What is more important than a new head coach? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is more important than a new head coach?

In your opinion, what is more important going foward?

• A quarterback

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • A head coach

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
Indianapolis Colts 2 years ago with the same coaching staff and front office and pretty much the same roster: made it to the Super Bowl
Indianapolis Colts this year without Peyton Manning: 0-13

so what you are saying is that you want this team to invest in a SINGLE player that is SOOO important that if he gets injured (and god forbid career ending, we will NEVER win another game??

I have been a fan of the Miami Dolphins since 1968. I say this because you mentioned Don Shula almost won a Superbowl with David Woodley. You must remember in the early 80's Professional football was a run first throw second league for all of the teams{i.e.San Francisco}. Today's league is a passing league with the run supporting the offense { i.e. Denver....some say God's team...:-)}.

Using the Colts as an example is kind of silly......when Manning went down they lost their coach AND their QB. They lost the whole offensive game plan.
Tom Brady is crazy talented, but look at the whole offense. Their WR corps is not even close to stellar outside of one TE, their rushing attack isn't even worth talking about and their defense is pathetic. The scheme and game planning makes them what they are and they play to Brady's strengths. Coaching!

Do any of you "QB first" folks really believe that if we had Brady on our team the last 3 seasons we would have gone to the playoffs with Sparano at the helm?? We probably have a better season no doubt, but not drastic. Now, put Moore or Henne on the Pats..........do they go to the bottom of the division? No, they don't. They don't win quite as many, but they still are a contender. I think that the QB makes a difference of course, but the coaching makes a team a force.

Lol. It's a qb and it's not even close. Penny can take a one win team and sparano and carry them both to a division title with an MVP type season. Put Brady or Rodgers on this team and we are insta contenders even with sparano. Give belichick Henne and his team is bad. If Sparano is the coach of green bay this year they still win a superbowl

I'll go with coach. You can have a great QB and still suck with a bad coach (see San Diego), but you can still be good a good team with a great coach and a bad QB (see Denver and San Fran). Coaching comes first, players second.

Lol. It's a qb and it's not even close. Penny can take a one win team and sparano and carry them both to a division title with an MVP type season. Put Brady or Rodgers on this team and we are insta contenders even with sparano. Give belichick Henne and his team is bad. If Sparano is the coach of green bay this year they still win a superbowl

Please tell me that was sarcasm??

Rodgers would have quit that train wreck weeks ago........ Sparano win in Green Bay :crazy:

We had arguably the greatest head coach (Shula) and quarterback (Marino) ever on the Dolphins at the same time, and have no championships to show for that era. It's about the whole team, always has been, always will be, even in this age of admittedly enhanced importance of the QB. And because it is about the team as a whole, the single most important role in any franchise is the GM (or whoever has ultimate say over personnel). That's where I would start -- get someone who will be a star in that role and let them make the calls on coach and QB. Ross made a critical error by retaining Ireland in the GM role.

We had arguably the greatest head coach (Shula) and quarterback (Marino) ever on the Dolphins at the same time, and have no championships to show for that era. It's about the whole team, always has been, always will be, even in this age of admittedly enhanced importance of the QB. And because it is about the team as a whole, the single most important role in any franchise is the GM (or whoever has ultimate say over personnel). That's where I would start -- get someone who will be a star in that role and let them make the calls on coach and QB. Ross made a critical error by retaining Ireland in the GM role.

Not in this day and age. Green Bay and NE have two of the worst defenses in the league. They both have at best average running backs. They have however, the two best qbs in the league and that can mask many things including an awful defense, sub par running games and yes even bad coaches. Manning brought Jim Caldwell to a superbowl. The same coach who cant win a single game this season. Put Chad Henne on that GB team and Mike McCarthy looks a hell of alot closer to Tony Sparano than Don Shula

If we had Aaron Rogers on this team, not only would Sparano still have his job... we would be calling him the best coach since Shula. A QB makes a world of difference

If we had Aaron Rogers on this team, not only would Sparano still have his job... we would be calling him the best coach since Shula. A QB makes a world of difference

Yep. You dont even need Rodgers. Fans were saying that when Penny was leading the team to the division title. Fans were touting him as one of the best coaches in the league after his first year when Penny gave him the Coach of the Year award. Funny how a quarter back can do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. You dont even need Rodgers. Fans were saying that when Penny was leading the team to the division title. Fans were touting him as one of the best coaches in the league after his first year when Penny gave him the Coach of the Year award. Funny how a quarter back can do that.

And fans were saying McCarthy was a bad coach before Rodgers played out of his mind at the end of last season, and now into this season.

BUT............Shula was a hell of a Coach, and are D was very good back then.It all go's hand and hand really, as Miami fans we should know that.Everything has to line up just right.

Actually our defense was really not that good back then, and in my opinion the biggest reason Marino never won a SB. Give a teams with Dan Marino, and a good defense, they will eventually win a SB. Tom Olivadotti destroyed Marino's chance at ever seeing another SB.

I grew up with Shula and #13, but i also remember the David Woodley days.....You have a chance with one or the other, and a really good chance with both but at this point i'd just like to see just one of them........but i'll hope for both.

We will never have two greats like that on one team, but you never know, even if we get one great, and the other good, I will be very happy.

I voted for QB, but really i'm with you you on this........We have gone longer without a great Coach then QB, and i'd like us to get a great coach and have him try and land a great QB.

I sure as heck don't think Jeff can get us either.

You may be surprised, this will not be very tough on both fronts, unless all the top HC prospects refuse to go to Miami, and Miami end up picking too far to have any chance at the top 3 QBs.

Back
Top Bottom