What Would It Take For Miami To Be Serious Contenders In 2019? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Would It Take For Miami To Be Serious Contenders In 2019?

I'm not raining on anybody's parade but to even consider 2019 as being 'serious' contenders the Phins would need a draft from heaven. Instant starters and all pro. Obviously that isn't happening. Alas it's mid to long term. Again. Makes me sick hearing how many times the Pats have reached the AFC Championship game the last decade. Who's fault is that? Well it's 33.3% The Miami Dolphins because our team and it's owner and coaches are so inept that havnt even been able to compete at division level let alone playoffs. Its beyond poor. 2019? Id settle for 2021 going by the average crap we've witnessed the last 20yrs. I'm getting old so please forgive my rant.​

The coming of the wildcat. And a brainwashing machine to make everyone forget it happened before.

1. An offensive line that gels, provides us with a good running game and doesn't get many pre-snap penalties.

2. Stronger play at DT and a pass rush that is more effective than 2018's was (shouldn't be hard to improve on that).

3. Health, particularly at WR and in the secondary. I believe that Wilson and Grant's ability to turn short passes into big gains could make a below average QB put up slightly above-average stats.

4. A QB who doesn't turn the ball over. Probably also will need some escapability, too.

I'm not raining on anybody's parade but to even consider 2019 as being 'serious' contenders the Phins would need a draft from heaven. Instant starters and all pro. Obviously that isn't happening. Alas it's mid to long term. Again. Makes me sick hearing how many times the Pats have reached the AFC Championship game the last decade. Who's fault is that? Well it's 33.3% The Miami Dolphins because our team and it's owner and coaches are so inept that havnt even been able to compete at division level let alone playoffs. Its beyond poor. 2019? Id settle for 2021 going by the average crap we've witnessed the last 20yrs. I'm getting old so please forgive my rant.​
I hear you. Maybe Miami would need a 1974 Steelers type draft. Four Hall of Famers.

Seriously, though, we don't know much about Flores. But if he is the answer that would be huge. What if the team "lucks" into a good/great quarterback in the draft? That coach/quarterback combo could make an immediate difference.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not expecting the team to contend, but things can change pretty dramatically and quickly in the NFL. Now if the team goes with Fales at quarterback, I think a top 5 pick would almost be guaranteed.

"Playoffs? You're asking about playoffs?"

Seriously though, I don't think there is anything that could be done with this roster to turn his thing around in one draft. We are probably one of the least talented rosters in the entire NFL. If we could turn back the clock 20 years, bring in people who knew how to draft and coaches who knew how to coach, then we might be in a different place. Unfortunately, in the universe in which I exist time only flows forwards and we have had to live with 20 years of mind-numbing mediocrity. Now that we know how far we have fallen we can actually move forward to fix it.

I know all the talk is about rebuilding, especially in the trenches. At the very least, it appears the team is ready to play younger players meaning some veterans will be gone. Wake, Jones and maybe Quinn on defense etc.

But, things can change in a hurry in the NFL. Maybe the new coach gets the defense going, maybe a couple of draft picks exceed expectations, perhaps someone like Ballage or Drake busts out with more playing time.

What do you think it would take for the Dolphins to be a surprise contender next season?
You must love going 7-9 every year. No offense, but it's this mind set that's kept this team locked in mediocrity for 20 years. Bandaid here, stitches there, let's do our best to win around 8 games and have no direction for the future. This thinking has failed us for 2 decades now.

I am ecstatic to lose next season... it sounds ridiculous but at least it's a direction. Were gonna tear it down finally and start over. It's like a breath of fresh air, honestly.

If you cant stomach losing 3 or 4 more games than we usually do, to ensure we get a good chance at drafting a franchise QB. Your foolish. Since Marino retired we have had a legit NFL calibur QB for only ONE SEASON, Chad Pennington. If that isnt sad enough to legitimize our decision to rebuild and get a high draft pick, I dont know what is.

You must love going 7-9 every year. No offense, but it's this mind set that's kept this team locked in mediocrity for 20 years. Bandaid here, stitches there, let's do our best to win around 8 games and have no direction for the future. This thinking has failed us for 2 decades now.

I am ecstatic to lose next season... it sounds ridiculous but at least it's a direction. Were gonna tear it down finally and start over. It's like a breath of fresh air, honestly.

If you cant stomach losing 3 or 4 more games than we usually do, to ensure we get a good chance at drafting a franchise QB. Your foolish. Since Marino retired we have had a legit NFL calibur QB for only ONE SEASON, Chad Pennington. If that isnt sad enough to legitimize our decision to rebuild and get a high draft pick, I dont know what is.
Don't get me wrong, I want a franchise quarterback as well. But, not sure the team needs to lose to get one and not sure the team needs to wait until 2020 either. It's possible the team hits big in this draft and lands a potential franchise quarterback. Remember, Patrick Mahomes was a 10th overall pick. The word from the draft experts was how raw he was, that the system he played in wouldn't translate to the NFL etc.

I'm for rebuilding the right way. If it means a few down seasons so be it. I think it makes sense to give young players a chance to play as well. We've seen too much young talent waiting in the wings. What I don't want to see, though, is tearing it up the way the Raiders have. With all their draft picks, they won't find a pass rusher close to Mack. In other words, I want Miami to keep Howard, Tunsil and Fitzpatrick. Those are the current building blocks.

Lucking into a Marino tier quarterback and a Shula tier coach.
This is really where any argument fails. With Marino and Shula we went:
1x 14-2
2x 12-4
1x 11-5
2x 10-6
3x 9-7
4x 8-8
1x 8-7
1x 6-10

In 11 of 15 seasons we were hovering between 6-10 and 10-6. Pretty much where we are since going 11-5 in 2008. The difference back in the 90s the AFC East and the AFC was more competitive which gave us more playoff appearances at 10-6. We even made the playoffs three times at 9-7 during that time.
It should also be noted that we went two times 12-4 and one time 14-2 during Marino's first three years.
The rest of the way (12 years) we went 11 times between 6-10 and 10-6.

It is always easier to improve from a 7-9 or 8-8 team than from being a 3-13 team. One good draft and one good FA season can push you into a playoff contender.

Tbe only thing I think can take us potentially from zero to hero in 2019 would be

Kyler Murray.

Not saying he would but it would be a fun ride in 19 I know that much.

They should try being competent first. The only way they could contend is if every team's players, except for the Fins, got suspended for the year for whatever reason, and had to use replacement players. And even then, I'm not willing to bet on it.

This is really where any argument fails. With Marino and Shula we went:
1x 14-2
2x 12-4
1x 11-5
2x 10-6
3x 9-7
4x 8-8
1x 8-7
1x 6-10

In 11 of 15 seasons we were hovering between 6-10 and 10-6. Pretty much where we are since going 11-5 in 2008. The difference back in the 90s the AFC East and the AFC was more competitive which gave us more playoff appearances at 10-6. We even made the playoffs three times at 9-7 during that time.
It should also be noted that we went two times 12-4 and one time 14-2 during Marino's first three years.
The rest of the way (12 years) we went 11 times between 6-10 and 10-6.

It is always easier to improve from a 7-9 or 8-8 team than from being a 3-13 team. One good draft and one good FA season can push you into a playoff contender.

That record is more indicative of Shula the drafter than Shula the coach. Should we get a Shula tier coach we just need not let him buy the groceries.

Pretty ridiculous to talk about even a winning season— much less being a contender— without knowing who the quarterback is going to be.

Disagree.

It’s about putting *a* QB in a position to win. You can win with Tim Tebow. You can win with Lamar Jackson. You do so by working your team...and your QB...in a position to succeed based on strengths.

Can this team be a serious contender in 2019? Sure, if everything falls perfectly. But I wouldn’t mortgage a rebuild another year for that chance.

I don’t think the Fins will aim for 2019.

Back
Top Bottom