Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL?

Where does Dan Marino rank amongst all quarterbacks that have played in the NFL

Votes: 70 39.8%
  • Top 5

Votes: 94 53.4%
  • Top 10

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Top 20

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Lower than Top 20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's funny: When I hear people talk about Marino being the greatest PASSER of all time, it makes me chuckle. What the hell else is a QB measured by? I've never heard anyone say: "Damn that guy can hand off better than any QB I have ever watched!!" Talk about leadership: Marino MADE everyone around him better. The offense wanted to play harder because of this man. Talk about heart and determination: Marino was literally never out of a game, never held his head down in defeat. He believed in himself as did his team mates. Talk about a guy who could literally carry an offense on his shoulders: Marino seldom, if ever, had a legitimate running game behind him. Defenses knew he was going to throw it. The entire game plan, game after game, was all about stopping Dan. Our running game was an afterthought at best. Yet, Marino delivered - consistently, and in the process frustrated defenses and opposing coaches regularly. The guy could not be stopped. AS Marino was quoted saying: "You can't defend a perfect pass." And Marino threw perfect passes. And it wasn't this high percentage BS like the West Coast offenses that were born in his era (Montana, Young). It was attacking down field. LOW percentage passing - yet Marino was successful at it without the luxury off play action because, like I said, our running game was never respected. Was Marino a scrambler? Absolutely not. But he moved better within the pocket than any other QB I have seen. He had an uncanny ability to make defenders miss, keep his head down field, reset his feet, and fire a laser perfectly under duress. It was incredible to watch. And he did all of this in an era, as someone else mentioned, where WRs didn't run amok in the secondary. In Marino's years (his prime years especially) WRs could be mugged anytime as long as the ball wasn't in the air. Yet, he was able to buy time - give the receiver time come open and deliver a strike. Also, during the better part of Marino's years, QBs weren't protected with all the ***** rules they have now-days.
To those who state Marino never won a SB, therefore can't be the best. I present to you: Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, etc...etc...etc... That is simply a BS argument.
IF you would, imagine Marino playing with the rules they have now. That is a scary thought. 60 TD passes: VERY realistic. And his yardage would be astronomical. I've heard Peyton Manning mentioned. He's a great QB - a student of the game. And who does he study? Probably - no LIKELY -Dan Marino. This guy was incredible. He IS the guy any QB should want to model himself after. He IS the greatest QB of all time. I have yet to see anything like him. Ask yourself how Manning, Brady, Favre (all time INT leader) would do in the 80s- early 90's era where the rules didn't favor QBs and WRs. Would they be as proficient? Not likely. Marino is the guy who set the stage for the QBs today. He was one of a kind. We'll never again see anything like him. It was awe-inspiring to watch him play.
Had Marino had even GOOD defenses, his lack of a ring would never even be and issue. Miami never had an all around good defense when he played. Not once. He never had a game changing back like Elway eventually got. He didn't have the don't touch the QB and WRs rules that we have today. If you want to see the best QB to ever play, look up Dan Marino. He was incredible. He was the perfect QB.

definitely top 5...but the lack of winning a championship hurts him...there's just no way around it...even one championship and i think you could make a strong case for him at #1...its too bad

There are many things that go into being a grea QB.

1. Field General......how does he lead his team, taking into account time, and what weapons he has, and needs to be done.
2. Reading defense...How well does he see the field.
3. Arm Strenth........How much time does it take the ball to reach the receiver, once the ball leaves the QB.
4. Arm release.........How much time does it take the ball to leave the QB, the moment he sees the open receiver.
5. Under pressure....How does he respond under pressure.
6. Agility................ How does he move in the pocket, can he run for yardage if nothing is there.
7. 6th sense...........A feel for the pass-rush, where it was and how much time he had.

Marino was great in most of those (except Agility), but tough to say he was the greatest at all them, and to me Montana and Unitis did too much to put Marino ahead of them.....just my opinion, if I had a choice, I would still pick Marino over any of them.
Have you ever seen Marino move in the pocket? Dude was ridiculous. He wasn't that good on the run, but honestly, he didn't need to be.

Have you ever seen Marino move in the pocket? Dude was ridiculous. He wasn't that good on the run, but honestly, he didn't need to be.

Obviously not the quickest or fastest guy but he had amazing footwork and that combined w/ his quick release prevented many sacks.

There is a difference with pocket presence and Agility, Marino had the most lethal 1 step in football. The Guy could feel the pressure, knew where it was coming from, and would step to the side, back or forward.

Marino was not agile, If there was nothing there, he could not take off with it, because he would be caught, he could not scramble to long, because he would get caught.

There is a difference with pocket presence and Agility, Marino had the most lethal 1 step in football. The Guy could feel the pressure, knew where it was coming from, and would step to the side, back or forward.

Marino was not agile, If there was nothing there, he could not take off with it, because he would be caught, he could not scramble to long, because he would get caught.
You said that moving in the pocket was part of agility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marino was one of the most agile QBs in a small area. Not fast but very good feet. Check out the link I posted. That video covers it well.

if i could choose any quarterback that ever played the game, in the prime of their respective careers, and put them behind center to drive down the field to win it all, i would choose dan marino to be that guy. to me he is the best to ever play the game. i've read all the arguments about winning championships, agility and athleticism, bla bla bla. i don't care, marino is my guy if i get to choose.

You said that moving in the pocket was part of agility.

My mistake, I wrote....."6. Agility................ How does he move in the pocket, can he run for yardage if nothing is there"

I should have also stated why I believed Marino lacked in this area.

Marino was good in short area, not because of how agile he was, but because of awesome insticts, a feeling of where he was relitive to the pass rush.

If Marino was very agile, he would have been moving left...right....back....forth, all over the place, but instead he did something even better, he took the 1 or 2 step away from the pass-rush, then stood in there a few more seconds before passing the ball.

Bill Walsh, the coach of the QB that lots of "experts" believed was the greatest QB ever (Joe Montana) said it was Dan Marino!! Brett Favre saw his numbers go up after changing the rules on contact (making it easier for WR's and QB's). To this date the only one close to reaching the mark of yards on a single season was Brees. With today rules, it is unbelievable that neither Manning nor Brady, not a single QB has been able to reach that mark. Put Marino on his prime instead of Sanchez (ugghh!!! Just to think it makes me puke!!) and he could demolish any present record... eaaasily!

My mistake, I wrote....."6. Agility................ How does he move in the pocket, can he run for yardage if nothing is there"

I should have also stated why I believed Marino lacked in this area.

Marino was good in short area, not because of how agile he was, but because of awesome insticts, a feeling of where he was relitive to the pass rush.

If Marino was very agile, he would have been moving left...right....back....forth, all over the place, but instead he did something even better, he took the 1 or 2 step away from the pass-rush, then stood in there a few more seconds before passing the ball.

Before the achilles injury, Marino was very agile. Had great footwork and quickness to go along with his pocket awareness.

Back
Top Bottom