What's a bigger need, RB or seam TE? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's a bigger need, RB or seam TE?

RBs are not worth a first round pick anymore and in today's NFL you need receiving weapons. I wish it wasn't so but its a passing league now. elite TEs are harder to find. Give me the TE.

Actually seems like both are not worth first round picks when you look at recent history. The four pro-bowl tight ends this year, only Vernon Davis was a first rounder. Everyone else was a fourth and one third. Then you have Jason Witten who was a replacement this year, he was a 3rd rounder and Gronkowski was a second.

I've been dying for a great TE for years now and thought we might have gotten one in Keller then he blows out his knee. I would love to draft Ebron. He would be a total beast in our offense and really put pressure on defenses. This is a passing league now. I do get the importance of a running game but when you look at Ebron's value I think he outweighs a RB. The Ebron's of the world are maybe coming along one a season or every other season.

I've been dying for a great TE for years now and thought we might have gotten one in Keller then he blows out his knee. I would love to draft Ebron. He would be a total beast in our offense and really put pressure on defenses. This is a passing league now. I do get the importance of a running game but when you look at Ebron's value I think he outweighs a RB. The Ebron's of the world are maybe coming along one a season or every other season.

To completely contradict myself in the post I just put above yours, yes, Ebron is a first round talent. He has the Vernon Davis quality, one of the rare guys you can spend a first rounder on. Just like Adrian Peterson years ago for running backs, guys you know that are going to be absolute studs at their position.

I'm not saying a top RB isn't helpful, only that the top resources are better spent elsewhere. Take a look at that list of top rushing teams and how they acquired their "lead" back:

1. San Francisco 49ers (Frank Gore, 3rd round pick)
2. Kansas City Chiefs (Jamaal Charles, 3rd round pick)
3. New England Patriots (Stevan Ridley, 3rd round pick, split time with LeGarrette Blount, acquired in a trade for Jeff Demps, a former 7th rounder)
4. New Orleans Saints (Pierre Thomas, undrafted)
5. Seattle Seahawks (Marshawn Lynch, acquired in a trade for two low round picks)
6. San Diego Chargers (Ryan Matthews, 1st round)
7. Green Bay Packers (Eddie Lacy, 2nd round)
8. Denver Broncos (Knowshon Moreno, 1st round)
9. Cincinnati Bengals (Ellis was a free agent, Gio Bernard a 2nd rounder)
10. Carolina Panthers (DeAngelo Williams, 1st round)

And it's not like the first rounders are the best players on this list.

Not that I particularly like the idea of spending first rounders on offensive linemen, either. But if you look at those top teams it's full of high round offensive linemen. Kansas City, New England, San Francisco, Seattle and Cincy all have multiple first rounders on their offensive lines (I'm not going to look them all up :lol: )

That's the playoff list, but the regular season is pretty similar in terms of draft picks. I was advocating drafting Zac Stacy in the 3rd last year, so I agree that you can often get quality backs outside of the 1st (especially because of the way the league as devalued the running game - though, as Awsi pointed out, I think that's changing). I don't really care where how we get a stud RB; I care that we get one. Even after the Seahawks landed Lynch, they drafted Turbin (we could have instead of Miller) and Michaels (2nd Rd). In this off season, I see one guy that's significantly better than the rest (Jeremy Hill). If we do go O-line in the 1st, my next preference would probably be Seastrunk. Health and durability are concerns, but his running style is similar(ish) to McCoy's, and with Lazor, I can see that making sense. I know most people still have Hill falling out of the 1st, but by draft day, I'd be surprised if that were the case.

This is a great argument, because we definitely need both! We need a power back to complement Miller..one that gets 60% of the carries to Miller's 40. I would say Tight End, and this is why.
Tannehill has no one he can throw the ball to and get 50/50 balls. We don't have the WRs to do it..Wallace? Hartline? Hell no. Gibson? Our best one, but still not great at it. We need a big tight end with good hands that can go up and get the ball. This attribute would be especially helpful in both the end zone, and when Tammehill is under duress!(pretty much every other time he drops back!)

I know this will sound ridiculous to some people but...

We still don't know what we have with Egnew.

In college he was a PASS CATCHING TE.

Sherman was completely fixated on his blocking They played him at FB last year sometimes, they almost never threw him the ball and never as a seam TE.

The best TE's now are pure pass catching TE's, that guy over in New Orleans runs routes he is not used for blocking.

clay balled for us last year given the circumstances. Arguably our best player on o. I have no desire to replace him. Cant really say anything too positive about miller or our run game in general.

this.

The problem is.... we may already have a seam threat tight end on the roster we don't know it because our OC SUCKED!!! I could NEVER for the life of me understand why Sherman would insist on making Egnew a blocking TE when he clearly was brought in here to be a receiving threat. I'm not saying Egnew is the answer... what i'm saying is I would have liked the opportunity to see whether or not he was the answer. If he was asked to run seam routes and constantly couldn't get open or dropped passes then we'd have our answer. But because he was asked to block, and also be a FREAKING LEAD BLOCKER... I have no clue if Egnew can be a seam threat TE. Make me wonder exactly how we would have ended up using Keller had he stayed healthy. Would we have used him as a lead blocking FB too?

I think RB is a bigger need. Clay had a great year, and our RBs were terrible.

Definetly RB, I would prefer them to go through FA instead of the draft though because the RB that have right now are already so young. Guys are there in FA like Tate, Blount and Gerhart. I would bet Blount re-signs in NE and Tate goes to the browns. Gerhart is a guy who showed he can play last year and little chance of re-signing in Minnisota with Peterson still there.

With Clay emerging i dont think TE is all that important. Egnew can make play he just needs to be consistent. Sims inst flashy but he can get the job done if needed. I would draft a TE high but if there is definite value there by all means it cant hurt.

What exactly does Clay have to do to get respect? He was 9th in yards and in TD's for tight ends, pretty good considering they never accounted for him being a weapon at the start of the season.

So I say RB.

Back
Top Bottom