Who has seen the "Make A Wish Foundation" series on ESPN this past week? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who has seen the "Make A Wish Foundation" series on ESPN this past week?

MikeO said:
There is no problem with it, but its insulting. What, Kobe Bryant rapes a girl, but now because he plays with a dying kid for an hour he is a good guy???? Come on, its insulting! Make this a year round feature doing it with all kids (not just dying ones) and I have no problem with it.

Do it for 2 weeks where sports agents and PR guys can get their athletes some good, cheap, easy pub to make them look good......and its BS and insulting.
this isn't really about the athletes, it's about the kids getting their wish. If you think it's BS then so be it.

Rocky Raccoon said:
this isn't really about the athletes, it's about the kids getting their wish. If you think it's BS then so be it.

Agreed. It's about very sick kids feeling better about both themselves and life by meeting their heroes. This stuff happens almost daily where sick kids visit their favorite team or a player goes to visit them in a hospital or a player sends the kid some autographs, whether ESPN is there or not.

Rocky Raccoon said:

My problem isn't with the athletes :shakeno: ........its with ESPN.

ESPN should do this ALL THE TIME, YEAR ROUND, and do it for all kids, not just dying ones. And how about doing it without the cameras! Let's see how many athletes sign up for it then.

The way it looks (and this is an opinion held by many in the media not just me) is that ESPN is now using athletes for a couple weeks for the ...."look at us we are so great, give us credit" ....type of crap. When they could be doing this stuff all of the time with all types of kids, not just dying ones. They are exploiting sick kids to get good tv and credit for themselves. And if these cameras weren't there, these athletes would be charging kids $25 for an autograph (more if its on a bat or jersey, and an extra $10 for a picture).

Not to mention when I turn on ESPN, I don't want to see this. Sorry. Sports is supposed to be an escape from real life and so on and so forth. I don't want to tune into ESPN to see a bit of the Jerry Lewis Telethon every day. If they did this all the time year round, then maybe it would be tolerable. But this clear pandering of doing it for a couple weeks just to pat themselves on the back is insulting and disgusting all in one.

Ray Finkle said:
This stuff happens almost daily where sick kids visit their favorite team or a player goes to visit them in a hospital or a player sends the kid some autographs, whether ESPN is there or not.

And now ESPN is exploiting it for their personal gain. Thanks, you just made my point.

i agree, i watch sports to get away from the depressing things in life. i mean great this kid is happy now, but he's still going to die from some terminal disease soon, or live with a handicap . . . all the while ESPN and the NFL are there to capitalize.

i rather just watch sports for pennant races, trades, up and coming players , etc . . .

I thought the eagle reciever who gave the kid his gloves before practice was really an awesome gesture.

Players should not need a camera in front of them to help children with serious issues. If ESPN really cared and was not doing this just for publicity, they would make it as other people said, a year round thing. ESPN has plenty of space to have a 15 to 30 minute block of stories like this. Do we really need "ESPN Hollywood"? Why not give the whole series its own block if ESPN cares more for the kids than the publicity, there is two ESPN channels. There has got to be at least one open spot. So far I have only seen the Jeff Gordon episode, and it was a great episode.

I have never actually seen this series. I try to avoid things like that, not because I am a cold and heartless person, but because this type of thing while it is great for the kids is very sad and depressing to me. I start thinking about the kids and their families and all of the emotions they are feeling and I start to tear up.

I really hope that ESPN is doing this for the right reasons, but if I look at their track record for exploiting every little bit of news, I don't get a very good feeling. I am the type of person who does good things and doesn't brag about them to grab attention for myself. I don't understand why cameras need to be involved for sports players and big companies like ESPN to do a good deed. Maybe they do have good intentions, like I said I haven't seen it.

You know I love what they're doing but Mike-O brings up some great programs. Why not make this a year round deal without always having cameras? However I do think that they should only keep it with children that have life threating illnesses, they deserve it more then I do.

I would love to meet Junior Seau or LT, but there are many children out there who do not have a long time to live and they deserve it more than someone like me. Players that do things like this on their own are very good people, even if no one knows about it.

boltfan219 said:
I would love to meet Junior Seau or LT, but there are many children out there who do not have a long time to live and they deserve it more than someone like me. Players that do things like this on their own are very good people, even if no one knows about it.

good point

Back
Top Bottom