Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL?

Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL

Votes: 70 39.8%
  • Top 5

Votes: 94 53.4%
  • Top 10

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Top 20

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lower than Top 20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The problem with looking at a quarterbacks wins when rating him best ever, is that it is such a team sport and it takes all of that team to win, and one player no matter how good they are cannot do it all by themselves.

With that being said, Marino sure did come close. It amazing how many wins the team had with mostly no defense and no running game.

I think Shula tried to get a running back in here, it just never panned out. Bobby Humphry, Sammie Smith, Lorenzo Hampton, and Terry Kirby to name a few. Shula's blind allegance to Ollividatti is what killed us. Ollididatti ends up being a LB coach for the Vikes if my memory serves me correctly.

I think Marino was the best passer ever and Montana is the best QB IMO. Best QB consideration can be very subjective.

Best QB and best passer pretty much go hand in hand but not entirely. Put Marino in Montana's place. Can you imagine how many rings he could have won? As good as the 9er's running game was and with Marino's dead on accuracy and arm strength, how could a defense even begin to try to defend that?

And on top of that, they had a great defense. Think of all the games where Marino put up 30 and it was not enough. They lost to the Jets 45-51 one game. How do you lose a football game when you score 45 points???? In 1987, they scored 31 points two games in a row and lost both!

The problem with looking at a quarterbacks wins when rating him best ever, is that it is such a team sport and it takes all of that team to win, and one player no matter how good they are cannot do it all by themselves.

With that being said, Marino sure did come close. It amazing how many wins the team had with mostly no defense and no running game.

One player at the most important position on the field can make all the difference. W/ that said he elevated mediocre Miami teams to postseasons nearly every year. If he had comparable talent to some of the other top QBs he would have won. Marino-Montana is not like Manning-Brady in that there was a significant talent gap btw the Niners and Dolphins while you could argue Indy had more talent around manning than NE did around Brady.

Joe left before the 94 season. He also didn't play in the 92 season. Young won a playoff game in 93 (the year Montana was traded)

Joe's last season was 1994, he retired after the '94 season.

Young took over in 1991, handed the keys to a dynasty. They missed the playoffs in '91 then lost a home game in the title game. Young wouldn't even have a title if not for Jimmy Johnson and jerry Jones parting ways after the '93 season. Young won some playoff games but he had championship talent and only made 1 SB in his career as a starter.

If you judge a QB, by his skill set alone, Marino is #1. Now if you judge them by # of super bowls won, then you have to go with Montana or Bradshaw, but Bradshaw shouldn't be in the same sentence when mentioning Marino.

Top 5. No debate. He's better than Manning, he's better than Favre, and they both have Super Bowl rings.

Marino's up there with the best. No QB who has won so little - in terms of when it counts - has received so much praise, not even close. It's well deserved, and some people grossly underrate him.

If you had a draft of greatest QB's of all time, and every GM knew exactly what each QB would be, I think there's a strong chance Marino would be the first pick.

If your talkiing top passers, then Marino may be #1, with only Manning giving him any kind of challenge, but lately Manning has started to decline a bit. As for QB, Marino is top 5 with only Mantana, Unites, and maybe Manning (depending how he ends his career) in my opinion can ever be argued as better (Not to say they were/is or weren't/isn't, but there can be an argument).

Marino was the only QB I ever saw, that the Defense knew he was going to be passing most of the game, and still they could not stop him. He was on way more occations then he should have been able to, threw into triple coverege, with a microscopic window, with no room for error, Pass-rush breathing heavy on him, and he made it look a bit too easy.

It's an understatement, but Marino was special.

One player at the most important position on the field can make all the difference. W/ that said he elevated mediocre Miami teams to postseasons nearly every year. If he had comparable talent to some of the other top QBs he would have won. Marino-Montana is not like Manning-Brady in that there was a significant talent gap btw the Niners and Dolphins while you could argue Indy had more talent around manning than NE did around Brady.

Actually Brady was on a team with a better defense (Which showed with how close the game they won were), Manning actually elevated his offense, but I agree he did have more talented players. Marino did not have a defense or a running game, so he was the Offense (Score as many points through the air), and the Defense (Score more points then the Opponant and take as much time as possible if your able to).

Joe's last season was 1994, he retired after the '94 season.

Young took over in 1991, handed the keys to a dynasty. They missed the playoffs in '91 then lost a home game in the title game. Young wouldn't even have a title if not for Jimmy Johnson and jerry Jones parting ways after the '93 season. Young won some playoff games but he had championship talent and only made 1 SB in his career as a starter.

In the same regard, you can say if it wasn't for the defense and a great pressure kicker, Brady would also not have a SB right now.

Actually Brady was on a team with a better defense (Which showed with how close the game they won were), Manning actually elevated his offense, but I agree he did have more talented players. Marino did not have a defense or a running game, so he was the Offense (Score as many points through the air), and the Defense (Score more points then the Opponant and take as much time as possible if your able to).

In the same regard, you can say if it wasn't for the defense and a great pressure kicker, Brady would also not have a SB right now.

In postseason play the "great" NE D's have given up more than the crappy Indy D's. Brady has repeatedly rescued his defense from blowing postseason games, Manning has neve done that and Manning has had elite weapons around him on offense while most of Brady's career(outsode of '07 & '09) he has had average offensive talent around him.

