Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL?

Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL

Votes: 70 39.8%
  • Top 5

Votes: 94 53.4%
  • Top 10

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Top 20

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lower than Top 20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No doubt about it, AV is the best of all time and he would have helped but it's hard to blame the '94 loss on Pete alone when you blew such a big lead. There were many culprits.

The pats and Giants weren't supposed to have a chance but many people picked NO and GB(I did- I also picked NE in '01 and won alot of money in that game:D).

Funny enough many I talked to here also were not sold on the Rams in 01, and a friend of mine also bet some crazy money at his Job in facvor of the Pats (A Jets fan...thier all crazy people). As for me, I also did not feel very confident that the Rams would win, but still rooted for them.

Funny enough many I talked to here also were not sold on the Rams in 01, and a friend of mine also bet some crazy money at his Job in facvor of the Pats (A Jets fan...thier all crazy people). As for me, I also did not feel very confident that the Rams would win, but still rooted for them.

I rooted hard against the Pats in the AFC playoffs but I rooted for them in the SB. I always root for the AFC teams, the only 2 years I haven't were Oak in '02 and Pitt last year.

I wouldn't have been upset if NE lost but I am ashamed to admit I did root for them- I rooted for you guys in '82 and '84 but I was very young back then and didn't know better:lol:

I rooted hard against the Pats in the AFC playoffs but I rooted for them in the SB. I always root for the AFC teams, the only 2 years I haven't were Oak in '02 and Pitt last year.

I wouldn't have been upset if NE lost but I am ashamed to admit I did root for them- I rooted for you guys in '82 and '84 but I was very young back then and didn't know better:lol:

You must have felt dirty afterwards. :lol:

Don't know if anyone said this, but it depends on When. I put the Dan Marino of 1984 as #1. Marino peaked early. The Marino of his last 5 years, not so much.

Best pure passer EVER...NO DOUBT about that. Not not he best QB ever. He is top 5 tho.

1. Montana
2. P. Manning
3. Brady
4. Dan the Man
5 Favre/Young

As far as old skool guys (Otto Graham, Unitis, Bradshaw, etc...) I never saw those guys play so its hard for me to judge them but obviously those guys are GREAT too.

Best pure passer EVER...NO DOUBT about that. Not not he best QB ever. He is top 5 tho.

1. Montana
2. P. Manning
3. Brady
4. Dan the Man
5 Favre/Young

As far as old skool guys (Otto Graham, Unitis, Bradshaw, etc...) I never saw those guys play so its hard for me to judge them but obviously those guys are GREAT too.

I couldn't disagree more w/ your #2 and the 2 guys you have at #5. All HOFers, I don't feel any belong near the top 5. peyton is getting closer, I have Favre around top 15, I don't think Young is a top 20 QB.

number1sign-1.jpg

1. Montana
2. P. Manning
3. Brady
4. Dan the Man
5 Favre/Young

I agree with him being the best pure passer, and not being the #1 overall QB, but no way is Manning and Brady ahead of Marino.

You switch Marino with the the team for Brady or Manning, you would find way more SBs for those teams.

Unlike Manning and Brady, defenses knew Marino was going to throw, but could not stop Marino.

Unlike now for Brady and Manning, in the 80s and 90s, D-players could mug the receivers, and try to end a QBs career with the shots they were allowed to get aways with, yet they could not stop Marino.

My top 5 goes:

1. Montana
2. Unitis *
3. Marino
4. Manning
5. Brady

*I also didn't see Unitis play, but I saw enough film and read enough things on him to know, this guy brought more toughness than any QB, and he still owns the record of most consecutive games throwing at least 1 TD, which shows how competive and driven he was.

No Favre because he was too much of a do or die QB, a QB with that many INTs (even with all the TDs he threw), is not worthy of top 5.

I agree with him being the best pure passer, and not being the #1 overall QB, but no way is Manning and Brady ahead of Marino.

You switch Marino with the the team for Brady or Manning, you would find way more SBs for those teams.

