Who should be cut in 2004? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who should be cut in 2004?

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Being that the dolphins are expected to be an estimated 17 mil over next years cap (not including signing our own free agents like Wale and /or Wade), who do you think should be cut/ or have to restructure their contracts in order to get under the cap? Here is my list:

Tim Bowens
Tim Ruddy
Jamar Fletcher
Todd Perry
Sam Madison
Derrius Thompson
Mark Dixon
Jay Fiedler (scheduled to make a big roster bonus)
Brian Griese

Some of the guys on this list need to be cut for lack of production. Some for the fact that we need to get younger. Some to save money and some for all three. Let me know what you think

I'd wipe them all out, except Fiedler who I'd restructure, and get this thing going again with some new blood. Another cut I think most of us would make would be Dave Wannstedt; he simply has to go at this point.

Originally posted by phinfan2003
Being that the dolphins are expected to be an estimated 17 mil over next years cap (not including signing our own free agents like Wale and /or Wade), who do you think should be cut/ or have to restructure their contracts in order to get under the cap? Here is my list:

Tim Bowens
Tim Ruddy
Jamar Fletcher
Todd Perry
Sam Madison
Derrius Thompson
Mark Dixon
Brian Griese

Some of the guys on this list need to be cut for lack of production. Some for the fact that we need to get younger. Some to save money and some for all three. Let me know what you think

This is an interesting thread.. I'd like to see everyones opinions on this..

Originally posted by Expo88
I'd wipe them all out, except Fiedler who I'd restructure, and get this thing going again with some new blood. Another cut I think most of us would make would be Dave Wannstedt; he simply has to go at this point.
everybody buy FIEDLER???????????????

Another cut I think most of us would make would be Dave Wannstedt; he simply has to go at this point. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think if we cut Wannstedt, Fiedler goes because I think Jay's his man. Also, if we fire Wanny, his whole staff including Spielman, Turner, Bates, Wise, Armstrong and anyone associated with the Johnson/Wannstedt regime.

I think if Bowens is healthy then restructure rather than cut is essential. Timbo is a BIG TIME player. Same with Madison - he's had an excellent year. Fiedler should also be retained.

Tim Bowens
Tim Ruddy
Jamar Fletcher
Todd Perry
Sam Madison
Derrius Thompson
Mark Dixon
Brian Griese

You can't just cut these players and magically appear under the salary cap. If we were to cut ANYONE, the signing bonus gets prorated and it will count against us next year.

And Todd Perry is probably playing better than anyone on that OL at the moment. I'm not sure why he should be waxed as it's clear there is no replacement.

Tim Bowens
Tim Ruddy
Jamar Fletcher
Todd Perry
Sam Madison
Derrius Thompson
Mark Dixon
Brian Griese

I am gonna get creamed for this but here goes. This is my list.
Cut or dont offer
Tim Ruddy
Jamar Fletcher
Todd Perry
Derrius Thompson
Mark Dixon
Todd Wade

Restructure or loose
Tim Bowens
Sam Madison
Brian Griese with a good line he is the better QB

Yes, I'd keep Fiedler as a mentor to a young QB. He'll have to restructure first but there's not another QB that's going to be on the street that's any better so we might as well stick with him for now. As for the other guys, you can cut them. They're all approaching the ends of their contracts and none of them is worth what the 'Fins are paying them at this point so let them go. If Bowens would restructure down significantly then I'd buy into him staying but the rest, they just don't need to be on the team anymore.

Gone:
Mark Dixon- Too old, injury prone.
Brian Griese- Will want to start
Derrius Thompson- Who knows?
Jamar Fletcher- LONG overdue
Tim Ruddy- We've been wanting to replace him for forever and a day.

Stay-
Sam Madison- Badly needs a restructure. If not, screw him.
Todd Perry- Our least talked about linemen, which for us is good. You cant just overhaul an entire line, can you?
Tim Bowens- WTF? You mean, the cornerstone of our D. Try to groom an replacement? Yes. Dont let go of him unless he wants to go.

Everything's predicated by the salary cap:

Griese: saves $6.435 million
Ruddy: saves $2.2 million
McKnight: saves $1.44 million
Dixon retires: savings unclear and depends on if he gives back any signing bonus, minimum savings about $400,000 if no bonus given back
D. Bowens: saves $1.5 million

Do not pay Fiedler's $2 million option payment for to activate 2006.

Pay Tim Bowens $1.8 million option: saves $1.2 million. If you don't pay the option, he's a UFA and it saves $2.65 million

That's $15.175 million and maybe a bit more..........HOWEVER, Miami will need to fill out the top 51 and tender RFAs and EFAs and re-sign your own FAs.

ok, a tangent but if we are cutting talent ot make cap room... does anyone have any idea what O-linemen of significance are free agents at the end of this season? that is our biggest need in my humble opinion.

Re: Re: Who should be cut in 2004?

Originally posted by dreadlockera

I am gonna get creamed for this but here goes. This is my list.
Cut or dont offer
Tim Ruddy
Jamar Fletcher
Todd Perry
Derrius Thompson
Mark Dixon
Todd Wade

Restructure or loose
Tim Bowens
Sam Madison
Brian Griese with a good line he is the better QB

You would keep Griese? If we have learned anything this year it is that Griese isn't the guy by the fact he did worse than Fiedler did with the same line! I said it before we got him, that if Griese couldn't get it done with Denver and they have an O-line then why would you think he can do it here with out one! The line they would have to put together to make him effective has gone the days of Marino! Just ask Bledsoe about being a "Pocket Passer"!

Back
Top Bottom