What Should the Blueprint Be? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Should the Blueprint Be?

Have a mean SOB MLB
Give Brooks some chances in short yard situations.

I wasn't high on Baker but there was a big drop off after he got hurt

Riley is not the answer. I thought Long played great against the run but was bad in coverage

Not opposed to a stud MLB if they can find one in FA or the draft

Riley is not the answer. I thought Long played great against the run but was bad in coverage

Yes, I mean via the draft. We cant afford a top MLB FA. It's really going to be a fascinating offseason.

This is a huge need in my opinion. Not as big a need as a center, but could make a huge difference on defense. We need a thumper in that LB corp....

I dont think the Dolphins are going anywhere as currently constructed. I don't think Tua is good enough and I dont think our OL is good enough and I dont think our defense is good enough.

I think in this day and age you need a QB who has mobility. I would trade for Justin Fields. While he might have a lower floor than Tua I believe he has a much higher ceiling if McD can tailor his offense to his strengths and we can improve our other deficiencies.
Yikes!

So you want to move on from Tua for Justin Fields, who you admit isn't as good and hope that McD can fix him? I don't think that is a very good strategy........

How about we try creating a pocket with the offensive line like Allen and Mahomes enjoy and let Tua not have to throw the ball in 2 seconds to avoid the pass rush. Our entire offensive strategy is built around our QB not having enough time in the pocket due to the O-line weaknesses. Lets fix that first before we bring in a QB that can't pass very well but is more capable of running for his life.....

Hard knocks was a curse
Hard Knocks wouldn't have been bad for a team like Detroit for example, because it would've showcased their tough and driven culture without detracting from it. With this team however it was just what the doctor didn't order because it made them "performers" and thereby put their fun and games/entertainment culture on steroids. So, eliminating Hard Knocks will have a positive effect, but not enough of one if the fun and games/entertainment culture isn't all but eliminated along with it.

We know what Tua is, good but not elite. The most logical thing to do would be to build around him as others have said. Strengthen the OL, add a genuine 3rd WR and add a red zone threat TE.

There wouldn't many many takers for Tua in a trade and we aint gonna draft a rookie QB in a Super Bowl window. It may all get tore down after next season if we fail again.

Then we can look to move on with likely a new GM and HC.

Pass offense and pass defense win in the NFL. This team had the 3rd-best pass offense in the league this year, as measured by EPA per dropback. It had the 13th-best pass defense in the league. It's unrealistic to expect any more efficiency to be extracted from the pass offense, regardless of improvements in the offensive line, tight end, or elsewhere. The pass defense must improve if the team is going to do better next year.

All of that comes in a distant second place to changing the team culture, however, because as long as that remains as-is, the team will be beaten by other good teams that are highly driven to win. The team will simply vary downward in its performance at those times, like it did time and time again this year, regardless of how well it's playing in general. And that's not a recipe for making the playoffs with a high seed nor winning in them.

Someone said it great. Mahomes and Allen seem to have forever to scan the field and find the open receivers. Tua literally has 2 seconds.
Although the GM and HC feel our oline is servicable, we obviously need help there.

We need to trade back from #21 to late 1st early 2nd and replenish some picks.

I would love to get the Center ackson Powers- Johnson from Oregon with a late 1, early 2.

2nd - T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas - HUGE MAN

3rd - Interior O-Line

Great QB play is heavily dependent on having at least somewhat of protection, Tua has not had that ALL YEAR. First of all, we need a new special teams coach and strength and conditioning coach. ST and injuries killed us this year. The next thing we need is a real OC and McD needs to stop calling the plays. We need to run the ball more, period!

After that, it has been an issue for over a decade now.......we need a better OL. Better play was assumed early in the year because we have a QB who can get the ball out so fast. The better teams in the league exposed this because they have the players and ability to knock our timing off a bit. The better teams exposed our OL badly, and as the year goes on and elements get worse, you have to win in the trenches.

On D, we need interior linemen who can put pressure on with mostly 4 man fronts. We need our young DB's to step up. Howard is most likely gone and will need to be replaced. Hopefully Cam can come in and play on par with where he was selected. On O, we need a TE who is a consistent threat that can at least block decently. We also need a physical receiver who can get the jump balls and be a threat in the red zone. Wilson is probably gone, and he was the closest we had.

We HAVE to play more physical football, especially at the end of the year!

KC today is repeating what NE did 20 years ago. They managed to end up with the best of all worlds:

> Both teams had HCs who were objectively great at what they did/do. Reid is to offense what Belichick was to defense.

> Both HCs acquired a Super Bowl ring working under a previous (great). Reid was on Holmgren's '96 Packers staff. Belichick famously worked for the Giants between '79 and '90, most of that being under Parcells.

> Both HCs had decades of experience. Reid began in the NFL in '92 with the Packers. Belichick began with the Lions in '76.

> Both were HCs prior. Reid with the Eagles for 14 years. Belichick with the Browns for 5 years.

> A great staff recruited in part because of the HC's longevity and connections. We could go down the list.

> Both teams happened to draft some Hall-of-Fame weapons: Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Gronk, etc.

> Both had strong defensive rosters. NE early on is obvious, but KC has always been good and is great this year.

> A capable veteran QB installed early on (Alex Smith, Drew Bledsoe).

> Both replaced the 1st QB with a 2nd who turned out to be the greatest QB of a generation (Mahomes, Brady) who had remarkable and unteachable instinct.

> A strong/supportive fanbase along with committed ownership (Hunt family, Kraft).

> A good (cold) homefield advantage. This probably shouldn't be ignored given how many dome teams have historically sucked (Saints, Lions, Falcons, Rams, Colts) and how many warm-weather teams just haven't been that good over the last 20-40 years: Jags, Dolphins, Texans, Panthers, Bucs, Cardinals, etc.

> A division filled with relatively inconsistent teams who can't do much to challenge and who can't sustain any momentum. The Bills, Jets and Dolphins rarely challenged the Patriots, certainly not for any sustained period. In the AFC West today, most teams are over-rated. The Raiders and Broncos aren't very good. The Chargers always seem to disappoint.

KC and NE are exceptional stories. Good for those franchises. Neither could sustain any real success before then. We should hardly be mad at those 2 organizations for randomly winning the lottery and having literally everything come together. There's no predicting who the next one will be. We may not see that level of dominance for another 15 or 20 years.

I'd start with ending the signing or trading for injury prone players, then paying them huge contracts. These contracts have helped shorten Miami's window. These players continue to be unavailable for portions of the season, hurting Miami's on field performances. This has got to change. Also, Stephen Ross needs to stop his behind the scene antics or bringing people in, who do.

KC today is repeating what NE did 20 years ago. They managed to end up with the best of all worlds:

> Both teams had HCs who were objectively great at what they did/do. Reid is to offense what Belichick was to defense.

> Both HCs acquired a Super Bowl ring working under a previous (great). Reid was on Holmgren's '96 Packers staff. Belichick famously worked for the Giants between '79 and '90, most of that being under Parcells.

> Both HCs had decades of experience. Reid began in the NFL in '92 with the Packers. Belichick began with the Lions in '76.

> Both were HCs prior. Reid with the Eagles for 14 years. Belichick with the Browns for 5 years.

> A great staff recruited in part because of the HC's longevity and connections. We could go down the list.

> Both teams happened to draft some Hall-of-Fame weapons: Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Gronk, etc.

> Both had strong defensive rosters. NE early on is obvious, but KC has always been good and is great this year.

> A capable veteran QB installed early on (Alex Smith, Drew Bledsoe).

> Both replaced the 1st QB with a 2nd who turned out to be the greatest QB of a generation (Mahomes, Brady) who had remarkable and unteachable instinct.

> A strong/supportive fanbase along with committed ownership (Hunt family, Kraft).

> A good (cold) homefield advantage. This probably shouldn't be ignored given how many dome teams have historically sucked (Saints, Lions, Falcons, Rams, Colts) and how many warm-weather teams just haven't been that good over the last 20-40 years: Jags, Dolphins, Texans, Panthers, Bucs, Cardinals, etc.

> A division filled with relatively inconsistent teams who can't do much to challenge and who can't sustain any momentum. The Bills, Jets and Dolphins rarely challenged the Patriots, certainly not for any sustained period. In the AFC West today, most teams are over-rated. The Raiders and Broncos aren't very good. The Chargers always seem to disappoint.

KC and NE are exceptional stories. Good for those franchises. Neither could sustain any real success before then. We should hardly be mad at those 2 organizations for randomly winning the lottery and having literally everything come together. There's no predicting who the next one will be. We may not see that level of dominance for another 15 or 20 years.
Good information. I didn't realize Bellichick started with the Lions.

Yeah, definitely hard to duplicate that success. What are the odds that Miami, or any team, will find a quarterback as good as Mahomes? Virtually none.

That's kind of why I thought about the Giants. Eli Manning was nowhere near as good as Tom Brady, but New York beat them twice in the super bowl.

Miami doesn't have Mahomes, so how do you beat those kinds of quarterbacks? Force them to get rid if the ball more quickly than they want etc. Pressure from everywhere, good tackling that limits three yard check downs to three yard gains.

The Dolphins could load up on offense. I would love both a smothering defense and a loaded offense, but we know how hard it is to have both with the salary cap.

Interestingly, KC chose to strengthen their defense when they traded Hill. The offense dipped, but they still won a super bowl.

Positional value, I keep hearing all these people that want to overdraft a TE. That is the way you become the Falcons.

OL is right behind QB in my opinion. Skill players are great, but they are only good if the OL is good. My #1 target for this draft is Amarius Mims. Get that stud LT for the next decade.

Edge is very importan, but we have Chubb and Phillips. I would keep AVG if the price is reasonable. Let Wilkins walk, too much money. Use that second round pick to draft a stud DT.
I liked then unliked your post because you said to let Wilkins walk... its not just that easy to replace someone like that and also create another hole in the defense. If any holes are created I think the cb position getting rid of x would be better. Like you said, we need ol and linebackers. Every single FA and draftee should be o linemen and linebackers. Forget about anything else right now

I'd start with ending the signing or trading for injury prone players, then paying them huge contracts. These contracts have helped shorten Miami's window. These players continue to be unavailable for portions of the season, hurting Miami's on field performances. This has got to change. Also, Stephen Ross needs to stop his behind the scene antics or bringing people in, who do.
I've been screaming this for year only to be met here on this site with... there's no such thing as injury prone players. Not sure what to make of that

Back
Top Bottom