What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if the Dolphins wait until next year to pick a QB?

I don't think it's the worst idea, but it depends on the valuation of the quarterbacks in this draft. If you don't believe in the ones available to you, building this team in the trenches makes a ton of sense.

If we could land three starting caliber offensive lineman and two starting caliber defensive linemen in the first two rounds, while still having a chance t pick a good quarterback next year, isn't it worth considering?

Unless you’re a perennial bottom feeder, there are very few chances to draft a premier QB prospect. Flores likely gets more wins next season with a more talented roster, so the cost of trading up is even higher. There will not be a better opportunity to grab a premier QB prospect for the foreseeable future. Leaving this draft without grabbing one would be criminally incompetent.

I agree with you on what should be done, but I could see the argument for wanting to build a healthy roster first, then trading up into the teens for a bit rougher high upside QB that isn't a top 5 lock, like the Mahomes or Watson scenario. That would mean a less finished, higher risk prospect but then you're able to give that young QB the best chance to succeed early and build confidence.

But why? Why wait? They got picks everywhere in the draft, top 1st, middle 1st, bottom 1st, 2x 2nds, 2x 3rds... They can litterally get anyone they want except for the top guy... If they literally dont like any QB in this draft, what makes you think 2021 will be any different... If you want the top guys, then being in the position they are in right now if the perfect match, if you want the best guy that falls to you, this is the time to do it...

If you want a perfect guy to fall to you, and decide to punt the opportunitiy to next season when you'll most likely be in a worst position, well Im sorry but that doesnt make any sense...

I don’t know that this is actually true. How long have Mariota and Henry been together with nothing to show for it, vs where they wound up with Tannehill at QB. It is impossible to know how they could have been had they simply gotten a better QB sooner.
But the point is that they aren’t ruined as a franchise and destined to be limited to 4 wins a year for the next decade just because they didn’t get their franchise QB right, as some would have you believe is the situation we’re facing.

But the point is that they aren’t ruined as a franchise and destined to be limited to 4 wins a year for the next decade just because they didn’t get their franchise QB right, as some would have you believe is the situation we’re facing.
You really believe they'll be consistent playoff contenders now?

If we like a QB in this years draft then we need to draft him. Next year guarantees nothing and I dont think Ross would tolerate another year without drafting a top QB prospect. Next year there will probably be more QB needy teams ahead of us that are not willing to trade down.

Miami without Fitzpatrick is a 1 or 2 win team in 2019, tops.

Well unfortunately the Beard will probably be our QB next year. So we use 13 picks and have 100 million in cap space to improve the team next year with him at QB. We shouldnt regress.

But why? Why wait? They got picks everywhere in the draft, top 1st, middle 1st, bottom 1st, 2x 2nds, 2x 3rds... They can litterally get anyone they want except for the top guy... If they literally dont like any QB in this draft, what makes you think 2021 will be any different... If you want the top guys, then being in the position they are in right now if the perfect match, if you want the best guy that falls to you, this is the time to do it...

If you want a perfect guy to fall to you, and decide to punt the opportunitiy to next season when you'll most likely be in a worst position, well Im sorry but that doesnt make any sense...
With a little creative trading down, they could be just as loaded with draft capital next year and still do well this year. The big variable is next year’s record. I just happen to think we will be in a similar position. I honestly don’t believe we will be that much better, if at all.

With a little creative trading down, they could be just as loaded with draft capital next year and still do well this year. The big variable is next year’s record. I just happen to think we will be in a similar position. I honestly don’t believe we will be that much better, if at all.
Exactly. right now we know we are in the best position we have been in the last 20+ years, next year who knows? [ great current position >>> unknown position ]

Well unfortunately the Beard will probably be our QB next year. So we use 13 picks and have 100 million in cap space to improve the team next year with him at QB. We shouldnt regress.

Doubt they use all 100 mil, and the money spent wont be on big time FAs. And out of those 13 picks, how many contribute at a high level in year 1? How many bust?

I have no real expectations at this point. You are the one setting a marker before a single player is signed or drafted.

If we wait it means either the FO is not convinced their QBOTF is in this draft or they couldn't convince a team to trade down for the guy they REALLY wanted. So in either case, it would indicate "not settling" and i'd be fine with it, knowing the team is being built up in other ways in the meantime.....and we still have a 1st round pick QB learning the ropes on the current roster.

They don't have to wait til '21. They can stay at #5 and 'wait' for Herbert. They can trade down and 'wait' for Fromm or Love. I HOPE not, but what we want doesn't change reality. I'm inclined you're right . . . "
if you want the best guy that falls to you, this is the time to do it..."

They don't have to wait til '21. They can stay at #5 and 'wait' for Herbert.
Thats my point. The title of the thread is "wait until next year" however. I mean my personnal preference is Tua and I'd be somewhat disapointed if they went with another guy. If they decided to punt QB altogether till next year... Well I dont even want to worry about it until they do, no point in getting worked up for something that probably wont happen...

Doubt they use all 100 mil, and the money spent wont be on big time FAs. And out of those 13 picks, how many contribute at a high level in year 1? How many bust?

I have no real expectations at this point. You are the one setting a marker before a single player is signed or drafted.

I'm not setting a marker but if we win 3 or 4 games next year then we didnt do things right haha

Back
Top Bottom