When Some Of Us Post "negative/critical" Things | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When Some Of Us Post "negative/critical" Things

its a sad day when an admin is probably going to have to come into a post discussing "why some posters are negative and its okay", and start having to yell at us to stay on topic cause its going to turn into a RT17 sucks/ RT is mesiah thread , which is honestly to me both humorous and sad at the same time

Can anyone actually prove that Steel wasn't an immaculate conception?

Some of us are what we like to think of as realists. But nope, we're negative, we're haters.

You're correct in that's the crux of the matter.

As the saying goes: "perception becomes reality." The negative opinion holders have no more traction to claiming they're objective "realists" than do the reasonably optimistic positive posters who at times perceive the proverbial glass as being half full while wondering why their counterparts see it as 3/4 empty.

I think you're missing his point.

The OP presented two options:

1) Group A thinks he's an average QB

2) Group B thinks he's the Messiah reincarnated.

In doing so, he presented his group of persons as completely reasonable and those who disagreed as insane zealots. Even if that wasn't his intent, it's easily and reasonably interpreted that way.

FinFanInBuffalo was pointing out that that specific inclusion was very self-defeating to his point of not attacking those with differing opinions.

And he's right.
I personally feel like you guys are reading too much into that phrase that he used. I didn't read it that way for a second.

I think you're missing his point.

The OP presented two options:

1) Group A thinks he's an average QB

2) Group B thinks he's the Messiah reincarnated.

In doing so, he presented his group of persons as completely reasonable and those who disagreed as insane zealots. Even if that wasn't his intent, it's easily and reasonably interpreted that way.

FinFanInBuffalo was pointing out that that specific inclusion was very self-defeating to his point of not attacking those with differing opinions.

And he's right.

Pretty sad that this needed to be explained. A more moderate opening post would have been:

1) Person A says he thinks Tannehill is an average QB (which I would assume ranks around 16th)

2) Group B thinks he is a good QB (in my case, ranked around 10th)

If that were REALLY the debate, the discussions would have died off three years ago. \

No, the truth is that many in Group A feel Tannehill is a bottom of the league QB and won't say it. Since they need to argue against positive posts about Tannehill, they have to change the debate from "average vs good" to "average vs the messiah". I cannot count the number of times a poster has brought up the "Tannehill is not elite" strawman argument.

Hm, I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with this. I don't see anywhere in the post where he attacked the poster except for maybe asking the poster to reflect on himself. I understand the comment about self reflection because the OP made a condescending comment about Tannehill supporters. Notice the contrast between "Don't bash me for thinking Ryan Tannehill is just an average QB and I won't attack you for thinking he's the Messiah reincarnated." How is there any sort of equivalence between the two descriptions, average qb vs Messiah Incarnate? It's posts like that that are abrasive and unnecessary, don't defend it if you actually want civil discussion. Civil discussion involves facts, points, and counter-points not insulting exaggerations. It's comments like that that derail threads. Especially when no one is saying anything close to what's being implied. It appears that if you try to say that RT is an above average QB then you get accused of worshiping the ground he walks on(see the OP's comment), do you see the double standard? It's not some imagined phenomena, I noticed it, FFIB noticed it and so did Sarnics13. So ask yourself, if you truly want a healthy discussion, are comments like that solving anything? If not, then they are part of the problem and their criticism is deserved.
You're right, he didn't attack the poster, and I was wrong to say that, bad phrasing.
I read the comments differently to yourself and the other guys to be honest. I guess that's going to happen from time to time. It all seemed an above board comment to me. I feel the OPs premise is right, and I'll stand by that. I didn't find his comment abrasive, I guess you and some others did. Doesn't necessarily make me right, doesn't necessarily make you right. I guess only the OP knows what way he meant it, I just took it as a turn of phrase. I don't know the OPs thoughts on Tannehill, I thought personally that maybe he called him average where he wanted to call him poor .. but didn't want to say poor in case people who liked Tannehill jumped on that.

Anyway, on the subject as I said above, I think it's a great thread with some very valid points.

As the saying goes: "perception becomes reality." The negative opinion holders have no more traction to claiming they're objective "realists" than do the reasonably optimistic positive posters who at times perceive the proverbial glass as being half full while wondering why their counterparts see it as 3/4 empty.
Very true.

