Who Are You Pounding the Table For? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Are You Pounding the Table For?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Always love to ask this question. Would be awesome to know who McDaniel is pounding the table for and Weaver as the new DC.

I've got two so far:
1. Bowers
2. Verse

Yes, both are likely gone. But recent mocks have them within striking distance. Bowers is usually around 15-16, close enough perhaps for a trade-up (next year's 2nd rounder?). Can you imagine Hill, Waddle and Bowers? How do you defend that?

Close to pounding the table for Franklin, Thomas and D. Robinson. Mims? So hard for me to judge offensive line.

At 55, it's so much harder to speculate, but maybe Sanders if he makes it. Wilson at linebacker is someone else I like a lot, though injuries factor in. Legette perhaps.

If Miami is able to get a 3rd rounder, Benson, Estime, Allen, Sinnott would be on my radar.

The Dolphins have to get better in short yardage situations. Keep the chains moving and the defense off the field.

I'm pounding the table for a trade down. Anyone who has read my comments knows I'm all in on drafting two linemen this year, but I'd also like to score one of the RBs-- which we could likely do in the third.

If I had more of a pecking order with regard to the Tackles, I would say, 'just make the pick', but honestly... I can't really separate the Tackles who are likely to be in our range. The longer I look at them, the hazier it gets for me.

I really like the Athletic profile of Mims, but he has the least experience. Guyton is a guy I've always liked, and seems to be rising, Latham might fall. Morgan, Barton, and Fautanu might all end up inside (but that wouldn't be horrible if Armstead plays another year). Hell, Paul, Sumataia, or the Yale kid might work... the Tackles are really deep this year.

So... I've been gradually moving towards the idea that we could probably trade down a bit... and still land one of these big men... so my goal is to land two of them (or better yet, one of them and one of the top three Centers).

So I'm pounding the table for something like this... trade down 10-15 spots, then use the acquired late pick for one of the RBs.

End up with Center, OT/OG, RB.

Something like Powers-Johnson, Sumataia, Estime is a reasonable possibility.

I'm pounding the table for a trade down. Anyone who has read my comments knows I'm all in on drafting two linemen this year, but I'd also like to score one of the RBs-- which we could likely do in the third.

If I had more of a pecking order with regard to the Tackles, I would say, 'just make the pick', but honestly... I can't really separate the Tackles who are likely to be in our range. The longer I look at them, the hazier it gets for me.

I really like the Athletic profile of Mims, but he has the least experience. Guyton is a guy I've always liked, and seems to be rising, Latham might fall. Morgan, Barton, and Fautanu might all end up inside (but that wouldn't be horrible if Armstead plays another year). Hell, Paul, Sumataia, or the Yale kid might work... the Tackles are really deep this year.

So... I've been gradually moving towards the idea that we could probably trade down a bit... and still land one of these big men... so my goal is to land two of them (or better yet, one of them and one of the top three Centers).

So I'm pounding the table for something like this... trade down 10-15 spots, then use the acquired late pick for one of the RBs.

End up with Center, OT/OG, RB.

Something like Powers-Johnson, Sumataia, Estime is a reasonable possibility.
I expect Grier would like to trade down. I keep thinking San Francisco or Philadelphia could be trade partners. Grier has made trades with both of those teams and I think they could target a specific player, rather than players.

The 49ers have a lot of picks too.

I expect Grier would like to trade down. I keep thinking San Francisco or Philadelphia could be trade partners. Grier has made trades with both of those teams and I think they could target a specific player, rather than players.

The 49ers have a lot of picks too.
Agreed...

A lot of times, the brothers here will over focus on the fact that teams trade up for QBs... and while this is obviously true... teams will trade up for other positions as well-- especially when a player is falling.

I think we'll get offers... and I think we'd take a good one.

I would need to know who is on the board at #21 to answer but Mims would certainly be one.

IF Fuaga was somehow there or Bowers but they won't be.
If I'm being honest, there may be more needs on defense for Miami, especially if they lose Wilkins.

But, nail down the offensive needs and I think this team could take off. My goal would be to improve dramatically in the short yardage offense. That's probably adding two offensive linemen early, and a physical back.

Maybe the TE add is through free agency?

Basically, Feverdream's approach.

Agreed...

A lot of times, the brothers here will over focus on the fact that teams trade up for QBs... and while this is obviously true... teams will trade up for other positions as well-- especially when a player is falling.

I think we'll get offers... and I think we'd take a good one.
That could also put Sanders in play at the end of round 1. Something else to consider there.

The NFL is an offensive first league now. Very few Defense first teams win the Super Bowl any longer, and while a balanced team is best, I would rather have more offense than defense than the reverse.

Looking at the defensive side of the ball with regard to free agency, there are ALWAYS cheap off-ball LBs available... always. Safeties and Defensive Tackles are always out there... always.
And lately, there are generally slightly faded Edge players available on 1 year contracts...

So my focus during the offseason is to bargain hunt these positions, so you can invest your draft capital elsewhere.

My opinion on this may eventually change, but only if the economics of FA change. Right now, the positions that I have listed are cheap and plentiful.

The NFL is an offensive first league now. Very few Defense first teams win the Super Bowl any longer, and while a balanced team is best, I would rather have more offense than defense than the reverse.

Looking at the defensive side of the ball with regard to free agency, there are ALWAYS cheap off-ball LBs available... always. Safeties and Defensive Tackles are always out there... always.
And lately, there are generally slightly faded Edge players available on 1 year contracts...

So my focus during the offseason is to bargain hunt these positions, so you can invest your draft capital elsewhere.

My opinion on this may eventually change, but only if the economics of FA change. Right now, the positions that I have listed are cheap and plentiful.
What I've been dreaming on for a long time is to be better than league average in short yardage situations.

Get to that level and Miami is moving the chains, winning TOP, and keeping the defense off the field. Should lead to more points as well.

The run game really improved from year one to year two with McDaniel. That's one of his biggest positives, but I don't think he trusted the short yardage run game too often passing in those situations.

I think that's the obvious next evolution. The offensive line was better than expected considering the injuries, but needs some additional talent.

I think the tight end add will have to be in free agency, but I do think Julian Hill has more to offer as a receiver.

It's time to add a power back as well.

Back
Top Bottom