What Might Have Been | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Might Have Been

I appreciate opinions from fans of other teams. It certainly makes our board more interesting. But honestly if you didn't see the Dolphins in the early 70's your opinion does mean a lot less to me. Yes, Miami only beat Washington 14-7 in Super Bowl VII, but they also came within 2:07 of the first and only shutout in super bowl history. Also, the longest play from scrimmage for Washington was a paltry 15 yards. Miami dominated that game which was especially more impressive since the Redskins had outscored their playoff opponets 48-6 including a win over the defending super bowl champion Dallas Cowboys. By the way, Pittsburgh barely beat Minnesota in Super Bowl 9 and barely beat Dallas in Super Bowl 10. All of New England's Super Bowl wins are by 3 points. Does that diminish what they did? Of course not.

I do understand the dynamic of discussing best teams ever, though. If you grew up in the 1980's it was the Bears, if you began watching football in the 1990's it was the Cowboys and if you are a kid right now it would be the Patriots. That's the nature of the game. Still, Miami is the only team ever to finish first in total offense, total defense, most points scored and least points allowed. Add that to undefeated and that's pretty hard to argue with regardless of the schedule.

Of course this topic was never about the Jets, or the best team ever, but what Miami may have accomplished if not for the World Football League.

I completely understand that Miami dominated SB VII BUT they didn't put washington away, a 14 point lead is not that big and a fluke play got Washington into the game late. A year later it wasn't an issuie b/c they dominated Minnesota on the field and the scoreboard so a fluke play or even 2 couldn't have gotten Minny in that game in the 4th qtr.

It's not about the margin ion the SB, I wrote they had the 4th lowest margin of victory in the playoffs for a SB winner. Only NE '01 & '03 and NYG '07 won by less PPG. Pitt beat Minny by 10 points in SB IX and in the postseason they won by an average of 13 points compared to 5.6 for Miami. The 3 point wins for NE do not diminish what they accomplished BUT it does remove them from best team of all time discussions b/c they didn't dominate like other great teams.

I grew up in the 80s and my top 5 is SF '89 & '84, Pitt '78, Chi '85 and Dal '92. I respect the previous eras and we cannot compare teams from different eras against one another, we compare what they did against the competition and while those 5 teams above destroyed their postseason competition the '72 Phins did not and yes they were unbeaten and 1st in O and D BUT they didn't face a playoff bound team all season and faced the weakest sched of any SB Champ. That has to be factored in.

Bravo! you keep repeating the same old tired facts while ignoring the more impressive ones...I like that tactic- i really do- shut your eyes tight enough, hold your hands firmly against your ears while hummming "la,la,la, i can't here you." that will always put you firmly ahead in a debate.

Bitter, bitter, bitter... just take a deep breath and let it go. One day your team will do something to be proud of- its the law of averages. :1st:

Whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better.

Ah if i were trying to make myself feel better I would be on a jets message board talking trash about the jets superbowl fluke or about how the jets has not even managed to break even in the won-loss total in their HISTORY. Not patiently explaining to a bitter jets fan that the perfect record AND being ranked #1 in offense and defense has not been done, repeated or duplicated in over 100 years- no matter how EASY the champions schedule was.

100 years- wow- only the truly special can try to minimize that :clapping:

:sidelol:

I completely understand that Miami dominated SB VII BUT they didn't put washington away, a 14 point lead is not that big and a fluke play got Washington into the game late. A year later it wasn't an issuie b/c they dominated Minnesota on the field and the scoreboard so a fluke play or even 2 couldn't have gotten Minny in that game in the 4th qtr.

It's not about the margin ion the SB, I wrote they had the 4th lowest margin of victory in the playoffs for a SB winner. Only NE '01 & '03 and NYG '07 won by less PPG. Pitt beat Minny by 10 points in SB IX and in the postseason they won by an average of 13 points compared to 5.6 for Miami. The 3 point wins for NE do not diminish what they accomplished BUT it does remove them from best team of all time discussions b/c they didn't dominate like other great teams.

I grew up in the 80s and my top 5 is SF '89 & '84, Pitt '78, Chi '85 and Dal '92. I respect the previous eras and we cannot compare teams from different eras against one another, we compare what they did against the competition and while those 5 teams above destroyed their postseason competition the '72 Phins did not and yes they were unbeaten and 1st in O and D BUT they didn't face a playoff bound team all season and faced the weakest sched of any SB Champ. That has to be factored in.

I forgot about the 49ers. Those were great teams. I will say that Super IX (when will they do away with roman numerals?) between Pittsburgh and Minnesota was 9-6 in the fourth quarter and was decided pretty late. The Rams actually gave the Steelers a game too, before Pittsburgh put that one away with two fourth quarter touchdowns. I'm not trying to downplay their titles, but they never did blow a team out. The Cowboys had a chance in both of the super bowls they lost to the Steelers. I still would probably put Pittsburgh second to Dallas as far as NFL franchise history/success goes.

New England, honestly, could be 0-5 in super bowls. Guess they could be 4-1 as well as the Giants needed a great play before eventually winning that one.

As far as Miami during the perfect season they were working Bob Griese back into the starting role during the playoffs, which was pretty risky. I do think Shula played it a little more conservatively in those playoffs. The next year the Dolphins outscored their playoff opponents 85-30. I think it was Carl Eller of the Vikings a few years later who said that was the best team they ever played. One person's opinion, but pretty telling since the Vikings also played the Steelers the following year.

Ah if i were trying to make myself feel better I would be on a jets message board talking trash about the jets superbowl fluke or about how the jets has not even managed to break even in the won-loss total in their HISTORY. Not patiently explaining to a bitter jets fan that the perfect record AND being ranked #1 in offense and defense has not been done, repeated or duplicated in over 100 years- no matter how EASY the champions schedule was.

100 years- wow- only the truly special can try to minimize that :clapping:

:sidelol:

I am not talking trash, I am talking realistically which you cannot handle for some reason. There's no need to take shots at me or my team. Just defend your position but apparently I have struck a nerve.

I forgot about the 49ers. Those were great teams. I will say that Super IX (when will they do away with roman numerals?) between Pittsburgh and Minnesota was 9-6 in the fourth quarter and was decided pretty late. The Rams actually gave the Steelers a game too, before Pittsburgh put that one away with two fourth quarter touchdowns. I'm not trying to downplay their titles, but they never did blow a team out.

Just as the 10 pt Minny win was closer than the scor eindicated the 4 point win over Dallas in SB XIII wasn't as close as the final score indicated and you are correct they didn't blow teams out in the SB but they did ion the AFC playoffs. Miami averaged 5.6 per win in 1972(it went up to 17 in '73) while Pitt's lowest winning margin of their 4 was 9(the other 3 were 13, 18.6 and 15).

I still would probably put Pittsburgh second to Dallas as far as NFL franchise history/success goes.

I agree w/ that. Pitt was a horrible franchise pre-SB era and since the 70s they have been mostly a top organization just like Dallas has been. They each have had a few dips but nothing consistent.

New England, honestly, could be 0-5 in super bowls. Guess they could be 4-1 as well as the Giants needed a great play before eventually winning that one.

NE has now played in 6 SBs(3-3) and their '01 & '03 were 2 of the 3 teams that evraged less than Miami did in1972(as far as victory margin).

As far as Miami during the perfect season they were working Bob Griese back into the starting role during the playoffs, which was pretty risky. I do think Shula played it a little more conservatively in those playoffs. The next year the Dolphins outscored their playoff opponents 85-30. I think it was Carl Eller of the Vikings a few years later who said that was the best team they ever played. One person's opinion, but pretty telling since the Vikings also played the Steelers the following year.

That '73 team I think is in the converstaion for best of all time and Eller played Pitt in Pitt's 1st SB year, they had better teams after that. I definitely agree Miami '73 was better than Pitt '74 and Miami '73 was probably better than 2 or maybe 3 of Pitt's 4 SB teams.

I am not talking trash, I am talking realistically which you cannot handle for some reason. There's no need to take shots at me or my team. Just defend your position but apparently I have struck a nerve.

Just as the 10 pt Minny win was closer than the scor eindicated the 4 point win over Dallas in SB XIII wasn't as close as the final score indicated and you are correct they didn't blow teams out in the SB but they did ion the AFC playoffs. Miami averaged 5.6 per win in 1972(it went up to 17 in '73) while Pitt's lowest winning margin of their 4 was 9(the other 3 were 13, 18.6 and 15).

I agree w/ that. Pitt was a horrible franchise pre-SB era and since the 70s they have been mostly a top organization just like Dallas has been. They each have had a few dips but nothing consistent.

NE has now played in 6 SBs(3-3) and their '01 & '03 were 2 of the 3 teams that evraged less than Miami did in1972(as far as victory margin).

That '73 team I think is in the converstaion for best of all time and Eller played Pitt in Pitt's 1st SB year, they had better teams after that. I definitely agree Miami '73 was better than Pitt '74 and Miami '73 was probably better than 2 or maybe 3 of Pitt's 4 SB teams.

Wow six super bowls for New England. I lost track of one somewhere. I agree that Pittsburgh had better teams after 74-75. They were amazing in 1978-79. That defense was really something, especially against the run. Definitely one of the better teams I've ever seen. The 80's was a great era for football with some of the best players coming from that time period. I think the game has lost a lot since the salary cap, but maybe that's just me. Take care.

Wow six super bowls for New England. I lost track of one somewhere. I agree that Pittsburgh had better teams after 74-75. They were amazing in 1978-79. That defense was really something, especially against the run. Definitely one of the better teams I've ever seen. The 80's was a great era for football with some of the best players coming from that time period. I think the game has lost a lot since the salary cap, but maybe that's just me. Take care.

It's sad that NE has 6 SB appearance now and all have been in the last 23 years whiel I have never seen one:( Hopefully before I die.

It's sad that NE has 6 SB appearance now and all have been in the last 23 years whiel I have never seen one:( Hopefully before I die.

The Jets have been drafting well recently so you never know what might happen. I think our teams are similar in that the qb issue needs to be taken care of to make that next leap. Don't know if either team has the right one.

The Jets have been drafting well recently so you never know what might happen. I think our teams are similar in that the qb issue needs to be taken care of to make that next leap. Don't know if either team has the right one.

10 years ago no one had a clue that NE would be a dynasty so you never know.

Back
Top Bottom