When Some Of Us Post "negative/critical" Things | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When Some Of Us Post "negative/critical" Things

BahamaFinFan78

Active Roster
Reaction score
I want the fans who have an issue with other fans that post or comment negative or critical things about the team to understand a few things:
1. We really are Miami Dolphins fans. Just because we are speaking honestly doesn't mean we secretly want the team to fail. We are just posting what we believe the truth is about the team with no sugar coating. We don't enjoy being negative, but we are jaded by the team that has hurt us so many times in the past. When we do this, we would LOVE nothing more than to be totally and completely wrong. But we are actually fans
2. We've seen this act before. Season after season we have had our hopes and dreams lifted high by the reporters and beat writers, even other fans, singing the praises of "this team" and "this season" and "these players" only to have them completely dash our hopes. We used to never look at the team objectively but lived in the eternal hope world. Now we notice that sometimes the national media isn't out to get us. Now we realize that sometimes what they say may actually be true and not just a conspiracy. Just because they put on our jersey does not somehow make those players Pro Bowlers.
3. We want the best for the team. The reason why some people may be down on our coaching staff, front office, players, etc... is not to hate on them, but because we believe they are not the ones to make this team successful. For example, pretend with me that Gase ends up being Cam Cameron 2.0 when it's all said and done. The fans that believe that is going to happen are calling for his removal now so that the team can start building correctly (in their minds). Some say that you need consistency and you need to keep a head coach on for years. That is true, but only if they are a good head coach. If they suck, you want them removed immediately so you can start over. That's all that we want. What's best for the team. Now what one fan thinks is best may be different from another but understand that both want the same thing.
4. Let us stop the personal attacks because we disagree on the direction of the team. Don't bash me for thinking Ryan Tannehill is just an average QB and I won't attack you for thinking he's the Messiah reincarnated. We can discuss easily things like "Ryan fails when the pressure is on" and "He has his best stats under Gase" without saying anything negative or derogatory about each other. We disagree on how good our QB will be. Fine, nothing wrong with that. It's called tolerance and respect.

Good post.
Different faces every year, similar results.
Hard not to be negative these days. However, it's a new year so I am trying to remain positive as much as possible.

well said, I think there are 5 levels of the fandom, complete homerism (we **** rainbows), optimist (this is our season, hopefully tannehill shows some of his potential), happy for season fan (they are more realist with both positive and negative opinions, but neither are drastic), pessimistic (the legitimate ones that aren't happy, which are past hasn't given much reason to show for it), and then the randy quaid from Major League crowd (we suck, everything we does suck). the 1st and 5th are the ones that are like "him again", I range from 1-3 depending on my BAC

I don't think anyone on the site really minds anyone else having a negative opinion, its just when that's ALL your post are and EVERY post. We get it, Jordan Phillips is lazy, okay every time his name pops up you dont have to type it. I think the only crowd that is ever really frowned upon and gets old in this forum is the crowd that had to turn every post into a "we hate (insert name here) post" If a lot of people found a way to praise Gase every post and turn every post into a "we made the playoffs with him" even if the OP's original topic was the Dolphins our hosting a London game in 2031, then it would get old.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the negative/critical comments. My issue is with the habit some people have of hijacking nearly every thread with their negativity when it has absolutely nothing to do with the thread. We get it, you don't like X or Y but the thread is about Z. If people could stay on topic in each thread this place would be a lot more enjoyable and we would probably see a bigger variety of opinions.

I won't attack you for thinking he's the Messiah reincarnated.

Way to completely shoot down your entire post....... You couldn't even get through the plea for civility without including something extreme. THIS IS WHY THE DEBATES GO OFF THE RAILS! It's not the critical comments that annoy it is the stupid ones.

Time for a little introspection.

Contrary thoughts can make for good discussion, but negativity can be soul sucking. Especially negativity that derails threads that weren't really about what the negative comment is talking about.

This is not unlike reading comments about a news story and reading that first comment that makes it political...I just sigh and move on.

I might be in the minority here thinking that Ryan Tannehill is a good QB while at the same time I believe that Adam Gase is not a good head coach. I'd like to be proven wrong on the latter please.

I'm with you concerning Tannehill. I think he's pretty good right now, but he could be a lot better leading an offense with a dominating o-line and running game, with more play action, bootleg, and downfield passing. But, that goes against Gase's dink-and-dunk, the short pass takes the place of the run style of offense. I believe that Tannehill has been hindered by both Philbin's and Gase's offensive philosophy. IMO, Ross has not made a good personnel decision yet.

For some inane reason, many fans seem to love Gase and what he's doing... but I won't bash them for their wrong opinion. :D

Good post.
Different faces every year, similar results.
Hard not to be negative these days.

During the Marino Era (well, except for the end of it!) Miami was ALWAYS a playoff contender. Down by 20 in the 4th? No problem; they're still in it. (I remember Miami scoring 3 touchdowns in under 2 minutes once.) I expected them to win every game and do well in the playoffs. Did they? Not every year (damn those Bills!), but I always stayed positive. Nowadays, I'm always negative because IMO a clueless owner keeps making terrible personnel decisions (Front Office and Head Coaches) resulting in not enough above-average talent with inexperienced coaches running ineffective offensive and defensive schemes.

I want to be positive again! Maybe the next regime will be more competent.

I might be in the minority here thinking that Ryan Tannehill is a good QB while at the same time I believe that Adam Gase is not a good head coach. I'd like to be proven wrong on the latter please.
I’m thinking Gase is full of crap these days.

During the Marino Era (well, except for the end of it!) Miami was ALWAYS a playoff contender.

I'm as big a Marino fan as anyone but this is simply not true. The Dolphins wasted much of the prime years of Marino's career with records of 8-8, 8-7, 6-10, and 8-8 from 1986 - 1989. A four year span with a sub-.500 record with the greatest QB to have ever played in his prime.

In the final 10 years of Shula's career, the Dolphins only made the playoffs 4 times. In the Shula/Marino era, the Dolphins made the playoff just once with a defense in the bottom half of the league in points allowed and they were ranked 17th that year. They missed the playoffs 5 times with a defensive ranking (by points allowed) in the 20 - 26 range.

Because of Marino, they were always fun to watch, but his career PROVES it is a team game.

I’m all for give and take between positive and negative just as long as there’s actual give and take. The problem is that some fans only post negative things. They never give credit and come up with excuses for why something good happened. Weak opponent, lucky catch, outliers, etc... those are the negative fans I have a problem with. I get negative, especially with the defense as I’m not a fan of our scheme and giving up easy scores. However when they play well I give them the credit they’re due and not a backhanded compliment like the op tried with the messiah comment. If that’s the give and take if the forum, most (I’m guessing) would be fine and the TOS infractions would shrink dramatically. Unfortunately it’s not and as long as there’s those perpetual Debbie downers, fans of the team will show up to debate them and sometimes it gets ugly.

I want the fans who have an issue with other fans that post or comment negative or critical things about the team to understand a few things:
1. We really are Miami Dolphins fans. Just because we are speaking honestly doesn't mean we secretly want the team to fail. We are just posting what we believe the truth is about the team with no sugar coating. We don't enjoy being negative, but we are jaded by the team that has hurt us so many times in the past. When we do this, we would LOVE nothing more than to be totally and completely wrong. But we are actually fans
2. We've seen this act before. Season after season we have had our hopes and dreams lifted high by the reporters and beat writers, even other fans, singing the praises of "this team" and "this season" and "these players" only to have them completely dash our hopes. We used to never look at the team objectively but lived in the eternal hope world. Now we notice that sometimes the national media isn't out to get us. Now we realize that sometimes what they say may actually be true and not just a conspiracy. Just because they put on our jersey does not somehow make those players Pro Bowlers.
3. We want the best for the team. The reason why some people may be down on our coaching staff, front office, players, etc... is not to hate on them, but because we believe they are not the ones to make this team successful. For example, pretend with me that Gase ends up being Cam Cameron 2.0 when it's all said and done. The fans that believe that is going to happen are calling for his removal now so that the team can start building correctly (in their minds). Some say that you need consistency and you need to keep a head coach on for years. That is true, but only if they are a good head coach. If they suck, you want them removed immediately so you can start over. That's all that we want. What's best for the team. Now what one fan thinks is best may be different from another but understand that both want the same thing.
4. Let us stop the personal attacks because we disagree on the direction of the team. Don't bash me for thinking Ryan Tannehill is just an average QB and I won't attack you for thinking he's the Messiah reincarnated. We can discuss easily things like "Ryan fails when the pressure is on" and "He has his best stats under Gase" without saying anything negative or derogatory about each other. We disagree on how good our QB will be. Fine, nothing wrong with that. It's called tolerance and respect.

The premise of the post is very good, but honestly it could've done without the underhanded digs to further express your agenda. "Let's quit being negative" (while throwing negative pot shots in to be sure everyone knows what you don't like)

Swing and a miss.

Back
Top Bottom