Where Does Suh Rank Among Miami's All-time Dt's? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where Does Suh Rank Among Miami's All-time Dt's?

Where Does Suh Rank Among Miami's DT's?

• First Overall

Votes: 16 30.8%
  • Second Overall

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Third Overall

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Fourth or lower

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters
Manny Fernandez is not in the Hall of Fame, but he should be. And he should've at least been co-MVP in SB VII with Jake Scott, after recording 17 tackles and a sack.
Wow, my memory's slipping but you're right, he should be

4th......not because of his talent...because of his impact.

Manny Fernandez is #1....(3 Superbowls...undefeated...2 world championships)

Baumhower anchored the Killer Bees and made 5 pro bowls...#2 (2 Super Bowl appearances)

Bob Heinz....No name defense...Champions...nuff said

Suh #4

Wow, my memory's slipping but you're right, he should be

It's a joke that only Buoniconti is in the HoF from those No Name Defense Super Bowl teams. Arnsparger should be in too! The 0-4 Minnesota Vikings defense has Alan Page, Carl Eller and Paul Krause in the Hall....wth!?

I voted 2nd while Bowens had a longer tenure in Miami I feel in terms of talent it's not debatable and if not for that atrocious contract he would probably still be here. Suh after all was arguably a top 15 defensive player in the NFL during his time here despite not putting up gaudy numbers.

Someone I know just bought Suh's house. Not someone I know very well so I'll probably never get invited over. If I ever get over there I'll post some pics. The house is supposed to be insanely beautiful.

Tim Bowens was one of the most underrated players in Miami Dolphins history. All he did, was his job. He stacked the LOS with consistency. And will forever be one of my favorite players to ever wear a Dolphins uniform. I was too young to remember most of Fernandez’s years and Baumhower was incredible in his own right. For me, Suh was the most intense and athletic of any player to play DT for Miami. He did his job extremely well, but for whatever reason, was unable to lift the teams run defense to another level; like the others mentioned. I will always be perplex as to how that couldn't happen, when others like Bowens were able to do so, with lesser overall talent? Bowen's and Chester formed one hell of a duo. I'll never forget the year Miami signed Chester, I was listening to the sports radio station and F/A had just begun. And within a few minutes they were reporting, Miami signed him. I was like, Oh okay!!! I remembered him from Carolina and began to wonder if he was any good. Chester IMO was one of the more successful F/A signings Miami ever had. Very underrated just like his running mate. One thing I’d like to mention is, both Fernandez and Baumhower played before Directv and the Sunday ticket, therefore, I lost out on seeing them play every week.
I had forgotten about Chester. Thanks for your post.

Ndamukong Suh is rated among the very best Defensive Tackles to ever play the game. (He's also the wealthiest).

Wealthiest is amazing... Hes definitely talented but he has won ZERO playoff games in his entire career. (Wish I could get paid for talent and not results). Pretty sure he will get his first Playoff win this year and probably more that Rams D is looking evil.

As for the original question i'm not knowledgeable enough about the early years to answer but I do remember being excited to have Suh join us and now I am actually happy that he is gone. I would consider him a bust for the Phins but only for the QB money we gave him.

Talent-wise Suh is as good as anyone. But impact-wise I'd call him 4th. He did not play long for the Miami Dolphins.

The hardest thing to evaluate is the fact that while they are all DT's, they fundamentally play different roles. Bob Baumhower and Manny Fernandez were as good as just about any nose tackle that ever played. They were dominant players. The trouble is that their role was to clog the middle, dominate at the point of attack, and prevent the interior run game from going anywhere. It was a running league back then, and trench warfare meant even more than it does today.

Today, the NFL has moved to a predominantly passing game, and clogging the run lanes has taken a distant back seat to disruptive penetration. Guys like Ndamakong Suh are dominant disruptors in the passing game, and demand double teams as well as push the pocket back into the QB preventing a step-up to avoid edge rushers. In Miami, he was devastating at it. And, despite being a penetration player, he possessed the raw power to manhandle a single OL and hold his ground against two OL. He was an excellent reactor to the run and a great arm tackler so his production against the run was great compared to other current DT's. But, he only played two seasons, and the defense wasn't even good those two seasons, so it's hard to say he lifted his teammates. Had he been a 5+ year Dolphin, he would rate higher, but today I'd rate him 4th, behind Baumhower, Fernandez and Bowens, but ahead of very talented players like Darryl Gardner. But, if I were picking an All-Time Dolphins team in their prime to play today, Suh is the first DT I would select.

IMHO, we are going to sorely miss Suh this year. We definitely need at least one more DT, and really we need one that's better than all of the DT's we currently have, because they're all below average rotational types. What is Hankins situation regarding health, fitness and contract demands?

Jake Scott?
I mean he should be too
And I'd argue that D. ick Anderson is even more deserving than Jake Scott … and both should be in the HoF along with Manny Fernandez. Bill Standfill was very good too.

Back
Top Bottom