What in the world?!? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What in the world?!?

BigFin

Rookie
Reaction score
I've been a fan my entire life. I've been true to this team through the good times and the bad. The way things are unfolding so far, I cannot see how in the world this current administration makes it to the second part of the season, let alone next year. There's is such a thing of letting go of players because they don't fit a system, are over priced, or past their primes but the goal is to stay competitive to some degree. This team isn't competitive enough to even make the game interesting. I know Ross understands the concept of losing to win, but to what degree? Now for all you Tank for Tua folks, I have a question. If you were Tua and you saw the current talent level and its now public dysfunction, would you want to come here? Hell no. In all my years being a fan of either the Dolphins or the NFL , I've never seen anything like what's happening now.

you know what's funny,err sad is that when we had the second overall pick in 2005 we took a rb, probably never even sniffed at AR as many teams didn't but we were in position and ended up with a nice rb, great. Now, in 2020, we will be in the best draft situation we have ever been in and we are in shambles...please lord, let's get this righted fast.

you know what's funny,err sad is that when we had the second overall pick in 2005 we took a rb, probably never even sniffed at AR as many teams didn't but we were in position and ended up with a nice rb, great. Now, in 2020, we will be in the best draft situation we have ever been in and we are in shambles...please lord, let's get this righted fast.
And Jake Long over Matt Ryan. I'm all for tanking short term to get better long term. But we screwed up the last two times we had the opportunity to do so, and we probably will again.

What’s the point of these, “oh my god, tanking is so awful. And we’re not even going to do it right” posts?

Tanking is no longer a hypothetical. It’s no longer the fodder for a never-ending debate on this forum. It’s done. It’s a fait accompli. There’s nothing anyone can do to go back now, even if they’d want to— and nobody on the Dolphins wants to since this was the plan.

Maybe Tua stays in school. Maybe the powers that be botch the draft. Maybe this team is awful for years to come (as if that’s any different than what this team’s been for fifteen years now). But it’s done, and nothing anyone on here feels about it— good or bad— is going to change it.

Agreed. Trading young talent you already have to build around and then extending a wr4 has me puzzled. There is a lot to be said about being loyal to your employees. With Fitz being from Bama, don't be surprised if Tua (possiblity more) comes out before the draft saying he will not sign with the Dolphins if drafted.

Realistically, this is not Madden, it will be no less than 5 years until we win at least 10 games in a season - that's 2024.

Management/Player relations as well as an extensive rebuild will make it a more difficult sell for good veteran and top rookie players signing with the Dolphins.

What’s the point of these, “oh my god, tanking is so awful. And we’re not even going to do it right” posts?

Tanking is no longer a hypothetical. It’s no longer the fodder for a never-ending debate on this forum. It’s done. It’s a fait accompli. There’s nothing anyone can do to go back now, even if they’d want to— and nobody on the Dolphins wants to since this was the plan.

Maybe Tua stays in school. Maybe the powers that be botch the draft. Maybe this team is awful for years to come (as if that’s any different than what this team’s been for fifteen years now). But it’s done, and nothing anyone on here feels about it— good or bad— is going to change it.
There's a right way and a wrong way to go about rebuilding. The teams that do it right see what talent is the on the roster that they can work with and build on that foundation. The teams that get it wrong purposely devoid the team of any remaining talent, send off previously highly drafted players that develop, and the team turns into a disaster where no one wants to come to. Especially if they can't or won't take care of the players that do all the right things and have potential to be better. Oh and you create yet more holes that were previously filled that now have to be replaced by the picks you acquired. It's like being a hamster running on a wheel. Cutting your nose to spite your face. Plugging holes on a sinking ship by making more holes. If there was a blueprint on how to screw up a tank job, we're writing it now.

There's a right way and a wrong way to go about rebuilding. The teams that do it right see what talent is the on the roster that they can work with and build on that foundation. The teams that get it wrong purposely devoid the team of any remaining talent, send off previously highly drafted players that develop, and the team turns into a disaster where no one wants to come to. Especially if they can't or won't take care of the players that do all the right things and have potential to be better. Oh and you create yet more holes that were previously filled that now have to be replaced by the picks you acquired. It's like being a hamster running on a wheel. Cutting your nose to spite your face. Plugging holes on a sinking ship by making more holes. If there was a blueprint on how to screw up a tank job, we're writing it now.
Nothing you’re complaining about can be or will be undone. In a few years either the tank works and the team is better or it doesn’t and the team is no worse off than it is now or has been for a decade and a half (expect that there’s no plausible deniability to hide behind; it would be obvious to all we’re awful).

The die has been cast, and if the team succeeds, nobody is going to care if this tank is being “done right.” And if the team fails, nobody whose left is going to care either.

Nothing you’re complaining about can be or will be undone. In a few years either the tank works and the team is better or it doesn’t and the team is no worse off than it is now or has been for a decade and a half (expect that there’s no plausible deniability to hide behind; it would be obvious to all we’re awful).

The die has been cast, and if the team succeeds, nobody is going to care if this tank is being “done right.” And if the team fails, nobody whose left is going to care either.
So with that reasoning why should we even be on this board altogether? We're just commenting on how we see this team, as we've done on here since FH was founded back in 2001, after witnessing countless others come here who've tried and failed. All we're doing is pointing how we see this next iteration and how we all think its imploding already before our eyes. Which doesn't bode well for our future, since the goal is to suck now for future returns. So far, it's looking pretty disastrous. Yes it's all done and being done and there isn't anything we can do about it. But it sucks that we likely won't see us fielding a competitive team until maybe sometime halfway through the next decade. And we've suffered for a very long time as it is.

We had a chance at getting Rodgers, and even more sad, we two chances at getting Brees.

Not fair to put a regime in place for a tank and then pull the rug out 5 months later because the Super Bowl isn’t in our sights yet.

Don’t let the media dictate our process. Their is surely a lot of jealousy emanating from half the cities in the NFL who’s teams have no real direction.

Sixers fired GM San Heinke half way through a perfect tank job and nearly derailed the whole thing with Bryan Colangelo. Big mistake. Luckily they stuck by Brett Brown.

The Dolphins played hard until the last minute week 1, that’s all they can do for now. That, and continue to just learn.

Our worst game was bound to be the first week.

As if this is going to happen 15 more times.

Be thankful for 2019.

Last edited:
If my memory serves me, teams did not want to trade up into the top five that year. I can understand, seeing as most of the highest rated players were rbs. I’m pretty sure Rodgers wasn’t considered a high first, sure thing guy by almost anyone. Sure they could’ve pulled a Daniel Jones and taken him 2nd overall but how many would’ve called for their heads

And Jake Long over Matt Ryan. I'm all for tanking short term to get better long term. But we screwed up the last two times we had the opportunity to do so, and we probably will again.

I don't think the Long move was necessarily wrong. Oh, yeah, in hindsight. But that first year Long looked like he was going to be a Pro Bowler and a cornerstone of a terrific franchise. Ryan had plenty of question marks, and still would be considered very good but short of elite.

The issue was Parcells kind of divorced himself from the process a bit, and the organization deviated from the plan it had put in effect the previous year, which was building from the trenches out. We got cute in the draft, wasting picks on special niche players and reaches. We never finished rebuilding the line.

I think, had we kept the course, our floor would be a Steelers type situation. At best, we're competing with the Patriots every year for the division and conference.

The worst thing was that the turnaround from 1-15 to 11-5 happened too fast. Sparano was a much better coach than Cam Cameron, and Parcells involvement was huge. But everything went right for us to go 11-5. Pennington had the year of his life, we caught the Pats with the wildcat and things just snowballed for us. Then we started to put on the fancy shingles and shutters, forgetting the foundation had yet to be completed.

The whining is getting annoying. For years, fans have been screaming, "burn it all down!" "We need an organizational enema!" They did that, and you guys are still complaining. Just embrace the rebuild already. My goodness.

So sorry that Grier ruined your 6-10 season.

:bobdole:

Back
Top Bottom