Unlike Manning and Brady, defenses knew Marino was going to throw, but could not stop Marino.

Unlike now for Brady and Manning, in the 80s and 90s, D-players could mug the receivers, and try to end a QBs career with the shots they were allowed to get aways with, yet they could not stop Marino.

My top 5 goes:

1. Montana
2. Unitis *
3. Marino
4. Manning
5. Brady

*I also didn't see Unitis play, but I saw enough film and read enough things on him to know, this guy brought more toughness than any QB, and he still owns the record of most consecutive games throwing at least 1 TD, which shows how competive and driven he was.

No Favre because he was too much of a do or die QB, a QB with that many INTs (even with all the TDs he threw), is not worthy of top 5.

W/ manning yes but Brady very rarely had top offensive talent around him. really he had one full healthy season and he led his team to 16-0 and smashed records.

defenses know Brayd and Manning are passing and can't stop them until postseason in manning's case and until postseason lately in Brady's case.

Defensive players couldn't mug WRs in the 80s, they had a little more freedom but it wasn't like the 60s or 70s.

I like your list w/ the exception of manning. Great QB but had the advantage of playing over half his games in domes and his failures in postseason drop him down on my list especially since he has always had top level offensive talent around him since day 1.

Best pure passer EVER...NO DOUBT about that. Not not he best QB ever.

I hate this distinction. Since the 1970's BEST PASSER = BEST QB. Unless you mean best thrower or strongest arm. The job of the QB is to pass the football. That means read the defense, adjust the play, avoid the rush, find the open receiver, throw the ball in a place where they are the most likely person to catch it. The job of the offense is to score points. The most direct way that a QB can affect that is to throw TD passes. Marino was the best ever at throwing TD passes. IMO, his 1984 season was the best by any QB ever, including the years Manning threw 49 and Brady threw 50.

Every QB since passing became a significant part of offense has had that as their primary role. There haven't been ANY QBs in 40 years who were considered great because of how they ran the ball. Even Steve Young (who started as a running QB) admits that he needed to become primarily a pocket QB to become a true NFL QB.

None of the people you put on your list ahead of Marino were significant threats to do anything except throw the ball from the pocket. How can Marino be a better passer than them but not a better QB?

W/ manning yes but Brady very rarely had top offensive talent around him. really he had one full healthy season and he led his team to 16-0 and smashed records.

Brady until he got one of the more talented WR ever, and one of the best slot receivers ever, his numbers were very average compared to Mannings, Montana and Marino. Manning has had a whole mess of different Receivers, and has looked good. Brady had the defense, Manning not so much, Marino never. Brady's teams found ways to run the ball, Manning's team found ways to run the ball, Marino's teams could not run the ball. Just last year The Pats ran for an averege of 4.3 per attempt

defenses know Brayd and Manning are passing and can't stop them until postseason in manning's case and until postseason lately in Brady's case.

Last year the Pats ran for an averege of 4.3 per attempt (123.3 yards a game), there are many years like this one for Brady. Manning has also had more years where they could run, then the y couldn't.

Defensive players couldn't mug WRs in the 80s, they had a little more freedom but it wasn't like the 60s or 70s.

Compared to today, at time it looked like a mugging. They got away with alot of hand play, and pushing and disrupting a recievers route after 5 yards, they hit th receiver earlier then they should have, and there was not call.

I like your list w/ the exception of manning. Great QB but had the advantage of playing over half his games in domes and his failures in postseason drop him down on my list especially since he has always had top level offensive talent around him since day 1.

I will give you that, Domes help in the regular season, but unless you have the best record in the AFC, you will have to play in cold weather, and rain in the playoffs. He also did not have much of a defense in most of those seasons, so he had to compensate, by having be almost flawless on Offense.

