Who do you take? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who do you take?

Thought from a new guy for whatever it is worth:

As a Georgia fan, I love Amarius Mims and he's not Isaiah Wilson, who was a first round bust of the Titans, but there are some similarities. He's RT only imo, who had 8 starts for Georgia and battled multiple injuries. I don't know if you could project him inside to guard like you can with Fatanu. I'm surprised so many sites including PFF have us taking Mims when it wouldn't make sense given the extension to AJ.

I think Fatanu is going to be great and it would be nice to kick him inside until he's ready to take over for Armstead or until TA is injured. Unfortunately, Troy killed it at the combine and I don't see him getting to us at #21.

Graham Barton would be fine, especially if we could trade down, get more picks and then take the versatile Duke linemen.

I also like JPJ but think Grier has tipped his hand by signing Aaron Brewer so quickly. The idea that they can move Brewer to guard isn't realistic to me as it seems like they had a plan as soon as free agency opened and executed it.

I like the idea of drafting a replacement for TA but think the team is in win now mode and unless one of the top LT's slips I don't see them reaching for Tyler Guyton who wouldn't add as much right away as an EDGE or third WR would.

If I'm Coach McLovin' I'm probably banging the table for a speed option at WR with some size as the Dolphin offense struggled when either Waddle or Hill missed time last season.

Love AD Mitchell who was a TD machine at both Georgia and Texas and brings 4.33 speed and much more size than the guys we have. Brian Thomas offers the same size and speed. Like Xavier Worthy but the drops and the similarities to the 2 starters at WR tell me he won't be the guy at #21.

I'd be curious what the drop off in talent between picks 21 and 55 are for DT, EDGE, WR and OL. In doing a little draft prep it seems to me that the biggest drop off between rounds 1 and 2 come at EDGE and OL.

Has to be BPA and Mims would be that if still there at 21 along with Fautanu. I don't think we would even take Bowers at 21 if there, even though he's a top top prospect. We need a T that will kick into G for 1 season then next season when Armstead likely retires, move back to T.
If Bowers is there (extremely unlikely) I'd run to that podium. He's the best TE I've seen come out of college and is one of the main reasons Georgia won two straight natties.
He would be a game changer for the Miami offense and would be too good to pass up. Too big for a DB, too fast for LB's to cover and just the ultimate winner and team guy

The more I think about it I might just take Brian Thomas. He would be the BPA of the 4 listed players. He is 6'3 209 and he ran a 4.33. He could be a poor man's Justin Jefferson or Jamar Chase both also LSU alums. I don't think any of the other players listed have his upside.

Remember we made the mistake of reaching for need for Austin Jackson at 18 back in 2020 when we could have selected Justin Jeffferson. Maybe we could just overwhelm defenses with pass catching talent.

We also have to consider that Tyreek Hill will be 30 soon and he has been injured frequently and Jaylen Waddle will be a Free Agent next year and he himself has been injury prone.

There is some good talent available in rounds 3 and 4 so if we could trade down with our 2nd round pick and acquire an extra draft pick we could still address some of our other draft needs.
From a pure excitement level, that may be the best move. Thomas has insane ability.

The best case for me is Powers-Johnson at 21 or Mims, go oline here. Then get the DT from Texas, Sweat to replace Wilkins. That guy is a mountain and he can move!! Trade back if able but I'd love to see us keep drafting trenches. We have a lot of speedy playmakers. Let's draft for oline and dline. Get stronger, meaner and much more physical. We have to build a great run game to go with our lethal passing attack. Teams have to fear our run game. We have to change the mentality and beat up on opponents late in games to preserve victories. If we're up by 5 points and we have the ball with 2 minutes left we have to be able to put the game away with the power run game. No more 3 passes and punt it back to the other team, are you kidding me?? Would Don Shuls do that???? No, he wouldn't. He'd give it to Larry and let him pound behind his tough, well coached oline. The other team knew what was coming, they couldn't stop it! Impose your will on the defense, instead of the other way around.
I think this is the missing super bowl ingredient. Obviously, easy to talk about and harder to actually accomplish. But become above average in short yardage and watch out.

Keep those chains moving and put teams away.

Hill, Waddle, Thomas Jr looks dangerous.

Zero chance...
I think there is a chance Thomas or Mitchell is the pick. I think all this talk about getting a vet receiver (unless he's a short term, low cost player) is just talk. I can't see them adding another big cap hit guy. I think the cap room we've made recently goes to other positions like OL and maybe DB/DE.

I know it won't happen, but if the following players are there who do you take.

Brian Thomas WR
Byron Murphy DT
Amarius Mimms OL
Laiatu Latu Edge

Heck throw any other player in there as well.
Who threw the overalls in Mrs Murphy's chowder?
Nobody answered so we shouted all the louder.
It's an Irish trick that's true
And I'll whip the mick that threw,
The overalls in Mrs Murphy's chowder.

So yeah, Murphy.

That's tough. I think I'd go Murphy and take an offensive lineman in the 2nd round.

Lots of bodies and competition at defensive tackle, but when Benito Jones is likely your best player there, have to think about upgrading.

Mims upside is incredible, though, and at a more premium position.
I'd say currently Benito is third best after Sieler and Hand. But agree with our biggest loss being on the DL we need a talent upgrade there.

You are the man. Exactly the guy I'm praying Miami selects. I just hope his post season performances don't improve his draft stock. He's been linked to Miami, since the college season ended. He's an athletic freak, who's also a very physical player.
PFF's most recent mock draft has Fautanu going 10th overall to the Jets. The second OL taken after Alt. There is a very good chance he won't make it to 21. They have Miami taking Murphy. On their rankings board though they have Murphy 9th and Fautanu 13th.

The best case for me is Powers-Johnson at 21 or Mims, go oline here. Then get the DT from Texas, Sweat to replace Wilkins. That guy is a mountain and he can move!! Trade back if able but I'd love to see us keep drafting trenches. We have a lot of speedy playmakers. Let's draft for oline and dline. Get stronger, meaner and much more physical. We have to build a great run game to go with our lethal passing attack. Teams have to fear our run game. We have to change the mentality and beat up on opponents late in games to preserve victories. If we're up by 5 points and we have the ball with 2 minutes left we have to be able to put the game away with the power run game. No more 3 passes and punt it back to the other team, are you kidding me?? Would Don Shuls do that???? No, he wouldn't. He'd give it to Larry and let him pound behind his tough, well coached oline. The other team knew what was coming, they couldn't stop it! Impose your will on the defense, instead of the other way around.
JPJ would be an upgrade even if he had to play RG due to Brewer. He'd also supply valuable depth at C at the same time. Anything to prevent Eich from playing C again.

I'm limiting it to the OP's listed guys. Among them I'd take Thomas or Latu. Latu ran better than I thought he would, and has the biggest move set of the top edge guys. WR3 is a need, and we use our #1 and #2 from the slot, or slot motion a lot. Thomas is both another speed piece for McDrip, and a bigger WR, that we need.

Back
Top Bottom