What's a bigger need, RB or seam TE? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's a bigger need, RB or seam TE?

of course we need to fix the oline in order for everything else to work but as much as an line can help a RB, a RB can also make an oline look better. It's been a long while since we had a top RB.

Ozzy rules!!

This.

I think I'd put RB at a bigger need. Thomas NEEDS to go. Miller is unproven as there can be. Clay can get the job done, but can be eliminated and isn't a "seam" TE. I'd consider Niklas from ND in the draft (not a first rounder) and draft a RB too. Niklas is a developmental guy though. Not as much as Egnew but still

I'll echo the comments that say we need a better o-line first. But I also think we need a strong run-blocking rb. I'd rather get a rb who can really block for RT than someone who is a weak blocker with big-play ability. I think with a better line, and a complimentary back who has blocking skills, Lamar Miller will be just fine as part of a 2 back committee (just no Daniel Thomas!)

The running game needs more work than tight end, but fixing the running game is more about getting better offensive linemen than finding a #1 RB, which is a position that barely even exists anymore. So while I think we need a new running back -- preferably an early down hammer to match Miller's speed -- I think we also need a legitimate #1 tight end and as a result the need for each position ends up about equal, if not in the TE's favor (since running backs are traditionally easier to find). If the question was about a #1 tight end versus a new offensive line it would have been a no brainer.

The way the rules work in the modern NFL there's no position that offers a more dominant matchup advantage than having a tight end in Jimmy Graham, Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez or Julius Thomas mold. No defense has someone physically able to matchup against those players because colleges haven't yet started putting those kinds of athletes on defense. Eventually they will, but until then every team that has one of those players will reap the rewards.

I think a commitment to the running game and a stud RB are better indicators for a successful ground game than a great offensive line. I'm not saying that O-line is unimportant in the equation. I just don't think it's as important. When you look at the top rushing teams in the NFL, the quality of O-line varies a lot. There are some great ones and some mediocre ones, but of the top 10 rushing teams in the NFL, the worst lead back is Cris Ivory.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

I think a commitment to the running game and a stud RB are better indicators for a successful ground game than a great offensive line. I'm not saying that O-line is unimportant in the equation. I just don't think it's as important. When you look at the top rushing teams in the NFL, the quality of O-line varies a lot. There are some great ones and some mediocre ones, but of the top 10 rushing teams in the NFL, the worst lead back is Cris Ivory.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

I'm not saying a top RB isn't helpful, only that the top resources are better spent elsewhere. Take a look at that list of top rushing teams and how they acquired their "lead" back:

1. San Francisco 49ers (Frank Gore, 3rd round pick)
2. Kansas City Chiefs (Jamaal Charles, 3rd round pick)
3. New England Patriots (Stevan Ridley, 3rd round pick, split time with LeGarrette Blount, acquired in a trade for Jeff Demps, a former 7th rounder)
4. New Orleans Saints (Pierre Thomas, undrafted)
5. Seattle Seahawks (Marshawn Lynch, acquired in a trade for two low round picks)
6. San Diego Chargers (Ryan Matthews, 1st round)
7. Green Bay Packers (Eddie Lacy, 2nd round)
8. Denver Broncos (Knowshon Moreno, 1st round)
9. Cincinnati Bengals (Ellis was a free agent, Gio Bernard a 2nd rounder)
10. Carolina Panthers (DeAngelo Williams, 1st round)

And it's not like the first rounders are the best players on this list.

Not that I particularly like the idea of spending first rounders on offensive linemen, either. But if you look at those top teams it's full of high round offensive linemen. Kansas City, New England, San Francisco, Seattle and Cincy all have multiple first rounders on their offensive lines (I'm not going to look them all up :lol: )

I think Philbin prefers an excuse not to run the ball. When Reggie Bush was yanked from the game so quickly it didn't make a lot of sense because we didn't know Philbin yet. Now it's simple to rationalize once we managed an entire season averaging 21.8 rushes per game.

Since we're going to throw the ball anyway I'd prefer the seam tight end.

If Philbin changes course with Lazor and runs the ball sufficiently I'll be happy but surprised. Philbin has already made the one mistake you can't make several times, rationalizing lack of commitment to the running game with low yards per rush early in the game. Aponte doesn't control all the messaging. Or perhaps she is similarly clueless and doesn't realize it's a dumb thing to say.

Our YPPA Differential will continue to suffer if we don't run the ball, and without good YPPA Differential the team is either a weakling or a fraud.

It will also be the reason Miami gets bounced out of the playoffs if they manage somehow to get in. High flying is good to watch but good rushing and great D win year in and year out more constantly than high flying offenses.

rbs looked ok to me when they weren't getting pummeled in the backfield 3/4 of the time. they often couldn't block very well themselves either though.

Clay balled for us last year given the circumstances. Arguably our best player on O. I have no desire to replace him. Cant really say anything too positive about Miller or our run game in general.

rb is the bigger need, dont have a starting calibre rb on the roster. However I would be willing to spend a first rounder on a TE but not a RB

RBs are not worth a first round pick anymore and in today's NFL you need receiving weapons. I wish it wasn't so but its a passing league now. elite TEs are harder to find. Give me the TE.

I think Philbin prefers an excuse not to run the ball. When Reggie Bush was yanked from the game so quickly it didn't make a lot of sense because we didn't know Philbin yet. Now it's simple to rationalize once we managed an entire season averaging 21.8 rushes per game.

Since we're going to throw the ball anyway I'd prefer the seam tight end.

If Philbin changes course with Lazor and runs the ball sufficiently I'll be happy but surprised. Philbin has already made the one mistake you can't make several times, rationalizing lack of commitment to the running game with low yards per rush early in the game. Aponte doesn't control all the messaging. Or perhaps she is similarly clueless and doesn't realize it's a dumb thing to say.

Our YPPA Differential will continue to suffer if we don't run the ball, and without good YPPA Differential the team is either a weakling or a fraud.

Hmmmm.........I thought we abandoned the running game so quickly due to our inability to run block and gain any yards.

RB is our biggest need of the two. We need a bruiser of a back......tough, with a nasty attitude.

TE all day. Helps with the edge rusher and opens up everything else around him, allowing for a big target. Fix the o line, get a TE, and everything else becomes abit easier. TE TE TE TE.

RB right now. While I'm a huge Miller fan, he's not that #1 guy most of us covet. I don't think the staff is ready to give up on Sims after one year but they should bring in some competition at TE.

Btw, noone is saying we should replace Clay. I just think we need a top TE to go along with what Clay can do. If I had only one choice I'd probably pick a RB as a bigger need at this point but like someone else said, I'd draft a TE at 19 but not a RB.

Ozzy rules!!

Would love to draft Ka'deem Carey in the second round

Back
Top Bottom