A QB cannot do it on his own but the best elevate their play in the biggest spots, NE wouldn't have a single SB title right now if not for Brady. They wouldn't even have been a playoff team in 2001 if Bledsoe was the QB.

On Marino, I have him in my top 5 even though he never won a SB b/c I feel he elevated his teams to even being postseason teams. He had average talent around him most of his career. Put him on Indy in the 00s and he has at least 3 SB titles.

Joe Montana said Dan was the best ever. That's good enough for me. Peyton Manning will probably be considered the best ever after he retires, but every era is different. DBacks could mug receivers back when Dan played so Dan played under much tougher rules than QB's play under these days.

I disagree on Manning. He's not even the best in his era, Tom Brady is. It will be very tough for Manning to pass Brady considering neither the Pats nor Brady look like they'll be going away anytime soon. Then if you want to overlap Aaron Rodgers, who already has 1 SB, Manning could easily be the 3rd best QB of this era.

He's the best Ive ever seen play.

Anyone who says otherwise, didnt see him play, or really have no understanding of the game. Its as simple as that.

And these things always kill me when people try to rank players all time. Honestly, can you rank a player you never saw? For instance, I noticed Valandui throws Johnny U out there. Im not trying to pick on Valandui, I just happened to read his posts because I usually read his. But, my question would be.......... When the hell did you ever watch Johnny U play? My guess is never since I believe youre younger than I am. So how in the hell are you ranking him in anything? Wtf are you basing this **** on? Hearsay? Stats? Highlights? Get ****ing real.

All a person can really do is rank the ones they have seen play. I started watching football in the early 80s. Dan is still the best I have ever seen. Brady is a close 2nd. Manning is right there as well.

I dont consider championships. Thats a team accomplishment. Granted the QB will have a great deal of influence on the game and a teams ability to win a championship, however Dan never quite had the teammates to do it. He still almost pulled it off.

Whenever Marino had a decent to good defense, his team went deep in the playoffs. That isnt a coincidence. Aikman, Montana, and Bradshaw won multiple titles and every year they won it their D just happened to be ranked no.1 in scoring, yardage, or both. Go figure.

And the running game argument is bs. A running game contributes to the offense. With Dan behind center, the phins had all the offense they needed to win a title. What Dan needed was a god damned defense. A running game wouldve just been offensive overkill and in fact may have gotten in his ****ing way.

Any year the the phins wouldve had a top ranked defense along with Dan Marino at QB, they wouldve had a championship locked down tight like a small girls tuna.

He's the best Ive ever seen play.

Anyone who says otherwise, didnt see him play, or really have no understanding of the game. Its as simple as that.

And these things always kill me when people try to rank players all time. Honestly, can you rank a player you never saw? For instance, I noticed Valandui throws Johnny U out there. Im not trying to pick on Valandui, I just happened to read his posts because I usually read his. But, my question would be.......... When the hell did you ever watch Johnny U play? My guess is never since I believe youre younger than I am. So how in the hell are you ranking him in anything? Wtf are you basing this **** on? Hearsay? Stats? Highlights? Get ****ing real.

All a person can really do is rank the ones they have seen play. I started watching football in the early 80s. Dan is still the best I have ever seen. Brady is a close 2nd. Manning is right there as well.

I dont consider championships. Thats a team accomplishment. Granted the QB will have a great deal of influence on the game and a teams ability to win a championship, however Dan never quite had the teammates to do it. He still almost pulled it off.

Whenever Marino had a decent to good defense, his team went deep in the playoffs. That isnt a coincidence. Aikman, Montana, and Bradshaw won multiple titles and every year they won it their D just happened to be ranked no.1 in scoring, yardage, or both. Go figure.

And the running game argument is bs. A running game contributes to the offense. With Dan behind center, the phins had all the offense they needed to win a title. What Dan needed was a god damned defense. A running game wouldve just been offensive overkill and in fact may have gotten in his ****ing way.

Any year the the phins wouldve had a top ranked defense along with Dan Marino at QB, they wouldve had a championship locked down tight like a small girls tuna.
As far as Unitas, I'd say it's kind of a combination of those things while taking into account the era that he played in. I mean, the dude did what he did in an era that was far more ground game centered and while working full time at a steel mill. I definitely agree on Marino being the best I've ever seen play as well as being probably the most talented to ever play, but I was speaking more in a "grand scheme of things" kind of way.

In postseason play the "great" NE D's have given up more than the crappy Indy D's. Brady has repeatedly rescued his defense from blowing postseason games, Manning has neve done that and Manning has had elite weapons around him on offense while most of Brady's career(outsode of '07 & '09) he has had average offensive talent around him.

A QB cannot do it on his own but the best elevate their play in the biggest spots, NE wouldn't have a single SB title right now if not for Brady. They wouldn't even have been a playoff team in 2001 if Bledsoe was the QB.

On Marino, I have him in my top 5 even though he never won a SB b/c I feel he elevated his teams to even being postseason teams. He had average talent around him most of his career. Put him on Indy in the 00s and he has at least 3 SB titles.

clear.gif

Back
Top Bottom