I guess I see myself as a realist, but maybe I am just a miserable negative sod. I think 7-9 / 8-8 predictions are realistic though.

I used be more like @Ray R .. but the years have taken their toll.

kind of like how I mentioned realist are between homer, optimist, pessimist, and miserable. realist are fans, glad to have foodball, find both positives and negatives but not overly push the agenda on either. kind of like the glass half full/half empty comment. they are just happy they have some water in front of them. sure there may not be any ice so its at room temp, but at least it isn't filled too full so they don't have to worry about it spilling when they pick up the cup. that's a realist, that's my cup of water in front of me..... or that's my team, meh we have flaws, meh we have positives, just happy its in front of me again. of course im more on the opt/homer

kind of like how I mentioned realist are between homer, optimist, pessimist, and miserable. realist are fans, glad to have foodball, find both positives and negatives but not overly push the agenda on either. kind of like the glass half full/half empty comment. they are just happy they have some water in front of them. sure there may not be any ice so its at room temp, but at least it isn't filled too full so they don't have to worry about it spilling when they pick up the cup. that's a realist, that's my cup of water in front of me..... or that's my team, meh we have flaws, meh we have positives, just happy its in front of me again. of course im more on the opt/homer
Heh, I like this description! This is the way I think of myself. Super excited that football's back ... and see a team full of potential, but probably a year (and a few starters) away from challenging. Hence going 7-9 / 8-8. There's always the hope in me that some can step up (ie X, Minkah, RT17 now that he's back) .. but there's the worry that people like Phillips, Parker just won't quite move to the next level.

Realist .. or negative nelly?

Very true.

I guess I see myself as a realist, but maybe I am just a miserable negative sod. I think 7-9 / 8-8 predictions are realistic though.

I honestly cannot think of a single time that a poster was criticized for predicting a 7-9 or 8-8 record. The debates come over the question of "Why?".

I'm sure you know that there is a very vocal #QBWinz crowd around here and a very vocal #TeamWinz crowd around here. That is the majority of the disagreement. Although for some, 2016 became the year of *QBWinz.

Very true.

Give me some time to shape up (or down); I've only been here a little over 2 years.

I might be in the minority here thinking that Ryan Tannehill is a good QB while at the same time I believe that Adam Gase is not a good head coach. I'd like to be proven wrong on the latter please.

You just said two things that will get heated arguments going ;):happy:p

I honestly cannot think of a single time that a poster was criticized for predicting a 7-9 or 8-8 record. The debates come over the question of "Why?".

I'm sure you know that there is a very vocal #QBWinz crowd around here and a very vocal #TeamWinz crowd around here. That is the majority of the disagreement. Although for some, 2016 became the year of *QBWinz.
Firstly - apology for above, as was pointed out, you didn't attack the poster. I used a bad phrase in there and was wrong.

Oh yeah, I know of this alright.

I don't think it's just limited to those kind of threads, or those about Tannehill though. I've seen it discussing other players, or hopes for the team etc. It's a regular thing that people can't understand how someone else can have a different opinion to them, and the responses turn belittling "Oh, how can you think that, you must be stupid" etc. things like that.

Bear in mind, it's not limited to here. I'm on a forum for another team in another sport .. and the same stuff happens there.

I've responded to a number of your posts before - and a lot about Tannehill as you're very active with your posts about him. And while I don't agree with a lot of them, I think you generally make great points, and back them up extremely well. Thus I enjoy reading them. I think sometimes people (and God knows I have no doubt been guilty of this myself at times!) struggle to get their head around the fact that what they believe themselves isn't necessarily right, and they get incredulous when someone else begs to differ.

I'm not much of a Ryan Tannehill guy, but I don't see the point in trashing him in thread after thread. I said my piece on him years ago and left it at that. It is what it is.

Folks, football season comes and goes in a flash. You wait so long for it to get here - then it's over before you know it. Everyone deserves to be able to enjoy it while it's here in whatever way that lets them enjoy it.

I'm not even really much of an NFL guy at all. College football is what gets my blood pumping. Nobody here is making any decisions on the players one way or the other. Just be nice to each other and respectful of the other's point of view. You don't know how much it may mean to somebody until it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom