What is your greatest draft day fear? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is your greatest draft day fear?

Completely opposite to the OP, not doing what we have to, to get a generational talent at the most important position on the field and reverting to type by taking a "safe" option instead that doesn't move the needle.

Folks are getting way too carried away with what it is going to take to move up two spots and forgetting that building draft capital was all for this reason anyway.

If there's one thing I'm seeing in this thread, it's that you can't please everyone.

I'm on board with what this team has done, so I'm going to keep trusting the process. I'm tired of being negative on this team and last year showed me that they have an idea of what they are doing.

I'm not a professional scout, so there isn't one player that would upset me (maybe Herbert at 5). My fear would be not addressing positions of need, but considering we need help at just about every position, that would be a tough task.

Mine is that we trade up for a guy who might never even be healthy enough to play a regular season NFL down. We would lose the ability, because of the trade up, to make up for losing Tunsil and wind up with another season of terrible offensive line play, still completely unable to pressure the other team's QB, or cover RBs out of the backfield.

On a side note; do you think "if he's good enough to take at #5, he's good enough to lose our #18 and second round pick to secure." ?

I will say this because I (like most) am no draft "guru" and with QBs, let's be honest, history has shown, you just don't know. I am old enough to remember the neck-and-neck argument about Peyton Manning versus Ryan Leaf. I know Jimmy Johnson (reportedly) regretted trading Steve Walsh when Aikman struggled early in his career. I know Joe Montana slipped to Round 3 and I know some gangling unathletic guy named Brady slipped to Round 6. But here's what else I know - it's the most important position on the team. If you have a serious conviction about a guy, it doesn't matter how much you gave up to get him IF YOU'RE RIGHT - no one will care because they change your franchise. My gut tells me stay at 5, because I think the chips fall in our favour and just the threat that Miami has so much draft capital scares off any team from even trying to move up. I cannot see any of those four teams ahead of us trading out.

Last edited:
Drafting Herbert instead of Burrow, Tua and Love in that order. I can accept trading pick 26 for Tua at 3 or waiting for Love at 5. All the QBs have their warts to speak of but all 3 are excellent talents who would be pick 1 in other drafts.

drafting herbert and then a corner and then a running back in the first round. that is a total disaster.

if tua is not there at 5, take derrick brown, then 2 offensive lineman

I get it! But to say it's a "total disaster" is crazy talk.
These drafts aren't some sure fire, can't be wrong, thing.
They're lottery tickets...that's all.

It could end up being disasters but it could end up being solid too.

My only fear is that they don't make moves based on their convictions, philosophy, and overall vision.
I don't get that this F.O. will make moves based on popular opinion.

I'm 100% with them on making moves they feel is right based on what they know and want out of their team.

When everyone called for Flores to "lose" he said F--- You and kicked-as$

This F.O. isn't drafting to lose...

That no matter what happens numerous people will come on the board to bitch and moan that Miami did the wrong thing and are a bunch of idiots for not following their plan,

You know the plan by a guy with no playing, scouting or any real football experience above high school. He has to know better than guys who have dedicated their lives to this sport.

Rather than open their minds to who WAS selected and rooting for them as the newest members of the franchise you root for.

My only fear is the Dolphins getting cute and bypassing the QB position entirely in round 1.

They can do literally anything else, including drafting Herbert or Fromm in round 1, and I can at least talk myself into it. I'm a long term Dolphins fan, so talking myself into questionable stuff in the name of hope is what I'm best at.

But if they decide to let this golden opportunity for a QB pass them by completely, I just wouldn't know what to do with it. That would be lunacy.

My biggest fear is that we continue on our decades long streak of wildly mediocre drafting. Our last draft class was very underwhelming. I’d argue our two best players were both UDFA. I like Wilkins, but I’d much rather have players who could immediately impact the game.

Back
Top Bottom