who do you think should get AL MVP?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

who do you think should get AL MVP??

djfresh47 said:
Jim Thome will get comeback player of the year. I'm a ChiSox fan but regardless of being a homer or not Jermaine Dye is a top 3 MVP player. I think Morneau but Jeter probably will. The White Sox were awful the 2nd half of the year but Dye deserves some credit.
Well, I'll argue the comeback player of the year award.

Both Thomas and Thome deserve it. They both had equally poor 2005's marred by poor performance and injury. Their numbers are VERY similiar:

Frank Thomas: .272, 38 HR, 107 RBI, .550 SLG., .383 OBP.
Jim Thome: .290, 42 HR, 106 RBI, .607 SLG., .417 OBP.

They could and should in my opinion, split the award.

As far as the MVP goes, unless your numbers are off the chart you have to be on a playoff team to win the MVP. Dye does deserve some top 5 consideration though.

The thing with the MVP that is kind of bugging me is how little respect Frank Thomas is getting. Look at the guys in the lineup surrounding him. Eric Chavez has been hurt and not hitting well the 2nd half, Milton Bradley was brutal in August, Swisher has been in the 7 hole for most of the 2nd half and Jay Paton doesn't scare anyone. Frank has been the A's offense since the all star break and they've been light's out since the break.

Morneau has been very good, don't get me wrong but he's got protection (Mauer, Hunter has been great in the 2nd half and Cuddyer). Jeter is in a loaded lineup.

I'm not saying Thomas deserves the MVP. I don't think a DH should ever win it unless they put up numbers that are substantially better then rivals AND his team is a playoff team. Using that criteria, Frank has no hope because his numbers, while good, are not world beating. I'd just like to hear his name in the discussion.

Jeter will win it.

MikeO said:
I am kinda rootring for Ortiz to win it (seriously, no joke)

Just beacuse I am sick and tired of hearing him and those chowder head fans in Boston cry about this thing. And to hear them go on about it for another 365 days might be too much to take.

Just give the crybaby the award so we can move on already and get everyone to shut up about it.

Seems the only one crying right now is you.. You bring Boston into everything.. (2nd City?)

marke27 said:
well this is a question alot of people are going to have a different view on. for me it comes down to a couple players. of course im going to say give it to my fav player Grady Sizemore, even thou he is on a losing team. just look at his numbers....he is #1 in the majors in extra base hits, #1 in the majors also in runs scored and doubles. #2 in the AL in triples....and also made some history this year becoming only the 4th player in major league history to have 25 hrs, 50 doubles and 10 triples...and you add in 20 plus steals and you have the complete player. but beside being a homer, if i had to give it to someone other then Grady, my vote would go to Justin Morneau of the Twins. i dont think Ortiz should get it cause for one hes a DH and doesnt play the feild, also he isnt the greatest avg hitter. so all in all Grady #1....but if it goes to a player on a winning team, it goes to Morneau. thoughts??

I don't think Grady Sizemore should finish in the top 5 in MVP voting from players in his own division. Mauer/Santana/Morneau/Dye/Thome should finish ahead of him. Grady Sizemore is a good player but he's not even close to being in the converstation for MVP. Playing on one of the most dissapointing teams in baseball does not help either.

GreenMonster said:
Seems the only one crying right now is you.. You bring Boston into everything.. (2nd City?)

Green didn't you know your not allowed to do that? only mikeo can use that 2nd city mentality saying.

unifiedtheory said:
Well, I'll argue the comeback player of the year award.

Both Thomas and Thome deserve it. They both had equally poor 2005's marred by poor performance and injury. Their numbers are VERY similiar:

Frank Thomas: .272, 38 HR, 107 RBI, .550 SLG., .383 OBP.
Jim Thome: .290, 42 HR, 106 RBI, .607 SLG., .417 OBP.

They could and should in my opinion, split the award.

As far as the MVP goes, unless your numbers are off the chart you have to be on a playoff team to win the MVP. Dye does deserve some top 5 consideration though.

The thing with the MVP that is kind of bugging me is how little respect Frank Thomas is getting. Look at the guys in the lineup surrounding him. Eric Chavez has been hurt and not hitting well the 2nd half, Milton Bradley was brutal in August, Swisher has been in the 7 hole for most of the 2nd half and Jay Paton doesn't scare anyone. Frank has been the A's offense since the all star break and they've been light's out since the break.

Morneau has been very good, don't get me wrong but he's got protection (Mauer, Hunter has been great in the 2nd half and Cuddyer). Jeter is in a loaded lineup.

I'm not saying Thomas deserves the MVP. I don't think a DH should ever win it unless they put up numbers that are substantially better then rivals AND his team is a playoff team. Using that criteria, Frank has no hope because his numbers, while good, are not world beating. I'd just like to hear his name in the discussion.

Jeter will win it.

wait wait hold on...morneau has protection? to start the year off i believe he was batting like 6th or 7th....now he bats 5th. i wouldnt say he has protection when mouer and cudder bat in front of him and hunter is not much of protection. hands down i think mourneau should get this award.

marke27 said:
wait wait hold on...morneau has protection? to start the year off i believe he was batting like 6th or 7th....now he bats 5th. i wouldnt say he has protection when mouer and cudder bat in front of him and hunter is not much of protection. hands down i think mourneau should get this award.

I am not going to say he morneau should win it, but he proably won't just because he plays in minnesota and not Chicago, NY, Bos, etc.

the mvp ranking right now should be

Ortiz>Morneau>Dye>Vlad>Thome>Hafner>
Thomas>Mauer>Jeter

dob72 said:
the mvp ranking right now should be

Ortiz>Morneau>Dye>Vlad>Thome>Hafner>Thomas>Mauer>Jeter

get ready to be flamed

UCFinfan86 said:
get ready to be flamed

Why? I think its obvious most are biased on this topic. None more than the Payroll Yankee haters.

Jeter's going to win the award. For guys like Morneau, Mauer, Ortiz, or Dye to win the award they would have had to do something special the last week of the season to win it and get their team to the playoffs. Since we have a week left in the season and the playoff teams are basically set, no one will have a chance to steal it from Jeter!

Motion said:
Why? I think its obvious most are biased on this topic. None more than the Payroll Yankee haters.

It works both ways. Most if not all yankee fans think jeter should win it, and most if not all other teams fans think someone else should win it.

UCFinfan86 said:
It works both ways. Most if not all yankee fans think jeter should win it, and most if not all other teams fans think someone else should win it.

Hence the word "most".

Motion said:
Hence the word "most".

I know we both used the word most, i just took your post as saying people were only not saying jeter because they are biased against jeter, if you were too including both sides were biased then my bad, i took it wrong

Back
Top Bottom