What would it take to trade from 5 to 3? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What would it take to trade from 5 to 3?

There a lot of quality players in the draft, I stay at 5 and make my pick.

Wouldn't give up picks to move up.

I'm staying at 5 god willing and the creek don't rise someone trades up and gets Tua before than I will settle for Herbert at 5 no way I'm taking Love.

Hey CK. Can you honestly see a team trading up for Tua? It's a dumb question if he's healthy and not coming off that hip injury, but even if he's progressing well that's a sizable risk. If I'm the Chargers, I play the waiting game. If the Dolphins take Tua, then LA goes Herbert.

I realize anything can happen with quarterbacks. I just think Miami is in good shape at #5.

Yeah, I can see it happening.

We do need to get to 2, preferably before draft day, to save ourselves the anxiety. If we get to three only for the Redskins to pick him, that's gonna be a colossal fail. We have to call the skins and give them something they can't refuse, if that's all our firsts plus a lower pick, then so be it.

We do need to get to 2, preferably before draft day, to save ourselves the anxiety. If we get to three only for the Redskins to pick him, that's gonna be a colossal fail. We have to call the skins and give them something they can't refuse, if that's all our firsts plus a lower pick, then so be it.

With respect... I am soooo glad that you are not the GM.

Chase Young is an excellent player, but we saw two games where he was negated.

Negated is a technicality. Only in stats, not impact. A team game planning for one player and changing what they normally do makes that player quite impactful even if he doesn't record sacks/tackles.

Nick Bosa was doing for the 49ers the 1st half what Chase Young did for OSU. Now teams are game planning specifically against him. So his stats have been 'negated' to a point (Armstead has more sacks than Bosa) but his impact has not been negated. Other players (like Armstead, Buckner) are stepping up due to being freed up. Same applied to Ohio State's defense. And the same will apply to whatever NFL defense Chase Young ends up on once he starts to make an impact upon being singled up at first.

It would take two fewer garbage victories.

Flores looks tough on the sideline. Look at Parker catching that ball.

Yeah, how wonderful. The best combo is anyone who was rooting for victories and doesn't want Tua. Talk about a litmus test. I'm sure that group encompasses many. And those are the ones who don't need to be anywhere near general manager.

I didn't realize Detroit was picking ahead of the Giants. Not that it really matters other than obviously more ammo needed to bump that one spot.

Is Ron Rivera really going to sign up for Chase Young while allowing Dwayne Haskins to dictate his fate, in what is most likely his final head coaching gig? I liked many posts in this thread. That one stood out above all. I couldn't do it. What is best case scenario? It reminds me of Butch Davis somehow linking his NFL fortunes to Tim Couch.

Negated is a technicality. Only in stats, not impact. A team game planning for one player and changing what they normally do makes that player quite impactful even if he doesn't record sacks/tackles.

Nick Bosa was doing for the 49ers the 1st half what Chase Young did for OSU. Now teams are game planning specifically against him. So his stats have been 'negated' to a point (Armstead has more sacks than Bosa) but his impact has not been negated. Other players (like Armstead, Buckner) are stepping up due to being freed up. Same applied to Ohio State's defense. And the same will apply to whatever NFL defense Chase Young ends up on once he starts to make an impact upon being singled up at first.

Ohio State has so many elite players you aren't avoiding anything by altering game plan. It's merely another convenient rationalization. Bosa likewise is on a team with top notch defenders all over the place.

The reason Baron Browning flashed to that sack is due to Baron Browning's ability level. It had nothing to due with Chase Young. Browning is considerably faster than Chase Young and considerably more explosive. Browning was a 5 star recruit and one of the top handful of players in the country. Top rated linebacker. That's why it's so ridiculous to claim that opponents are determined to avoid Chase Young so they can set things up for the likes of Baron Browning.

If you want the specifics they were Browning 4.56 in the 40 and 37.4 inch vertical jump, compared to Chase Young at 4.94 and 30.3

With respect... I am soooo glad that you are not the GM.

