What is more important than a new head coach? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is more important than a new head coach?

In your opinion, what is more important going foward?

• A quarterback

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • A head coach

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
Tell that to Peyton Manning.

Same head coach, basically the same players and coaching staff and they go from perennial 10 win seasons and a championship to win-less.
No doubt Peyton is important to that offense, but you're not taking into account that they are 2 years older since Dungy retired and when he left, they were on the decline. The offense was predicated on Peyton Manning calling and excuting plays not an OC and Curtis Painter. The defense is pathetic. Total Defense they rank 28th and in Scoring Defense they are dead last. With Manning playing this year they won't go 0-16 but they probably dont win the division either.

Again, you can't minimize the importance of the right coaching staff. As quickly as you say look at the QBs who have won the Super Bowl I can counter with look at the coach. You'll find more cases of a game manger winning a SB (Dilfer, Johnson,) then you will in an incompetent coach. Even Alex Smith attributes his improved play to finally having a head coach that understands the game, position and how to win.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom line is the two go hand in hand. Merely having solid QB play wont win a Super Bowl by itself.

No doubt Peyton is important to that offense, but you're not taking into account that they are 2 years older since Dungy retired and when he left, they were on the decline. The offense was predicated on Peyton Manning calling and excuting plays not an OC and Curtis Painter. The defense is pathetic. Total Defense they rank 28th and in Scoring Defense they are dead last. With Manning playing this year they won't go 0-16 but they probably dont win the division either.

Again, you can't minimize the importance of the right coaching staff. As quickly as you say look at the QBs who have won the Super Bowl I can counter with look at the coach. You'll find more cases of a game manger winning a SB (Dilfer, Johnson,) then you will in an incompetent coach. Even Alex Smith attributes his improved play to finally having a head coach that understands the game, position and how to win.

1. We cannot predict how the colts would finish with Peyton because hes been winning the division year in and year out with terribly bad defenses his whole career.

2. Put Dilfer in his prime on the Patriots, and I guarantee he could not win a Superbowl. The NFL is completely different than it was a decade ago.

1. We cannot predict how the colts would finish with Peyton because hes been winning the division year in and year out with terribly bad defenses his whole career.

2. Put Dilfer in his prime on the Patriots, and I guarantee he could not win a Superbowl. The NFL is completely different than it was a decade ago.
Tom Brady won Super Bowls with solid defenses. Tom Brady wins the AFC East but hasn't won a playoff game since their defense went to **** starting in 2006.

Peyton Manning also had good defenses when the Colts were going deep into the playoffs.

Good ahead and take the last shot. This debate is pointless from my position. They go hand in hand.

EDIT: Going back through the stats, the Colts consistently ranked at or near the top of scoring defense in the days of the deep runs. This idea of "terribly bad" defenses is unfounded. Do your homework.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part of the reason the Colts had a good scoring defense, though, was that they had the benefit of Peyton Manning on the other side of the ball. Led a lot of sustained drives, gave them good field position, didn't turn the ball over a hell of a lot, and put points on the board so that their pass rushers could just attack the opposing QB.

Play on one side of the ball can definitely impact the other. Look at the Broncos with Tebow. Yeah, Tebow can't throw the ball nearly as well as Kyle Orton, but he also turns the ball over about four times less frequently than Orton and chews up clock with running plays. Makes a difference.

[video=youtube;Iv0bc8CtcWI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv0bc8CtcWI[/video]

He made some good plays but he had alot of breaks and the miracle catch was what won the superbowl

It starts with coaching for sure but a QB is basically the "on-field" coach in my opinion. So to me its more of a Coach 1st vs a VERY close QB 2nd. Chargers are a prime example.

I voted QB ... although I think a Coach can change a team the most.

BECAUSE ... easier to get a good coach ... owner just has to work at it.

A QB on the other hand is very hard to come by, you have to expend a lot of Draft Equity and/or get lucky.

I'll take a QB ... and find a Coach!!

Would you have said the same thing before the Tom Brady era?

well he only coached one year in ne before that era began. I personally dont think tom brady becomes tom brady without bb and the staff he put together, hell belicheck has plenty of castoff players he develops.

a qb no matter how good cant do it all himself. Hell we had the best qb of all time and maybe the best coach of all time together and still no superbowl win. A good coach gives his qb chances to win the big one.

i still think a coach is the most important piece althougha qb is damn important. hell shula almost won a superbowl with david woodley

BUT............Shula was a hell of a Coach, and are D was very good back then.It all go's hand and hand really, as Miami fans we should know that.Everything has to line up just right.

I grew up with Shula and #13, but i also remember the David Woodley days.....You have a chance with one or the other, and a really good chance with both but at this point i'd just like to see just one of them........but i'll hope for both.

I voted for QB, but really i'm with you you on this........We have gone longer without a great Coach then QB, and i'd like us to get a great coach and have him try and land a great QB.

I sure as heck don't think Jeff can get us either.

Dilfer_Trent2_Ravens-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom