 or 2? For Lawrence or Fields. Those appear to be the big 2 right now... so if we are out of range - what’s the plan? Trade up or pick a lesser qb? Essentially the same as now? And no QB is perfect. There will be questions about something or another when the time comes

I just don’t quite get it. It would become a vicious cycle of being afraid to make a move for your guy. Go get your QB.

I would agree, Tua's overall package is very unique to come by. I will be very eager to hear your opinion on Lawrence and Field's once you get the time to do so. i will be eager to dive into tape myself.

Consider starting your tape study by taking a look at Hendon Hooker and Chase Garbers.

What I find interesting is how many people are drooling over Fields as a NFL prospect, but they're also completely disregarding the NFL potential of the guy who neither he nor Jacob Eason could beat out in a pro-style offense.

Absolutely, this guff about setting the franchise back 10 years if we get it wrong is nonsense. Tennessee got it wrong with Mariota and it hasn’t set them back. Good decisions and good coaching will mitigate the wrong pick.
I don’t know that this is actually true. How long have Mariota and Henry been together with nothing to show for it, vs where they wound up with Tannehill at QB. It is impossible to know how they could have been had they simply gotten a better QB sooner.

Back
Top Bottom