What would it take to trade from 5 to 3? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What would it take to trade from 5 to 3?

Dolfansal

Starter
Reaction score
Flores has a relationship with Matt Patricia. Might help/ might not. What would we have to give up to move from 5 to 3?

If the Chargers are ready to throw everything at this fight I believe it would probably take the #27 pick plus a 2nd rounder in 2021.

But if the threat isn't real and Miami are doing this more or less because they don't want to risk calling Detroit's bluff, then could be just the #39 pick.

It probably take 2 of our first round picks. Or 2 firsts and one of our 2nd rounds

If the Chargers move up from #6 I would think that it's for Herbert.

If the Chargers are ready to throw everything at this fight I believe it would probably take the #27 pick plus a 2nd rounder in 2021.

But if the threat isn't real and Miami are doing this more or less because they don't want to risk calling Detroit's bluff, then could be just the #39 pick.

Hey CK. Can you honestly see a team trading up for Tua? It's a dumb question if he's healthy and not coming off that hip injury, but even if he's progressing well that's a sizable risk. If I'm the Chargers, I play the waiting game. If the Dolphins take Tua, then LA goes Herbert.

I realize anything can happen with quarterbacks. I just think Miami is in good shape at #5.

Just watch the draft process unfold over the next few months and you will see QBs quickly moving up teams draft boards. I would not be surprised if the draft unfolded like this:

Bengals: Joe Burrow
Redskins: Tua
Detroit: Chase Young
Giants: Jeff Okudah
Dolphins: Jordan Love
Chargers: Justin Herbert

Not sure Ron Rivera wants to tie himself to Dwayne Haskins.

Hey CK. Can you honestly see a team trading up for Tua? It's a dumb question if he's healthy and not coming off that hip injury, but even if he's progressing well that's a sizable risk. If I'm the Chargers, I play the waiting game. If the Dolphins take Tua, then LA goes Herbert.

I realize anything can happen with quarterbacks. I just think Miami is in good shape at #5.

If his hip is good, absolutely.

He's been regarded as the potential #1 pick in the draft since his freshman year.

Only for Chase Young.

Chase Young is an excellent player, but we saw two games where he was negated. I don't think this is a shot at the player, more the value of the position. The teams found a way to limit his impact. JJ Watt was out for a large number of games this year and Houston was largely unaffected.

The QB is the only position that has an impact on the game, good or bad, every single game. The QB basically has the same value as 4 other starters, if not more, based on that impact. That is why you see teams willing to give up picks to move up and acquire QBs, but you rarely see it happen for other positions...at least for the amount teams are willing to give up.

Chase Young is an excellent player, but we saw two games where he was negated. I don't think this is a shot at the player, more the value of the position. The teams found a way to limit his impact. JJ Watt was out for a large number of games this year and Houston was largely unaffected.

The QB is the only position that has an impact on the game, good or bad, every single game. The QB basically has the same value as 4 other starters, if not more, based on that impact. That is why you see teams willing to give up picks to move up and acquire QBs, but you rarely see it happen for other positions...at least for the amount teams are willing to give up.
I understand your point.
I like Young's production, and also expect him to be an outstanding Pro. I think in our scheme he could create tremendous mismatches standing up at OLB in the 3-4 or with hand down in the 4-3. I'd love to see him in a Miami Uniform and I'm not sold enough on the QB situation to want to trade up in the top 5 for any of them. I do like Tua though and so although I'd rather not take him at 5 I support it if we do. He's a special player and person.

Last edited:

As of now - Chargers have 6 and 37...
IMO 5 & 39 >> 6 & 37
Of course SD can offer more - Tricky business...
To really win this draft and take advantage of our draft arsenal - it really depends on the Jordan Love evaluation.
Is Jordan Love plus significant value (Rd 2 this year/ Rd 2 next year) > Tua.
If so- you can play the board. Maybe trade with Chargers. Maybe flip with Cards or an OL hungry team.

Back
Top Bottom