Brady until he got one of the more talented WR ever, and one of the best slot receivers ever, his numbers were very average compared to Mannings, Montana and Marino. Manning has had a whole mess of different Receivers, and has looked good. Brady had the defense, Manning not so much, Marino never. Brady's teams found ways to run the ball, Manning's team found ways to run the ball, Marino's teams could not run the ball. Just last year The Pats ran for an averege of 4.3 per attempt

Last year the Pats ran for an averege of 4.3 per attempt (123.3 yards a game), there are many years like this one for Brady. Manning has also had more years where they could run, then the y couldn't.

Compared to today, at time it looked like a mugging. They got away with alot of hand play, and pushing and disrupting a recievers route after 5 yards, they hit th receiver earlier then they should have, and there was not call.

I will give you that, Domes help in the regular season, but unless you have the best record in the AFC, you will have to play in cold weather, and rain in the playoffs. He also did not have much of a defense in most of those seasons, so he had to compensate, by having be almost flawless on Offense.

Manning had elite offensive talent around him from day 1. Brady had that for one healthy season w/ Moss and he smashed records and went 16-0.

The Pats ran it well b/c D's were petrified of NE's passing offense.

I agree Marino never had great talent around him but neither has Brady for most of his career.

Peyton's D's were much better than given credit for. In their 10 playoff losses Peyton has led his high powered )s to 14 PPG, you arent going to win many playoff games scoring 14 points.

I hate this distinction. Since the 1970's BEST PASSER = BEST QB. Unless you mean best thrower or strongest arm. The job of the QB is to pass the football. That means read the defense, adjust the play, avoid the rush, find the open receiver, throw the ball in a place where they are the most likely person to catch it. The job of the offense is to score points. The most direct way that a QB can affect that is to throw TD passes. Marino was the best ever at throwing TD passes. IMO, his 1984 season was the best by any QB ever, including the years Manning threw 49 and Brady threw 50.

Every QB since passing became a significant part of offense has had that as their primary role. There haven't been ANY QBs in 40 years who were considered great because of how they ran the ball. Even Steve Young (who started as a running QB) admits that he needed to become primarily a pocket QB to become a true NFL QB.

None of the people you put on your list ahead of Marino were significant threats to do anything except throw the ball from the pocket. How can Marino be a better passer than them but not a better QB?

There are many things that go into being a grea QB.

1. Field General......how does he lead his team, taking into account time, and what weapons he has, and needs to be done.
2. Reading defense...How well does he see the field.
3. Arm Strenth........How much time does it take the ball to reach the receiver, once the ball leaves the QB.
4. Arm release.........How much time does it take the ball to leave the QB, the moment he sees the open receiver.
5. Under pressure....How does he respond under pressure.
6. Agility................ How does he move in the pocket, can he run for yardage if nothing is there.
7. 6th sense...........A feel for the pass-rush, where it was and how much time he had.

Marino was great in most of those (except Agility), but tough to say he was the greatest at all them, and to me Montana and Unitis did too much to put Marino ahead of them.....just my opinion, if I had a choice, I would still pick Marino over any of them.

There are many things that go into being a grea QB.

1. Field General......how does he lead his team, taking into account time, and what weapons he has, and needs to be done.
2. Reading defense...How well does he see the field.
3. Arm Strenth........How much time does it take the ball to reach the receiver, once the ball leaves the QB.
4. Arm release.........How much time does it take the ball to leave the QB, the moment he sees the open receiver.
5. Under pressure....How does he respond under pressure.
6. Agility................ How does he move in the pocket, can he run for yardage if nothing is there.
7. 6th sense...........A feel for the pass-rush, where it was and how much time he had.

Marino was great in most of those (except Agility), but tough to say he was the greatest at all them, and to me Montana and Unitis did too much to put Marino ahead of them.....just my opinion, if I had a choice, I would still pick Marino over any of them.

All of those contribute to how good a PASSER the QB is (except for the running for yardage part). IMO, that's why the distinction between PASSER and QB is ridiculous based on how the game of NFL football is played. Totally different situation in college. You can be a great college QB and not be a great passer. That is why so many great college QBs fail in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom