What value does Cook have to this team as far as a contract offer? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What value does Cook have to this team as far as a contract offer?

What is the top contract you would offer?

• 4-5m per, two year deal, fully guaranteed

• 5-7m per, three year deal, 13m guaranteed

• 7-9m per, three year deal, 17m guaranteed

• 9-11m per, three year deal, 20m guaranteed

• Less than any of these

• More than any of these

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mach2

Never go full Colin Cowherd........
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a view by some that the Cook question is a simple yes or no, and that anyone who is not unconditionally on board is "anti-Cook".

I disagree. I think it is a cost/benefit question, moreso than anything.

I would like to see what my brother Phin fans think is an appropriate contract offer.

We can't possibly account for all variables, but I will attempt a range of possibilities.

I wanted 3 mil per, 3 year 10 mil deal. Fully guaranteed. He would be the highest paid back on the team and would take a hometown discount. Would I spend a little more per year if need be? Most definitely but not much more.

We need whatever oline help we can get. If we need to save this money and roll it over to invest in some prospects there, then so be it, but we need to invest in that part of the team or it wont matter who our RBs are.

RBs are a dime a dozen. Oline help is much more difficult to find apparently. And if you are named Chris Grier you are impervious to it.

Last edited:
Good topic, I contemplated starting it a few times but I get screamed at by the Cook bandwagon for suggesting it’s not a no brainer.

I’m estimating his value at right around $6M for this year and based on that, I would’ve been ok if we did, ok if we didn’t.

Anything under $5M would’ve been a steal and anything over $7M I wouldn’t have considered.

Anyone who spends a fair amount of time looking our 2024 cap numbers wouldn’t be too enamored with spending a big chunk on a RB.

I get the rationale behind throwing caution to the wind and just going for it this year, so to speak. When you combine all the variables though, it doesn’t appear we need to make this our final move.

Gotta take advantage of the rookie RB contract. You have Achane cheap for 3 years before he asks for a new deal. I don’t want to give one of those years away right now.

Additionally, I want to leave the door open to making a trade before the trade deadline.

Say the Rams want to deal Aaron Donald because they are 1-6?

Say the Browns want to trade Jack Conklin or Myles Garrett because they are 3-4 and $70m+ over next years cap and need to start working on that now. If you want a RB, maybe waiting is the best play. Because those same Browns might want to move on from Nick Chubb too (through no fault of his own). If the Browns are hanging around 4th place by Halloween, they could trade A LOT of players.

Derrick Henry on a bad Titans team could need a new home mid season.

I say wait til you know what your team looks like before making that final all-in move.

Using the poll’s parameters:

A. Cost
— $5MM - $7MM AAV
— 3yr: $15M - $21MM, $13MM guaranteed

B. Benefits (3yr average x 95% aging decline)
— plays 15 regular season games; available for playoffs
— 21 touches per game @ 4.8 yards; 1,542 total yards
— 11 rushing TDs; 1 receiving TD
— 35% discount for Top 5 RB

Release Keion Crossen ($2.9) and Myles Gaskin ($1.1) and Y1 deal is over half covered. The RB room is enhanced; CB room slightly weakened.

Some of these options are laughable. We gave Chase Edmonds two years, $12 million. Dalvin Cook is 27 and has made four straight Pro Bowls.
Edmunds was a big mistake, though. Would you not agree?

Why would one use a failure to justify doing something else?

Edmunds was a big mistake, though. Would you not agree?

Why would one use a failure to justify doing something else?
Edmonds was a mistake because Edmonds isn’t good. Much like Ced Wilson, we paid a borderline starter on the assumption they’d become a quality starter with more playing time. It was a bad assumption.

Dalvin Cook isn’t a borderline starter. He’s a superstar who’s made four consecutive Pro Bowls before his 28th birthday. He’s worth significantly more than our best case scenario of what we hoped Chase Edmonds might become. It’s not a justification; it’s what a running back is worth in general and to this Dolphins regime. $4-5 million per year is Samaje Perine money.

Edmonds was a mistake because Edmonds isn’t good. Much like Ced Wilson, we paid a borderline starter on the assumption they’d become a quality starter with more playing time. It was a bad assumption.

Dalvin Cook isn’t a borderline starter. He’s a superstar who’s made four consecutive Pro Bowls before his 28th birthday. He’s worth significantly more than our best case scenario of what we hoped Chase Edmonds might become. It’s not a justification; it’s what a running back is worth in general and to this Dolphins regime. $4-5 million per year is Samaje Perine money.
I'm not the one that made the analogy.....

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

I'm not the one that made the analogy.....

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
It remains a good analogy. You asked why; I explained.

If you don’t think the amount this exact same Dolphins front office and head coach chose to pay a vastly inferior player at the same position 12 months ago is a relevant data point, I suppose you’re entitled to that view.

It remains a good analogy. You asked why; I explained.

If you don’t think the amount this exact same Dolphins front office and head coach chose to pay a vastly inferior player at the same position 12 months ago is a relevant data point, I suppose you’re entitled to that view.
The situation on offense is not the same as when we brought in Edmunds oast season

We had a HC that had never coached a game.

We didn't have J. Wilson.

We didn't have Tyreek Hill.

We didn't have Achane.

We really didn't know for sure what we had in Tua.

You are entitled to your view, as well. I respect it. I just happen to disagree on this one.

You can’t compare the Edmonds signing to possibly adding Cook.

Your talking about our first FA last year when we had a lot of cap space. Fast forward to now and we’re set to lose a lot of guys who play on LOS next year because we are cash strapped.

We also didn’t have two RBs on the roster who averaged a half yard more than DC last year, when we signed Edmonds.

Also didn’t have Achane.

Horrible comparison.

The situation on offense is not the same as when we brought in Edmunds oast season

We had a HC that had never coached a game.

We didn't have J. Wilson.

We didn't have Tyreek Hill.

We didn't have Achane.

We really didn't know for sure what we had in Tua.

You are entitled to your view, as well. I respect it. I just happen to disagree on this one.
That’s fair enough. I can respect that. I agree that we’re in a different place on offense.

We’ll know soon enough either way—I have to imagine the Cook situation will resolve in the next week or two, one way or the other.

You can’t compare the Edmunds signing to possibly adding Cook.

Your talking about our first FA last year when we had a lot of cap space. Fast forward to now and we’re set to lose a lot of guys who play on LOS next year because we are cash strapped.

We also didn’t have two RBs on the roster who averaged a half yard more than DC last year.

Also didn’t have Achane.

Horrible comparison.
We’re not set to lose a single guy who plays on the LOS next year because we are cash strapped. You don’t understand the salary cap. Stop spreading this same misinformation in every thread.

Well if he wants much more than that he's gonna be playing somewhere else. We simply don't have the future cap space.

Back
Top Bottom