The feeling is so mutual dude, I could only imagine the disasters you would inflict on this franchise if you were being paid the big bucks.

you take that player you want a 5 your already gambling on his health, no need to double down. I honestly
don’t see any team picking before us selecting Tua Only because of the uncertainty and I don’t see anyone jumping us and giving up resources on the IF.

Comparisons are never that accurate but in the most recent similar case the Jets moved up from 6 to 3 to take Darnold and on top of the 6th pick had to give up three 2nd rounders (two that year and one a year later).

If Tua was fit and healthy then Detroit would be beating off suitors and cashing in, but you have to look at the demand given Tua's situation and the position other teams and their coaches/GMs are in. Neither San Diego or Carolina have any additional picks in the first three rounds, so are going to either trade away talent or perhaps their 1st and 2nd this year and a 1st next year would be enough, which we could easily match/beat. Looking further out Indy have an extra 2nd this year, Jacksonville and extra 1st and the Raiders an extra 1st and two extra 3rds, but no 2nd, however the price for Indy and the Raiders to move up is going to be higher as they're picking in the teens. Jacksonville's lowest pick is at 9 but they have the consideration that they cannot cut Foles and have the semi-effective fan favourite Minshew in place, plus Doug Marrone may be in win-now mode.

However are any of those teams going to want to give up additional 1st and 2nd round picks given Tua's medical situation? There's an element of risk using a high pick on him let alone multiple picks. Of course we have to answer the same question, but if the answer is no all around we're still in the driving seat given that we're picking first. That will either mean trading up is not required or it will drive the price down.

Detroit's situation is also a factor as they are in win-now mode and another failure will likely see their HC and GM fired this time next year, so the same reason they're unlikely to take Tua means that they're unlikely to be that enamoured by trades that involve picks next year and are going to want to make a trade that gives maximum value this year. Advantage Miami. Likewise with how far they trade back; depending on who they fall in love with they may not want to risk trading too far back and missing out on a great player (Okuda, Brown) to the Giants or us. Imagine if they traded back to 6 or 7 so that the Chargers or Panthers could take Tua and then we took the defensive player they were hoping to snag; if they trade back with us then they only have to worry about the Giants taking their preferred choice. They have very little room to **** their draft up and that will play on their mind. Advantage Miami, again.

I also wonder if there may be some fun and games with information released by Tua's team. It would be incredibly naive to believe that we have not been in close contact with his team regarding the prospect of drafting him; if there's an accepted agreement that we will be drafting him and he wants to come here could his team be less revealing regarding positive news about his recovery to either dissuade other teams from trading up or to fool Detroit into thinking that there's a bigger risk in picking him and thus drive their asking price down? I can't believe that sort of thing doesn't go on. I've seen Jerry Maguire.

As for the Giants trading back, Dave Gettleman is a buffoon who has never shown an inclination to trade back even when it would have netted him a great deal and likes to lock onto players early. He is also on the hot seat and is going to want to do whatever he can to defend his choice of Daniel Jones. He needs Jones to be a success this year, so you can probably use a permanent pen to mark down Andrew Thomas to the Giants at #4.

Last edited:
Tua had a good report but he isn't even out of the woods so to speak needs another 16 weeks, not sure how long it will be for him to get on the field just to test and see where he is at, all this speculation that some team will jump ahead of us is crap, who's going to bet on him jumping over us at 5 when they don't even know if he will make it back on to the field and he will be a different player if he does, I don't see him running for 1st downs anymore, he use to be the best passer in college is he still?

All this crap is over hyped, and a big gamble for the Dolphins to take him at 5 and sit him a year not knowing if he will ever see the field again, how did the gamble turn out with 2 of our top picks both could be consider top 5 Tunsil and Mankah - we didn't make out on either. Spending additional resources to move up in the draft would be foolish. There are QB's coming out in 2021.

Back
Top Bottom