Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL?

Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL

Votes: 70 39.8%
  • Top 5

Votes: 94 53.4%
  • Top 10

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Top 20

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lower than Top 20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
People who did not watch Dan play week in and week out simply do not understand how great he was.

He was the greatest QB of all time. He was on some of the worst teams in the league at the time and made EVERY game winnable. He was so great it was ridiculous. In or around 88/89 with Brian (took years off my life) Sochia as our nose tackle - I mean your killing me Shula - and a secondary as vapid as a black hole - and Marino had us in EVERY game.

People who doubt Marino just do not understand. Manning is very good and he is not in Marino's galaxy. Sorry to break your hearts but Marino was that good. A freak of nature really.

lol at the Brian Socia reference.. haha that guy got routinely blown 5 yards off the ball.

Their front 7 was arguably the worst in NFL history... TJ Turner, John Grimsley, Hugh Green, Jeff cross, Jackie Shipp

Pure passer - Marino
Edge of the seat qb - Favre
Clinical - Manning & Montana

I have only seen qb's since 1989, so its limited with who i saw

Top five definitely. Probably more like top three, but I still consider Unitas the best ever. You definitely have to consider Montana as well.

Top 5 , but it would be great to see him play against what we have now............

I'd have to say #5. Having watched football since the mid 70's my top QBs are: #1 Montana (simply the best IMO), #2 Otto Graham (more championships than anyone), #3 Unitas (brought the passing game to a new level), #4 (I hate to say it) Brady, then Marino. Manning had the advantage of the enhanced passing league, so top 10, but not top 5.

I think you can be objective and put him in the top five easily. after that you gotta decide on which factors you value if you want to place him at number one.

I would want Tom Brady or Joe Montana if I needed to win one game..

If I was starting a franchise, my qb would either be Petyon Manning or Dan Marino

Brady plays in a system in New England, you saw that when Cassell came in and won 11 games. Marino was a system in Miami, just like Manning is in Indy.

I think you do have to punish him for not winning that ring, whether it was his fault or not, but he is definitely top 5. Best passer I have ever seen.

I have a top 5 of Montana, Unitas, Graham, Marino and Brady. You can shuffle them any way you like 1-4(I have Brady at 5 and climbing).

Brady plays in a system in New England, you saw that when Cassell came in and won 11 games. Marino was a system in Miami, just like Manning is in Indy.

I think you do have to punish him for not winning that ring, whether it was his fault or not, but he is definitely top 5. Best passer I have ever seen.

Brady is the system in NE, he's the reason they have 3 SB titles, he's the reason BB is still a HC and considered an all time great HC now. Cassell won 10 games as a starter w/ Brady out but they won 16 the year before w/ Brady against a MUCH more difficult sched. A 5-6 game difference is a HUGE difference.

What other quaterback could have taken the game on his back and beat the Bears in 1985, which I consider the greatest defense of all time? Manning? Maybe. Not Brady, not Montana. Not even Unitas. He willed his team to victory. The only other game I've ever seen to match it was Manning's come from behind victory against Tampa Bay (?) with four touchdowns in the last four minutes of a game.

Marino was one of the greatest QB's of all time, certainly one of the greatest I've seen. Top 5. Beyond that, it's almost impossible to differentiate those guys and ends up being personal (fan) preferences. I tend to not like the term greatest "passer", since there is a bit of a back-handed complement attached (i.e. but not a great QB). He carried bad/mediocre teams, he helped win games Miami never should have won and kept Miami in games they never should of had a chance in. He dominated his era, and this was back when the rules were not nearly as slanted towards the passing game. His pocket mobility/presence is probably unmatched (I have not seen any QB do what he did in the pocket, in terms of sliding and stepping to avoid the rush) and his release is also practically unmatched as well.

He is #1 all time in 4th quarter comebacks. I know some aren't crazy about this stat, but for me it shows LEADERSHIP - which is a lot of what being a great QB is about. Put the ball in his hands with the game on the line in the 4th quarter. That opportunity never presented itself much in the playoffs, due to the team not really ever being great.

I dredge up these stats occasionally, just to contrast the effect of TEAM on QB effectiveness. In Marino's 10 playoff losses, Miami gave up an average of ~210 yards rushing and ~34 points a game. 7 of those 10 games they gave up >200yards and >30points. Montana had 2 playoffs games where his team gave up >200yards rushing and >30points (both crushing losses). You basically can't win games against good teams giving up 200yds rushing and 30+points.

Montana's team gave up 16 points or less in 50% of his playoff games. ~33% of the time, they gave up 10 points or less. For Marino, it's ~19% (16 points or less) and ~10% (10 points or less). Those differences are pretty staggering, IMO.

I think he was easily the best. One of the few QB's that are considered to be great from that era who aren't overrated solely due to the number of super bowl rings they have.

Dan the man,no doubt in my mind the number 1 QB of all time. All people want to talk about is winning the Superbowl,but you have to have the talent around you, he cant do anything about that,but he did more with the teams talent than any other QB that ever played could have. Some of those teams had awful defense, and without the gunslinging of Dan, we lose all of them ! What I look at is, put Dan in a 49er uniform (God forbid),but for the sake of my argument, then how many rings dose he have on his fingers with all that talent ?

Back
Top Bottom