What will we do if..... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What will we do if.....

You can forget about Rivers. He isn't gonna be there at 20.

Ok first off....

Becasue if we take Rivers in the 1st, doesn't mean we'll get a first round pick from another team for his services. that's not garaunteed.

Secondly if Feely works out well, then it will be that much more harder to convince teams that Rivers is worth a 1st round pick in a trade, because one he won't see much playing time this year barring injury and him dropping will raise question marks.

You can make all these scenarios, and they sound great, however, from a FO/Scout/NFL analyst point of view, it would be the equivilant of Buffalo taking Mcgahee, ...a wasted pick

I know he's not going to be there at 20, but this all started by saying that if he is there at 20 we still shouldn't take him, b/c we invested in Feeley. The guy's too good to be there at 20.

"Becasue if we take Rivers in the 1st, doesn't mean we'll get a first round pick from another team for his services. that's not garaunteed.

Secondly if Feely works out well, then it will be that much more harder to convince teams that Rivers is worth a 1st round pick in a trade, because one he won't see much playing time this year barring injury and him dropping will raise question marks.

You can make all these scenarios, and they sound great, however, from a FO/Scout/NFL analyst point of view, it would be the equivilant of Buffalo taking Mcgahee, ...a wasted pick"

We'll see if Mcgahee was a wasted pick this year. I believe he's going to be a star for years to come also. Excellent pick by Buffalo. Yeah it hurt them last year, but this year it will pay off dividends.

It would be more feesable

Originally posted by rafael

Exactly, upgrading our ST this year isn't going to be the difference btw winning a SB or not. Odds are that NOBODY we draft will make a big impact this year. So if we're drafting for the future, you do so at the most important position!

If we were in a position like the Cards, raiders, bills, giants, or bears, where we have a new caoching regime and we have the

time to look long term. But we don't, and all the moves we've made thus far have been to get younger for the future but help us win now. Rivers doesn't fit that mold.

Re: Ok first off....

Originally posted by rhadaddy
Becasue if we take Rivers in the 1st, doesn't mean we'll get a first round pick from another team for his services. that's not garaunteed.

You can make all these scenarios, and they sound great, however, from a FO/Scout/NFL analyst point of view, it would be the equivilant of Buffalo taking Mcgahee, ...a wasted pick

The difference is that Buffalo had a young pro bowl running back and then took a running back.

Miami has a young QB who's played 5 games and is on nobody's probowl list. I'm hopeful, but this is a ? at best.

Terrible pick by Buffalo(Mcgahee). The only way he's worth is if he turns to be WAY better than Travis Henry. Even then Buffalo won't get good trade value in return for Henry if they want to get rid of him.

it worked out so great that

Originally posted by caneproud117
"Becasue if we take Rivers in the 1st, doesn't mean we'll get a first round pick from another team for his services. that's not garaunteed.

You can make all these scenarios, and they sound great, however, from a FO/Scout/NFL analyst point of view, it would be the equivilant of Buffalo taking Mcgahee, ...a wasted pick"

We'll see if Mcgahee was a wasted pick this year. I believe he's going to be a star for years to come also. Excellent pick by Buffalo. Yeah it hurt them last year, but this year it will pay off dividends.

their coaching staff was let go and Donahoe is on a short leash. Just wonderful.

Even if McGahee pans out and you trade away henry for a 1st. you've still lost value on you're first round pick.

Check out the ole' jimmy johnson draft pick value theory, and uless they get a first and say a player or another pick like a second or third, which I doubt they would, because of Henry's fumbling problems, they've lost value of that pick.

Re: It would be more feesable

If we were in a position like the Cards, raiders, bills, giants, or bears, where we have a new caoching regime and we have the

time to look long term. But we don't, and all the moves we've made thus far have been to get younger for the future but help us win now. Rivers doesn't fit that mold.

Odds are that nobody we draft will help us win now. This team should have all the starters in place by draft time. We should even have backups in place. The draft will, hopefully, provide an upgrade to a backup position and a future starter. Rivers fits that mold as well as as any draft pick. He just happens to play the most important position.

You have to make investments, this GM game is much like being a business man. Suppose you have a machine that you can either repair or replace and you are given these options.
1.) You can keep your old machine, because slowly it is breaking down, but if you repair it, it will still run fine for the next 2 years or so. What does that leave you with: An old machine still, that needs to be fixed 2 years down the road.
2.) You can replace your old machine, for the same financial investment that it would cost you to repair your machine for 10 years. Knowing that your new machine will last for 10 years. What does that leave you with at the end of 10 years: A newer machine than the old one that you could possiblely retain a salvage value for at the end of it's service life and the same usefulness of the old repaired machine.

Originally posted by LIQUID24
Terrible pick by Buffalo(Mcgahee). The only way he's worth is if he turns to be WAY better than Travis Henry. Even then Buffalo won't get good trade value in return for Henry if they want to get rid of him.

I agree, it was a terrible pick.

"their coaching staff was let go and Donahoe is on a short leash. Just wonderful.

Even if McGahee pans out and you trade away henry for a 1st. you've still lost value on you're first round pick.

Check out the ole' jimmy johnson draft pick value theory, and uless they get a first and say a player or another pick like a second or third, which I doubt they would, because of Henry's fumbling problems, they've lost value of that pick."

Yes you've lost value on your first round pick, but now you have a star running back for years to come. You forgot to mention that.

Even still,

Originally posted by rafael

The difference is that Buffalo had a young pro bowl running back and then took a running back.

Miami has a young QB who's played 5 games and is on nobody's probowl list. I'm hopeful, but this is a ? at best.

Yeah a running back who may never regain his form from college again. look at Edge, he's just getting back to his old self and he's not the same dominant running back he was before the injury.

Mcgahee's injury was worse.

Not only that, One of their biggest weaknesses was at wr and o-line.

i would say it was a dumb pick that got their coaching staff fired.

Re: Even still,

Yeah a running back who may never regain his form from college again. look at Edge, he's just getting back to his old self and he's not the same dominant running back he was before the injury.

Mcgahee's injury was worse.

Not only that, One of their biggest weaknesses was at wr and o-line.

i would say it was a dumb pick that got their coaching staff fired.

I also believe it was a bad pick. It just is a completely different situation than Miami is in this year.

Back
Top Bottom