What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB?

It is a reasonable question, to keep all the picks and try and get as many impactful pieces in the draft including 3 under control for 5 years at a reasonable price. It is a very sound idea and could lead to a big improvement as a whole this year. However, it is my opinion it will turn Miami into the Vikings, a very good and solid roster top to bottom. But, a team nobody fears come playoff time because the QB position is eh. Think about the playoffs this year; did anyone outside of Minnesota think the Vikings were a real threat? I dont think so, but everyone said if the Seahawks could just catch a break they could go to the Super Bowl. They were signing retired guys and people working at Lowe's to make it through the season, but have a magic man at the QB spot so everyone can always see them playing big in big games.

The 49ers model IMO isnt sustainable, they used tons of high picks to get an elite DL, and got hge return on some FA bets. They wont be able to keep together that roster due to the cap number for each of the guys and having to be picky with who they keep and who they let walk. Building a big time roster gives you a decent window, but eventually guys want to get paid. But a great to elite QB gives you a HUGE window to win. So next year the guys may be considered the best ever but trust me their are flaws in Fields and Lawrence's game, and Miami may not be in a position to move up next year as mentioned by others; if it will cost Miami 2 1st rounders and a 2nd this year to move from 5 to 2 then if Miami is in the 8-12 range next year (meaning same or just slightly better record) wtf will it cost then to get to 1 or 2. The roster will be more developed but you are mortgaging even more assets and praying that the QB hits whereas this year you might lose some of the capital (IMO not as much as people think) but you still keep the future picks to continue to build around and give the drafted QB the best chance at success.

Building a roster THEN getting a QB puts a **** ton of pressure for the QB to hit especially if you have to use a ton to go get them, drafting a QB you think is a fit and could be the guy then building around him seems to be a better model. And that is the position Miami is in now. Even if a trade up cost Mimai 5, 18 and 56 they still would have 2, 26, 39, 70 and a comp 3rd if James warrants that. That isnt some joke of a draft haul 5 picks in the first 2 days could flip this roster fast paired with FA and you would get the QB you wanted in the process.
Good post. I don’t disagree about the importance of the QB or the need to address the position, but I do disagree with the idea that 5 players can flip the team with FA signings filling the gaps. I think we are much farther away than that. Is there a single unit on this team that could not benefit from upgrades?Going big in FA usually Nets large contracts with mediocre production.

If we are talking about building a sustainably competitive franchise, I believe it should be done through the draft. I am also not a fan of reaching. Are you comfortable with building this team around Herbert or a lower round QB?

Last edited:
Unless you’re a perennial bottom feeder, there are very few chances to draft a premier QB prospect. Flores likely gets more wins next season with a more talented roster, so the cost of trading up is even higher. There will not be a better opportunity to grab a premier QB prospect for the foreseeable future. Leaving this draft without grabbing one would be criminally incompetent.

I don’t know that this is actually true. How long have Mariota and Henry been together with nothing to show for it, vs where they wound up with Tannehill at QB. It is impossible to know how they could have been had they simply gotten a better QB sooner.

Tennessee has been the model of consistency..3 straight years of 9-7 including this year. GOt lucky and played a Texans team week 17 sitting a large number of starters to get into the playoffs. So since they added MAriota they have had the same record. Every year...they even have a playoff win under Mariota.

We gotta come away with a QB in this draft. Whether it's Tua/Hebert at 5, Love or Fromm later in the first or early second, or an Eason or Hurts later still.

It's time to bring in an influx of prospects to see if we hit our diamond in the rough. Even if we were to draft Tua this year, I'm looking at another QB next year mid to late round. Bring 'em all in. Let the talent sort 'em.

We were extreme in the not drafting a QB spectrum. It's time to flip it in the other direction- extremely.
I agree that we neglected the position for a long time. That was Parcells influence. Still, I am not a fan of throwing endless picks at the position as a general philosophy. That has not worked well for teams like the Browns.

