What will Wilkins extension cost? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What will Wilkins extension cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aaron Donald or maybe like prime Suh/ Chris Jones are worth that. I honestly don't even think they are worth that. It's a frickin dt. It's not a QB, wr or outside pass rusher
What did we give Suh back in the day? I remember it being a big, if not bad, contract.

The Dolphins used a first round pick on him and he has gotten better every year in the league. He is the best player on the defensive line and a great teammate.
I have no desire to see him playing in another uniform and he is just the type player Belichick will sign if the Dolphins are dumb enough to let him go in free agency. I prefer they sign him to a new contract, no matter what it might cost.

He is the heart of the defense, sometimes you just have to overpay to reward a player whose done everything that has been asked of him. Very good player, team mate and leader for this team
Lawyer Milloy was a leader, captain and good player for the Pats and they cut his ass anyways. The reward was the millions he’s accumulated for 4 years of service.

I really like Wilkins, but we don’t need to extend him. We can let him play this season then franchise tag him if his value is still this high after the season. He should have much more urgency to get a deal done than us.

I would not be giving him $20 million plus in real AAV. He’s worth $16-18. I don’t care what the top line number is if we have to pad it with fake money to make him feel good about it.

Really torn on this.

Love CW, his play, his motor, his leadership.

Thing I have to ask, would it really be the best allocation of resources in terms of return on investment.

DTs (good ones) can be drafted and play immediately. Perhaps not at Wilkins' level at first, but is the dropoff 20m dollars worth? I have to say probably not.

Tough call....... I can only assume he is looking for a top 3-5 deal, otherwise it would likely be done already.

This is the market for DTs. We've been trying to prepare you for this for months. It's become a much-more expensive position, just as Linebacker has become a much LESS expensive position.
More DTs go in the first round now... they get their 5th year options picked up at a higher rate too.
Sacks are no longer a prerequisite for getting paid... and for those who mention Suh, Wilkins is as close to that as anyone I can imagine. In his three years with us, he got 6, 5, and 4.5 sacks, and averaged right at 60 tackles a year (Wilkins has put up 75 and 81 the last two years).

You can keep repeating it, and ignoring reality, but Tackles are no longer paid on sacks. They just aren't.

Wilkins won’t sniff less then $18MM, and most likely $20MM. He recorded nearly 190 tackles in the last two years—more than any DL (and many LBs) in the NFL. His sacks weren’t impressive, but, with Fangio that might change. DT Akim Hicks’ yearly sacks doubled in Fangio’s system.

Wilkins ceiling is still high, whereas Seiler is over-achieving. Would love to keep both but if anyone goes to avoid large future payouts, it’s Zach.

Wilkins won’t sniff less then $18MM, and most likely $20MM. He recorded nearly 190 tackles in the last two years—more than any DL (and many LBs) in the NFL. His sacks weren’t impressive, but, with Fangio that might change. DT Akim Hicks’ yearly sacks doubled in Fangio’s system.

Wilkins ceiling is still high, whereas Seiler is over-achieving. Would love to keep both but if anyone goes to avoid large future payouts, it’s Zach.
You don't pay premium money for dlineman that aren't good rushing the passer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom