Who Are You Pounding the Table For? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Are You Pounding the Table For?

The NFL is an offensive first league now. Very few Defense first teams win the Super Bowl any longer, and while a balanced team is best, I would rather have more offense than defense than the reverse.

Looking at the defensive side of the ball with regard to free agency, there are ALWAYS cheap off-ball LBs available... always. Safeties and Defensive Tackles are always out there... always.
And lately, there are generally slightly faded Edge players available on 1 year contracts...

So my focus during the offseason is to bargain hunt these positions, so you can invest your draft capital elsewhere.

My opinion on this may eventually change, but only if the economics of FA change. Right now, the positions that I have listed are cheap and plentiful.
Totally agree here. With any luck we can patch together a decent defense despite a fair number of issues on that side of the ball but we don't have the resources to really load up there while also getting the offense where it needs to be. Going to take two off-seasons for that so we might as well try and get one unit to real "master" status and that's the offense. Even with limited resources we should be able to add a few critical pieces around our core there to hopefully do that.

No matter what we do the defense is going to be a work in progress with new defensive coaches, turnover at every level of the defense with critical players (depending on if CW is retained or not) and bad injuries to our two 1st round pedigree edge rushers. We could use every draft pick we have on D and still end up a middling defense, easily. I think we have to get this offense right first and foremost.

It all starts with the line.
Depends on who we can be resigned Hunt and or Williams.
Everything I have read says its a great draft for the line.
Time to take our medicine and hopefully draft
Mims followed up by Van Pran.
Grier has a history of finding gems later on so hopefully he can find some good ones with his later picks

Not a fan of passing on talent for average players/projects for need.

3 years later we're saying, should have taken Justin Jefferson, TJ Watt etc...

It's a tough spot, someone special could fall to 21, clearly the team need more picks.

You're not going to get it all in one draft.

Advice to Miami, do the homework, stay flexible, acquire real talent, don't f**k it up...

It's a tough spot, someone special could fall to 21, clearly the team need more picks.

Advice to Miami, do the homework, stay flexible, acquire real talent, don't f**k it up...
The reason to move back is to acquire more picks(which the Fins need for multiple reasons)but I never say they should pass on a true quality guy to add picks.

Your example of TJ Watt is not about moving back it was about terrible scouting/being a slave to "system fit" as Miami took a different edge instead of Watt.

And nobody thought Jefferson was going to be such a beast, he was drafted right where he was universally ranked.Reaching for Jackson was a "need" pick and I agree that is usually a mistake.To be fair you could argue that every team except Cincy and LAC should have taken Jefferson in R1 that year.

But sure, Miami would have been better off taking both of them and many, many more that I don't even want to get into as I will sink into a despair spiral.

The reason to move back is to acquire more picks(which the Fins need for multiple reasons)but I never say they should pass on a true quality guy to add picks.

Your example of TJ Watt is not about moving back it was about terrible scouting/being a slave to "system fit" as Miami took a different edge instead of Watt.

And nobody thought Jefferson was going to be such a beast, he was drafted right where he was universally ranked.Reaching for Jackson was a "need" pick and I agree that is usually a mistake.To be fair you could argue that every team except Cincy and LAC should have taken Jefferson in R1 that year.

But sure, Miami would have been better off taking both of them and many, many more that I don't even want to get into as I will sink into a despair spiral.

SF Dolphin Fan is the only person I saw who had Jefferson ad WR1 in that class - credit where it's due. But, you're right that almost no one thought he'd be SO good.

Bears, Patriots, Chargers, Broncos, Bengals would probably all like a TE as good as Bowers.

Not sure how we would be able to finagle getting him ourselves.

And please don't say trade up.

Jackson Powers-Johnson, Amarius Mims, Ben Sinnott, and Jaheim Bell are the players I think about the most for Miami. Went ahead and checked my rankings vs the consensus rankings at Mock Draft Database, and here are the guys I'm higher on than the consensus (possible I missed a handful):

QB - Bo Nix, JJ McCarthy, Spencer Rattler
RB - Audric Estime, Marshawn Lloyd, Jase McClellan
WR - Troy Franklin, Javon Baker, Malik Washington, Jalen McMillan
TE - Ben Sinnott, Jaheim Bell, AJ Barner
OT - Amarius Mims, Kiran Amegadjie, Javon Foster, Christian Jones, Walter Rouse
IOL - Jackson Powers-Johnson
Edge - Chris Braswell, Javon Solomon, Austin Booker
DT - Tyler Davis, Marcus Harris, Justin Egboigbe
LB - Curtis Jacobs, JD Bertrand
CB - Cam Hart, Khyree Jackson, Jarrian Jones, Kamal Hadden, Willie Roberts

Really I’d like to just get this OL rebuild over with. It makes for a boring draft but I’m tired of it and want it done.

I believe that smaller QB’s struggle more with inside pressure as opposed to pressure from the edges. The interior OL would be my priority , especially if trading down is an option. So I’ll jump on the JPJ bandwagon.

Jackson Powers-Johnson, Amarius Mims, Ben Sinnott, and Jaheim Bell are the players I think about the most for Miami. Went ahead and checked my rankings vs the consensus rankings at Mock Draft Database, and here are the guys I'm higher on than the consensus (possible I missed a handful):

QB - Bo Nix, JJ McCarthy, Spencer Rattler
RB - Audric Estime, Marshawn Lloyd, Jase McClellan
WR - Troy Franklin, Javon Baker, Malik Washington, Jalen McMillan
TE - Ben Sinnott, Jaheim Bell, AJ Barner
OT - Amarius Mims, Kiran Amegadjie, Javon Foster, Christian Jones, Walter Rouse
IOL - Jackson Powers-Johnson
Edge - Chris Braswell, Javon Solomon, Austin Booker
DT - Tyler Davis, Marcus Harris, Justin Egboigbe
LB - Curtis Jacobs, JD Bertrand
CB - Cam Hart, Khyree Jackson, Jarrian Jones, Kamal Hadden, Willie Roberts
I love Bo nix, I think he’s going to be very good in the nfl.

This sounds good to me. Especially the last part ..

Bears, Patriots, Chargers, Broncos, Bengals would probably all like a TE as good as Bowers.

Not sure how we would be able to finagle getting him ourselves.

And please don't say trade up.
If we can't get him hopefully he doesn't end up in the AFC w/ a Burrow or Herbert. Mosey on over to Chi town, that's fine if not Miami.

Back
Top Bottom