What in the world?!? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What in the world?!?

Don't forget..No Tom Brady that year...that year was fools gold for us.

I agree that back in 2008, it wasn't as simple as Ryan over Long was in hindsight a better pick. Lots of factors played into that not working and I agree with all your points on that. I'd like to add what contributed to Long getting hurt was Parcells' training regime for the players to bulk up, at least on the OL. Parcells wanted big, strong guys that could bully our opponents into submission. That program he instituted reportedly built up guys like Long, J. Smiley, and J. Grove to get bigger and stronger, but their bodies also broke down much faster and was more damaging on them as all three wound up cutting their careers short. I'm sure there's others too that signed here around that time and got hurt. That was also another contributing factor to the 2008 blueprint blowing up. Taking Henne to be your eventual starter in the 2nd and then taking Pat White the very next year was baffling. Wildcat was fun to use for a few games, bit it never should've been part of the plan to build on team on. We got too ****y after going 11-5 and got away from the plan. As much as Ryan was probably the better pick long term, in hindsight, theres no way of knowing how well he would've fared here. Same goes for Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees.

The major decisions made since hiring Flores:

Not extending Ju’Wuan James. (#alreadyhurt)
Not signing Trey Flowers
Moving on from 17( it was time, still love the kid)
Drafting Wilkins.
Being handed Rosen.
Extending Howard.
Fleecing Houston.
Moving on from unnecessary contracts.

Where did they go wrong?

The smart moves actually started a year earlier by cutting the cord with Suh and not breaking the bank on 14.

Sucks for you younger guys without kids (or hobbies). I remember being a 20 something fan, where only football mattered. I’m only 39 and I’ll tell ya I felt spoiled for the first 15 years of my Dolphin fandom and I didn’t get to experience the truer glory days some of our older fellow Finonians (heard it hear first) have witnessed.

Anyone my age or older knows what a joke the Patriots franchise is/was/will soon be again.

Our pendulum hasn’t moved much in either direction the last 20 years. I’m not about to bail on the first coach who had the balls to grab it and pull it ALL the way back.

I harped on this little talked about detail a lot when we first hired BF; he stated in an interview that when he first broke into this business he dreamed about being a GM and creating his own team through the draft (like most of us draft nuts). After all, he was a scout first. Coaching was just something he was also good at. Make no mistake about it, all the talk about Ross and Grier is moot. Brian Flores is the Alpha in every room.

I’d be a lot less excited about our future if we gave up a butt load of picks for Josh Allen or Sam Darnold, or if the Bills/Jets had the No.1 pick in 2020 or 2021.

I promise you Mike Greenberg was a lot more upset Sunday than I was.

As much as it sucks to think about (or say out loud for that matter) the quickest short cut to the super bowl would be if the Dolphins had the No.1 pick each of the next two drafts.

I’ll continue to endure as a kool aid drinking homer.

My loyalty.....

Takes No Effort!

Last edited:
I'm fine with tanking. My concern is I don't trust these people with the assets next year and after. That's why I'm worried about this regime.
Yes! We built up huge draft capital. I don't trust the powers in charge to take advantage of the opportunity.

I've been a fan my entire life. I've been true to this team through the good times and the bad. The way things are unfolding so far, I cannot see how in the world this current administration makes it to the second part of the season, let alone next year. There's is such a thing of letting go of players because they don't fit a system, are over priced, or past their primes but the goal is to stay competitive to some degree. This team isn't competitive enough to even make the game interesting. I know Ross understands the concept of losing to win, but to what degree? Now for all you Tank for Tua folks, I have a question. If you were Tua and you saw the current talent level and its now public dysfunction, would you want to come here? Hell no. In all my years being a fan of either the Dolphins or the NFL , I've never seen anything like what's happening now.

Look, you can argue whether or not tanking is a good strategy or not, that’s fine and no one on this board knows how this is going to turn out. I think it was obvious to many of us that we were tanking this season just because of the teams actions and things that Ross said after last season. Of course trading your best starting resources for draft picks next year and signing a 15 year journeyman like Ryan Fitzpatrick to be your QB and then all the other cuts, etc. days before the offseason doesn’t convince you than I don’t know what will.

However, The sales pitch next year is 12 draft picks including 7 in the first 3 rounds and about $150 million in cap space including the number 1 overall pick in what looks to be a deep and talented QB class most likely headed by a potentially generational talent depending upon ones point of view, one could argue or sell the idea that this team is in a great position to build around Tua and turn this franchise around quickly with all of these resource, and also quite a few assets from a draft standpoint in 2021 as well.

I get the argument that Grier might not be the guy to trust making all of those picks, and quite frankly, I think the fact that Ross wanted Jackson last year and Grier threatened to quit on the spot unless Ross let Grier draft Minkah who may now get traded, and Jackson shredded us and looked like a franchise QB at least for that night, kind of puts him on the hot seat depending upon what he might get in return for Minkah if anyone is willing to trade something meaningful for him.

I've never heard the term mutiny discussed this early in the season either. I'm disappointed in Micah Fitzpatrick and the fact that he wants out.

Its ugly already and the season has just begun. Its going to be tough for Brian Flores to stick around long.

The whining is getting annoying. For years, fans have been screaming, "burn it all down!" "We need an organizational enema!" They did that, and you guys are still complaining. Just embrace the rebuild already. My goodness.

So sorry that Grier ruined your 6-10 season.

:bobdole:

I'm embracing the rebuild. That's not the problem. The problem might be that Grier and Flores aren't the right people to lead the rebuild.

And Jake Long over Matt Ryan. I'm all for tanking short term to get better long term. But we screwed up the last two times we had the opportunity to do so, and we probably will again.
Jake Long didn’t choke away a Super Bowl at least... I kid, I kid.

you know what's funny,err sad is that when we had the second overall pick in 2005 we took a rb, probably never even sniffed at AR as many teams didn't but we were in position and ended up with a nice rb, great. Now, in 2020, we will be in the best draft situation we have ever been in and we are in shambles...please lord, let's get this righted fast.
It's so weird to me because most people on this message board loved the Ronnie Brown pick back in 05. That Miami Dolphins propaganda has their fans in a trance.

It's so weird to me because most people on this message board loved the Ronnie Brown pick back in 05. That Miami Dolphins propaganda has their fans in a trance.
The Ronnie Brown pick was awful in 2005. And it would be ridiculous now. Of course, in 2919, Aaron Rodgers wouldn’t have slid the way he did either.

And plenty of people liked the Jason Allen pick in 2006 as well. There will always be plenty of people, if not the majority of people, who’ll always be happy with their team’s draft picks. Because they can’t stand the thought that their team made a dumb move.

I give Fitz alot of heat , but trading him for a 2nd or 3rd is stupid. Should be fired right after that move. This kid needs to be at 1 position, and master it.

I’m going against the tide and will state for the record that I’m very positive in our long term outlook. I just am

PS Omar is an a**hole. Not related but I thought I’d throw that in too

It was a popular pick because we were coming off an awful season in which Ricky retired on us and we went 4-12, which was our first losing season in like forever. We were all in shock and then Saban became our white knight who was going to swoop in and take us to the promise land. So naturally drafting a RB like Brown seemed to make sense because after Ricky, everyone felt we needed a new star RB to help us recover from the shock of Ricky retiring. We all drank the kool-aid that Saban knew what he was doing and we trusted his judgement. However, looking back his drafts were god awful, and we were blind to his draft logic at the time. A RB like Ronnie Brown who split time with Cadillac Williams would've been nice as a complimentary piece later in the draft if your team is stacked, but we needed more out of that draft. Besides Aaron Rodgers obviously, there were alot of other really good players at more important positions available in that draft. But also at the time RBs weren't quite yet considered to be as replaceable as they're more or less viewed now. But ya, it was a bad pick in retrospect, but watching Ronnie was fun in all the seasons he was here and healthy, and when Ricky came back and they were tandem it was great. It was like almost like watching Shaq and Zo playing on the Heat together which also was around that time. Good times.

And what's the reason? Ross. He is clueless as an owner. Doesn't know what it takes to develop a successful NFL team. He needs to sell and get away from the NFL.

If my memory serves me, teams did not want to trade up into the top five that year. I can understand, seeing as most of the highest rated players were rbs. I’m pretty sure Rodgers wasn’t considered a high first, sure thing guy by almost anyone. Sure they could’ve pulled a Daniel Jones and taken him 2nd overall but how many would’ve called for their heads

Rodgers was considered by most to be a better prospect, though Alex Smith was respected for his intelligence. Early in the process Rodgers was mocked by everyone at #1 till it was apparent that the 49ers were leaning to Smith.

I don't know why there has ever been fascination about Matt Ryan when we missed on Rodgers. Also Ryan as a prospect really wasn't a first overall caliber QB and would have been a reach. He also went to a team that had a good core but unexpected QB circumstances lead them to have a terrible season not indicative of the roster as a whole, and they needed to go QB all the way.

Back
Top Bottom