What is more important than a new head coach? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is more important than a new head coach?

In your opinion, what is more important going foward?

• A quarterback

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • A head coach

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters

MiZFiT

Club Member
Reaction score
A ****ing quarterback.

Debate it as much as you want but what the NFL boils down to is the 22 players on the field at any given time on any given Sunday. More important than the other 21 players is the quarterback. The only player on the field that has the ball in his hand on every single play. Coaches win games, quarterbacks win championships.

In this day and age, the NFL is a passing league and there is nothing that any team or coach or fan or player can do about it (Tebow the only exception because he is the rebirth of Jesus, but that's beside the point).

IMO, the most important responsibility of a head coach is to make sure he prepares his team, to the best of his ability, for the upcoming game. This is where coaches can separate themselves from other coaches.

Let's take a little trip down reality lane...

Bill Cowher - Pre-Roesthlisberger: 0 Superbowl wins Post: 1 (retired one year later)
Bill Belichick - Pre-Brady: 0 Superbowl wins Post: 3 (and counting)
Mike McCarthy - Pre-Rodgers: 0 Superbowl wins Post: 1 (and counting)
Tony Dungy - Pre-Manning: 0 Superbowl wins Post: 1 (retired two years later
Tom Coughlin - Pre-Manning: 0 Superbowl wins Post: 1 (and counting)

Apart from McCarthy, all of the coaches mentioned above had held a head coaching position for many years before winning a Superbowl. The only thing shared by all of them is that the quarterback of their team was the best player on the field.

While the head coach, whomever they may be, is an important choice, more important than that is which quarterback we take in April. So if I could give Ireland and Ross one piece of advice, I would tell them to spend more time evaluating the quarterbacks entering the draft, and less time interviewing future head coaches.

IMO, a quarterback is worth a whole hell of a lot more to this team than a head coach could ever, and it's not even close in my book.

What say you?

i still think a coach is the most important piece althougha qb is damn important. hell shula almost won a superbowl with david woodley

i still think a coach is the most important piece althougha qb is damn important. hell shula almost won a superbowl with david woodley

Come to the 21st century. You can't win a championship without a great quarterback in modern football.

They have sucked for a long time. What did they recently change to be at 10-3 with the same QB?

Say what you want but like I said, "coaches win games. quarterbacks win championships"

Come back to me when they win the Superbowl and I guarantee it will be because they have great QB play.

Not to mention they are in the NFC West and the Dolphins could go 6-0 in that division.

Say what you want but like I said, "coaches win games. quarterbacks win championships"

Come back to me when they win the Superbowl and I guarantee it will be because they have great QB play.

Not to mention they are in the NFC West and the Dolphins could go 6-0 in that division.
I am not coming back to you for anything. You asked, I answered. You make assumptions on my thinking based on 1 sentence.

Don't minimize the importance of a Head Coach. it's a no brainer you need solid QB play to win a super bowl. You also need a GM that can pick talent to fit a system. It's not as simple as finding a QB.

I am not coming back to you for anything. You asked, I answered. You make assumptions on my thinking based on 1 sentence.

Don't minimize the importance of a Head Coach. it's a no brainer you need solid QB play to win a super bowl. You also need a GM that can pick talent to fit a system. It's not as simple as finding a QB.

Tell that to Peyton Manning.

Same head coach, basically the same players and coaching staff and they go from perennial 10 win seasons and a championship to win-less.

Indianapolis Colts 2 years ago with the same coaching staff and front office and pretty much the same roster: made it to the Super Bowl
Indianapolis Colts this year without Peyton Manning: 0-13

Come to the 21st century. You can't win a championship without a great quarterback in modern football.

brad johnson, trent dilfer, also Eli manning was not a great qb when they won the superbowl he had a mediocre season 23 tds 20 int with like a 74 qb rating when they won it all. top qb is important but coach controls the team.

brad johnson, trent dilfer, also Eli manning was not a great qb when they won the superbowl he had a mediocre season 23 tds 20 int with like a 74 qb rating when they won it all. top qb is important but coach controls the team.

[video=youtube;Iv0bc8CtcWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv0bc8CtcWI[/video]

Indianapolis Colts 2 years ago with the same coaching staff and front office and pretty much the same roster: made it to the Super Bowl
Indianapolis Colts this year without Peyton Manning: 0-13
You said it! Having a elite QB is fundamental! Coaches come and go constantly...

Sorry, i think getting the right HC is more important. Having a good QB is obviously important now a days, but i still stand on HC.

I say QB. Just look at the champs. I would rather have Aaron Rodgers than Mike McCarthy but we still need to get a good coach before we can get a QB.

Back
Top Bottom