What increases our chances of a trade down the most? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What increases our chances of a trade down the most?

Carne Asada

there be no distractions for our team
Club Member
Reaction score
Availability or scarcity?

Everyone seems to think we'd get better value and more offers if the Jets take Sewell.

IMO it's the other way around, IMO scarcity gives us a better shot and value in trade.

Our best trade down scenario is if the Jets new HC and FO take a QB.

There are only 4 viable 1st rd QBs (Mac or Trask might sneak into the late first)

If other teams in the top 10 like Car don't see any of them falling to them we'll have more and better offers than if they think at least Lance will make it to them.

Availability or scarcity?

Everyone seems to think we'd get better value and more offers if the Jets take Sewell.

IMO it's the other way around, IMO scarcity gives us a better shot and value in trade.

Our best trade down scenario is if the Jets new HC and FO take a QB.

There are only 4 viable 1st rd QBs (Mac or Trask might sneak into the late first)

If other teams in the top 10 like Car don't see any of them falling to them we'll have more and better offers than if they think at least Lance will make it to them.
I think the concensus is correct here. If a potential trade partner is in the market for a QB, they will have done their due diligence, and ranked them in some order, perhaps discarding one or another as not an option. If the QB they want isn't there any more, they have no reason to trade up.

There are too many variables to say anything is a certainty, but since QBs have more inherent percieved value than a tackle, that makes sense to me, as a generality.

I think our #3 is best positioned for someone to jump Atlanta for a QB.

If the Jets go off script @ 2, things get interesting for us. The Jets have a bad drafting legacy that includes infamous bad picks that contradict even the most common draft logic.

I anticipate the Jets to once again defy logic and gift us with a command and control of the entire draft. Giving us the choice of our top pick or getting more picks.

This scenario starts with someone being convinced Sam Darnold can be salvaged.

The real dilemma for the Dolphins will be getting more picks vs. premium player.

If we stay, I believe it has to be for Sewell or Parsons. Both make a lot of sense for us. Sewell would anchor and bookmark the OL rebuild. Parsons could give us that dominant 3 down LB we've needed for 2 decades.

I also believe we could be targeting a Bama WR at 18 to give Tua a familiar target. But 18 may be too late for Waddle or Smith. So, this might factor into any trade scenarios; we might be interested in moving up from 18.

Harris could also fill the bill of familiarity and offensive fire power at 18.

Atlanta wanting a QB would make the price of the third pick sky rocket.

Specifically i would want to entice Detroit into trading a future 1st because that looks like it's heading toward a rebuild.

If the Jets go off script @ 2, things get interesting for us. The Jets have a bad drafting legacy that includes infamous bad picks that contradict even the most common draft logic.

I anticipate the Jets to once again defy logic and gift us with a command and control of the entire draft. Giving us the choice of our top pick or getting more picks.

The real dilemma for the Dolphins will be getting more picks vs. premium player.

If we stay, I believe it has to be for Sewell or Parsons. Both make a lot of sense for us. Sewell would anchor and bookmark the OL rebuild. Parsons could give us that dominant 3 down LB we've needed for 2 decades.

I also believe we could be targeting a Bama WR at 18 to give Tua a familiar target. But 18 may be too late for Waddle or Smith. So, this might factor into any trade scenarios; we might be interested in moving up from 18.

Ideally all three of Atl, Phil and Det decide to move on from their high-salary QBs. I think Phil would look for a QB if Hurts were all they had.

I think the 4 QBs might go straight 1 through 4 and the Bengals might have Sewell fall in their laps.

Fabio goes to the Jags
Jets get pretty and take Wilson
Lions trade up for Fields with the ammo they get from trading Stafford to Pats
Falcons take Lance
Bengals take Sewell
Eagles trade #6 + picks to Hou for Watson and they take Surtain, maybe the Eagles take Surtain themselves
We get the choice of Smith/Chase OR Parsons plus picks and do a break dance, maybe bait Panthers to trade up one spot for Parsons too and take Smith.

Last edited:

A bit OT, but I happened to watch an interview with the Jests GM this morning (only because ot came up automatically on You Tube).

He refused to commit to Darnold, and indicated that whoever they hired as HC would have major input into that decision.

Back
Top Bottom