If Grier was going to get fired for making bad draft decisions then he'd have gotten fired long ago
Yeah. But I think what Meat is saying is that Ross has I'm sure told them he expects us to make a huge swing at QB this year. I can absolutely imagine that happened. Sure, maybe we can't get back into perennial playoff shape in one year but you know he's putting the pressure on to make huge steps this year.

Good post. I don’t disagree about the importance of the QB or the need to address the position, but I do disagree with the idea that 5 players can flip the team with FA signings filling the gaps. I think we are much farther away than that. Is there a single unit on this team that could not benefit from upgrades, and going big in FA usually Netanyahu large contracts with mediocre production.

If we are talking about building a sustainably competitive franchise, I believe it should be done through the draft. I am also not a fan of reaching. Are you comfortable with building this team around Herbert or a lower round QB?

I think Herbert will need a more established roster where he is asked to do less to truly get the most out of him like Jimmy G. I do not think he is close to carrying a team. Burrow and Tua on the other hand can elevate average guys to be good and good guys to be great and great guys to be all world. So if you think Herbert is the guy you likely stay at 5 and keep all the picks. Have him grow with all the guys coming in and then hope that your FA and draft next year round out the roster to hand the reigns to him in 2021. Asking him to do too much to fast will not be a good thing, doesnt come across as a hand me the ball i will take us to the promised land as much as Burrow and Tua do.

Just wait until next year when we are picking at 10 so we can get the 3rd or 4th best QB in a worse QB draft. Yeah great plan.
I don’t know what is responsible for making everyone believe a team full of rookies with a new OC and Rosen/Fitz are going to result in such a drastically better record. It is entirely possible the team regresses and has a worse record

I agree that we neglected the position for a long time. That was Parcells influence. Still, I am not a fan of throwing endless picks at the position as a general philosophy. That has not worked well for teams like the Browns.

What's the harm in bringing in a QB, let's say, in the 5th round every year until the end of time? What are the odds of any 5th rounder turning into a solid contributor let alone a superstar? Not very likely. So why not make the pick the most important position if it's all the same? Would you rather get lucky hitting on a star anything else or a star QB? Until the position has been filled, we should bring in as many applicants as possible.

What is the benefit of waiting?

Flores and the Dolphins won 5 games with absolute trash and have already put the team in a precarious position of needing to trade up for a premier QB. Moving up from 5 is going to cost Miami, but they are the team that has the resources to do so and still has a lot of assets for team building. Now, imagine what Flores could do with players that are actually draftable, and a solid o-line...8 wins, even with Fitzy at QB? That puts you in the late teens...you are looking at a tier 3 QB in that draft...You miss out on Lawrence, Fields, Morgan, and maybe Purdy...you are left with maybe Ehlinger...in the end, I still think you need to move up to land a QB even with waiting.

Right now you have a shot at a QB better than anyone in next year's draft. why screw that up just so you can draft an extra lineman or other position players this year...
The problem is you are assuming that we get Tua, and that he will be the same QB post injury. Let’s say we get Herbert or have a chance to move up to get Lawrence next year. Very hypothetical, but let’s say those are your choices. Which do you take?

The problem is you are assuming that we get Tua, and that he will be the same QB post injury. Let’s say we get Herbert or have a chance to move up to get Lawrence next year. Very hypothetical, but let’s say those are your choices. Which do you take?

I already gave you my choice, I move up for Tua. I don't see it as a problem, because, regardless of the QB you draft, you are "assuming" the level of QB they will be in the NFL. I prefer to take on the injury history and Tua's ability in-game over anyone else in college football.

I just don’t quite get it. It would become a vicious cycle of being afraid to make a move for your guy. Go get your QB.

Why can't Hebert be that QB?

If they have Burrow at A+, Tua at A, and Hebert at A- and Hebert falls to me, I'm doen a little dance.

And there should be fear in making a move for Tua- lots and lots and infinite amount of lots of fear.

Absolutely, this guff about setting the franchise back 10 years if we get it wrong is nonsense. Tennessee got it wrong with Mariota and it hasn’t set them back. Good decisions and good coaching will mitigate the wrong pick.

I would say they hit lightning in a bottle that will be hard to replicate again.

And yes, they too will be in the market for a QB sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom