What Might Have Been | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Might Have Been

Miami - 369-267-4 (.580) 9 Hall of Famers

Jets - 322-394-8 (.444) 4 Hall of Famers
At least no one ever accused a Jets fan of being a band wagon jumper.

Enough said!

Super Bowl Titles:

Jets 1
Dolphins 2

Last SB Title:

Jets 1968
Dolphins 1973

That's what counts and if you want to add more recent, relevant history than:

Last 10 seasons:

Div titles:

Jets 2
Dolphins 1

Playoff appearances:

Jets 5
Dolphins 4
(playoff apps since '02 Jets 3 Dolphins zero)

Head to head:

Jets 16-4
Dolphins 4-16

The bottom line is as "great" as you THINK Miami has been and as bad as the Jets have been we only have ONE less Super Bowl Title than you.

You know what also burns you? You guys have turned into the Jets of the 90s. Not only losing badly but getting a new coach every year or 2.

This thread is getting off track, we can discuss this in another thread if you like.

First- its off track because its already been discussed and everyone has come to the only logical conclusion. The only thing keeping this thread alive is a bitter, bitter ny jets fan.

You are like my wife. You want to argue about one thing but when it gets right down to it and you are losing-change the arguement.

*Fact, we were talking about the past- you do know what the past is right?
*fact, championships are championships (it means you are the best at something whether or not it is the division, conf or league.) It only means so little to you because you have so few of those.
*fact, isnt it something you did so well against us over the last 10 years YET we still smash you in every catagory except for head to head. Shows really how pathetic your team is.
*fact, less one day there is nothing historic, grand or even good about the ny jets. no stats in the world, not 100 pages of this thread will change that. the dolphins have something

*FACT- the jets do not.

First- its off track because its already been discussed and everyone has come to the only logical conclusion. The only thing keeping this thread alive is a bitter, bitter ny jets fan.

You are like my wife. You want to argue about one thing but when it gets right down to it and you are losing-change the arguement.

*Fact, we were talking about the past- you do know what the past is right?
*fact, championships are championships (it means you are the best at something whether or not it is the division, conf or league.) It only means so little to you because you have so few of those.
*fact, isnt it something you did so well against us over the last 10 years YET we still smash you in every catagory except for head to head. Shows really how pathetic your team is.
*fact, less one day there is nothing historic, grand or even good about the ny jets. no stats in the world, not 100 pages of this thread will change that. the dolphins have something

*FACT- the jets do not.

The logical conclusion is you would not have won any more SBs, I am not bitter when it comes to the dolphins. I am very jealous of what the Giants did last year and what NE has done this decade but when your franchise has just 1 more SB title there's not alot to be jealous of especially since my team has been better the last decade.

Your "facts" are a little screwed up. You act like the dolphins are an elite franchise when the FACTS are the elite franchise hve more than 2 Super Bowl Titles. You are middle of the pack, we are near the bottom and it eats you alive that your team has just 1 more SB title than my team. You can hide behind div titles from the 70s and 80s or "winning seasons" but Super Bowl titles define greatness not anything else and you haven't won one since before I was born and I am now in my early 30s.

The logical conclusion is you would not have won any more SBs, I am not bitter when it comes to the dolphins. I am very jealous of what the Giants did last year and what NE has done this decade but when your franchise has just 1 more SB title there's not alot to be jealous of especially since my team has been better the last decade.

Your "facts" are a little screwed up. You act like the dolphins are an elite franchise when the FACTS are the elite franchise hve more than 2 Super Bowl Titles. You are middle of the pack, we are near the bottom and it eats you alive that your team has just 1 more SB title than my team. You can hide behind div titles from the 70s and 80s or "winning seasons" but Super Bowl titles define greatness not anything else and you haven't won one since before I was born and I am now in my early 30s.

i have never said elite, never thought elite, i could care less about super bowl titles. we could have been, yes we could have won more. All i said is wh have something no one else does. and THAT is the primary reason you pop your head into every 72 thread

What we do have is an overall winning record. what we do have is 12 division titles. what we do have is a perfect season. those are things that a fan can hold onto. Thats why you try to tear the 72 and 73 team down. these things we have you can never understand. One more title means nothing. Even if the jets were to win the superbowl title next year you still wouldnt be in the same class. Miami won consistantly over a 30 year period. In fact they swept the jets for an entire DECADE. the jets won consistantly for what 3 years and then back near the bottom again?

It is really funny how much i dislike fans of the jets- yes even more than new england and buffalo. Simply because where there is a discussion on the 72 fins there is a jets fan. Its endless-where are those dang bills and patsy fans?... I am not bitter. i just HATE simple facts portrayed to prop up a baseless arguement. And THAT is what jets fans are experts at doing. :err:

What we do have is an overall winning record. what we do have is 12 division titles. what we do have is a perfect season. those are things that a fan can hold onto. Thats why you try to tear the 72 and 73 team down. these things we have you can never understand. One more title means nothing. Even if the jets were to win the superbowl title next year you still wouldnt be in the same class.

You'd like to think that wouldn't you? NE has surpassed Miami as the elite team in the division and they certianly don't have the overall record of "winning seasons" that Miami has had.

In fact they swept the jets for an entire DECADE.

Which decade was this? In the 70s the Jets went 6-14 against Miami. The only decade sweep was the Jets sweeping Miami when they went 8-0 against the dolphins.

It is really funny how much i dislike fans of the jets- yes even more than new england and buffalo. Simply because where there is a discussion on the 72 fins there is a jets fan. Its endless-where are those dang bills and patsy fans?... I am not bitter. i just HATE simple facts portrayed to prop up a baseless arguement. And THAT is what jets fans are experts at doing.

Where did I say anything bad about the '72 dolphins? I have said they were a great team, I have just said they weren't the greatest and now I am commenting on this topic where it is a pathetic attempt to try to make those teams look even better 30+ years later w/ some new excuses.

I am not running aroun saying "dolphins suck",... if that was the case you'd have a point and I wouldn't be here. I am here to inject a dose of reality to you guys when you go overboard w/ your homerism. I have never disputed the fact that the dolphins were a better frnachise than the Jets, I have never disputed the dolphins in '72 are one of the best ever, I consider marino the best QB I have ever seen despite not winning a SB so you can attack me all you want thinking I am a dolphin "hater" just b/c I am a Jet fan or you can engage in some good, fun discussions about these topics w/ an educated rival fan.

you keep saying i refer to miami as elite. that is not the case at all. I have never said it, implied it or hinted at it. I said we have a decent past and the jets do not. I said we have something to be proud of, the jets do not.

I also never said you said anything BAD about the 72 team. I said that you are always there to remind Miami fans that it was not as good as we think it is. And during this time in Miamis history that is really sad. it is not needed.

But i will give you one thing it was buffalo that we swept for an entire decade not the jets.

But the rest of what you said was wrong. A class act would not jump into a 72 thread when their team came off of a 1-15 season.

I also never said you said anything BAD about the 72 team. I said that you are always there to remind Miami fans that it was not as good as we think it is. And during this time in Miamis history that is really sad. it is not needed.

But i will give you one thing it was buffalo that we swept for an entire decade not the jets.

But the rest of what you said was wrong. A class act would not jump into a 72 thread when their team came off of a 1-15 season.

I'm not here to remind you of anything or take anaything away from you guys. I have the ultimate respect for that the dolphins did in the early 70s and I do respect the fact that from the 70s-90s they were usually a playoff contender. I give my opinions, sometimes it's in favor of the dolphins(Marino best QB ever) and sometimes it's not in favor(I do not believe the '72 team was the best all-time). I am not in here just spewing hatred for the dolphins

I'm not here to remind you of anything or take anaything away from you guys. I have the ultimate respect for that the dolphins did in the early 70s and I do respect the fact that from the 70s-90s they were usually a playoff contender. I give my opinions, sometimes it's in favor of the dolphins(Marino best QB ever) and sometimes it's not in favor(I do not believe the '72 team was the best all-time). I am not in here just spewing hatred for the dolphins

Coming from someone who wasn't around to see it, it would be similar to you saying Babe Ruth wasn't the greatest baseball player ever.

It really doesn't matter.

Undefeated has only been done once, and it was the Miami Dolphins who did it.

Babbled on all you want about who in your limited experience is the greatest team ever, it doesn't change that fact.

cut the guy some slack, though he is a jet fan hes been around for ages and is a respected, quality poster ( THE GUY BEING NYJUNC ) who can make a point without trolling. i appreciate rivals fans like that

Coming from someone who wasn't around to see it, it would be similar to you saying Babe Ruth wasn't the greatest baseball player ever.

It really doesn't matter.

Undefeated has only been done once, and it was the Miami Dolphins who did it.

Babbled on all you want about who in your limited experience is the greatest team ever, it doesn't change that fact.

I am knowledgable enough, have read enough, have seen enough clips, taking in enough opinons, seen more than enough to discuss the greatest teams of all time. The '72 team played the weakest sched of any SB Champ and won their postseason games by less than 6 PPG. That was a great team and they deserve to be appreciated for what they did but they weren't even the best dolphin team of all time.

You were what? 9-10 years old? I'm sure at that age and experience you knew it all and could give us an objective point of view.

You are right, nothing will change that Miami went undefeqated BUT it still doesn't make them the best team of all time. You can keep up your homer views on the topic, I guess it makes you feel better, but most knowledgable fans w/o a bias would agree w/ me.

I am knowledgable enough, have read enough, have seen enough clips, taking in enough opinons, seen more than enough to discuss the greatest teams of all time. The '72 team played the weakest sched of any SB Champ and won their postseason games by less than 6 PPG. That was a great team and they deserve to be appreciated for what they did but they weren't even the best dolphin team of all time.

You were what? 9-10 years old? I'm sure at that age and experience you knew it all and could give us an objective point of view.

You are right, nothing will change that Miami went undefeqated BUT it still doesn't make them the best team of all time. You can keep up your homer views on the topic, I guess it makes you feel better, but most knowledgable fans w/o a bias would agree w/ me.

and aslong as you root for the jets you'll be a jackass... you got anything else?

all you do is this "waahhh waahhh... the jets have beaten the dolphins most the time the last 8 1/4 years... wahhhhh wahhh"

again, WHERE IS YOUR TEAM AND WHAT HAS IT ACCOMPLISHED RECENTLY....

N O T H I N G!
:sidelol:

Facts are on my side on this. No other champion was ranked 1 in offense and 1 in defense. as far as i know that at no other time did the #1 seed have to play the #2 seed in thier house. So EVEN IF their schedule was a little weeker- they didnt just become champions they DOMINATED everyone in a way no one has ever done (see above) or has done since.

You call my stance homer yet I do have FACTS to support my argument. If you look it up you will find that isnt a homer view, it is a DIFFERENT view.

Like i said before it isnt about discussing the best team of all time for you. its about putting a damper on the only perfect team...because face it, you hate the dolphins and you are BITTER... and this year, after our record- that is classless.:err:

Facts are on my side on this. No other champion was ranked 1 in offense and 1 in defense. as far as i know that at no other time did the #1 seed have to play the #2 seed in thier house. So EVEN IF their schedule was a little weeker- they didnt just become champions they DOMINATED everyone in a way no one has ever done (see above) or has done since.

You call my stance homer yet I do have FACTS to support my argument. If you look it up you will find that isnt a homer view, it is a DIFFERENT view.

Like i said before it isnt about discussing the best team of all time for you. its about putting a damper on the only perfect team...because face it, you hate the dolphins and you are BITTER... and this year, after our record- that is classless.:err:

No other Champion played as weka a sched, only 1 other Champion didn't play a playoff bound team in the reg season(GB '66 and at most they could have played 1 playoff team the way it was set up in '66), only 3 SB Champs won by a lesser margin of victory(NE '01 & '03 and NYG '07).

I am not trying to put a damper on the '72 phins. they are clearly an all-time great team and I have never said they weren't great I just don't think they are the greatest. I think the '73 Dolphins were better, they happened to play a tougher sched and lose a couple of games but they didn't play around in January.

This has NOTHING to do w/ your record this past season, I don't know why you keep bringing that up. I am being honest and objective, I think that was a great team I just don't think it was the geratest and most non-dolphin fans agree w/ me.

No other Champion played as weka a sched, only 1 other Champion didn't play a playoff bound team in the reg season(GB '66 and at most they could have played 1 playoff team the way it was set up in '66), only 3 SB Champs won by a lesser margin of victory(NE '01 & '03 and NYG '07).

I am not trying to put a damper on the '72 phins. they are clearly an all-time great team and I have never said they weren't great I just don't think they are the greatest. I think the '73 Dolphins were better, they happened to play a tougher sched and lose a couple of games but they didn't play around in January.

This has NOTHING to do w/ your record this past season, I don't know why you keep bringing that up. I am being honest and objective, I think that was a great team I just don't think it was the geratest and most non-dolphin fans agree w/ me.

I appreciate opinions from fans of other teams. It certainly makes our board more interesting. But honestly if you didn't see the Dolphins in the early 70's your opinion does mean a lot less to me. Yes, Miami only beat Washington 14-7 in Super Bowl VII, but they also came within 2:07 of the first and only shutout in super bowl history. Also, the longest play from scrimmage for Washington was a paltry 15 yards. Miami dominated that game which was especially more impressive since the Redskins had outscored their playoff opponets 48-6 including a win over the defending super bowl champion Dallas Cowboys. By the way, Pittsburgh barely beat Minnesota in Super Bowl 9 and barely beat Dallas in Super Bowl 10. All of New England's Super Bowl wins are by 3 points. Does that diminish what they did? Of course not.

I do understand the dynamic of discussing best teams ever, though. If you grew up in the 1980's it was the Bears, if you began watching football in the 1990's it was the Cowboys and if you are a kid right now it would be the Patriots. That's the nature of the game. Still, Miami is the only team ever to finish first in total offense, total defense, most points scored and least points allowed. Add that to undefeated and that's pretty hard to argue with regardless of the schedule.

Of course this topic was never about the Jets, or the best team ever, but what Miami may have accomplished if not for the World Football League.

Bravo! you keep repeating the same old tired facts while ignoring the more impressive ones...I like that tactic- i really do- shut your eyes tight enough, hold your hands firmly against your ears while hummming "la,la,la, i can't here you." that will always put you firmly ahead in a debate.

Bitter, bitter, bitter... just take a deep breath and let it go. One day your team will do something to be proud of- its the law of averages. :1st:

Back
Top Bottom