Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL?

Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL

Votes: 70 39.8%
  • Top 5

Votes: 94 53.4%
  • Top 10

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Top 20

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lower than Top 20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

finsgonewild

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I have heard some people say that Dan Marino is the best quarterback to ever play the game. I have heard others say that he is one of the best quarterbacks to play but not the greatest quarterback ever. I have even seen some articles that do not rate Dan Marino as a top 10 quarterback, which I think is ridiculous. Where do you rate Dan Marino amongst all the quarterbacks that have played in the NFL?

Best "quarterback" is always going to be a subjective argument. Superbowl rings, post season accomplishments, longevity, surrounding talent, etc. are always going to be variables.

Dan Marino was the best pure PASSER of all time, and you won't find many that will dispute that... not even former NFL quarterbacks who rank right up there in his neighborhood statistically. That also includes Hall of Fame caliber defenders that had to face him in his prime...

There's just not many quarterbacks that have ever played this game that could've accomplished what Marino was able to accomplish for as long as he did, with the teams he played on. Particularly in an era where the rules didn't allow for receivers to just run free all over the place, and brutalize quarterbacks the way they could 20 years ago. You can probably count 'em on one finger...

Dan Fouts and Warren Moon are the only two guys I've ever seen that could even be kept in Marino's company when it comes to the pure ability to pass the football...

1 if you mean raw physical talent as a passer. but top 5-10 if you mean considering ALL variables. Marino had a ton of interceptions too and never won a ring. i have several autographs hanging up right now, but im just being honest and to not be a homer i'd say top 5.

He is the best QB I have ever seen in my lifetime...flat out!!!

1 if you mean raw physical talent as a passer. but top 5-10 if you mean considering ALL variables. Marino had a ton of interceptions too and never won a ring. i have several autographs hanging up right now, but im just being honest and to not be a homer i'd say top 5.

Marino had the highest TD/INT difference of all time until Peyton manning broke it.

If he was not burdened with the most inept DC in NFL history and he had a FO that would have been able top draft better, he would have won multiple SBs. Shula never put an emphasis on the running game with Dan, to his determent. I hate having this discussion every year because I hate making excuses, but it is the truth. If Dan had won even one SB, there would not even be a discussion of the topic.

Simple - if you're a Dolfan, he's #1.

If you're objective, he's tied for #1.

When you get to the top 5 QB's, you're really splitting hairs.

All of them were great and an argument can be made that any of them was the greatest of all time.

Quit being Marino homers. He was great but he wasn't perfect like some of you and your revisionist histories want to believe.

When you get to the top 5 QB's, you're really splitting hairs.

All of them were great and an argument can be made that any of them was the greatest of all time.

Quit being Marino homers. He was great but he wasn't perfect like some of you and your revisionist histories want to believe.

Blasphemy. Thou shall burn at the stake.

People who did not watch Dan play week in and week out simply do not understand how great he was.

He was the greatest QB of all time. He was on some of the worst teams in the league at the time and made EVERY game winnable. He was so great it was ridiculous. In or around 88/89 with Brian (took years off my life) Sochia as our nose tackle - I mean your killing me Shula - and a secondary as vapid as a black hole - and Marino had us in EVERY game.

People who doubt Marino just do not understand. Manning is very good and he is not in Marino's galaxy. Sorry to break your hearts but Marino was that good. A freak of nature really.

Back
Top Bottom