Who would be the biggest present day Miami Sports figure if Shaq goes to the Heat? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who would be the biggest present day Miami Sports figure if Shaq goes to the Heat?

VJ1252 said:
I dont know about that I think there are couple athletes who are more popular. Like Lebron, Tiger, and maybe even Vick.

Lebron James? No way a rookie is more popular than on of the four greatest centers of all time (along with Russell, Chamberlain, and Jabbar). As for the question regarding Shaq vs. RW, I love Ricky but his introverted precludes him from reaching media icon status and I think that suits him just fine. Take it from a guy who lives in LA where pictures of Shaq are painted on 20 story buildings--Shaq will be the biggest sports figure in Miami since Dan Marino.

VJ1252 said:
I dont know about that I think there are couple athletes who are more popular. Like Lebron, Tiger, and maybe even Vick.

None of those names are nearly as big as shaqs name IMO. Lebron, a Rookie, missed the playoffs in his first year(after all the hype). Although he put up decent numbers.

Vick, also never winning anything, all he is, is a good athelte. Big name but hardly bigger than Shaquille O'Neal.

Tiger, well I can't evaluate him, because I don't care much for him, or the sport he plays. But I highly doubt his name is bigger than Shaq.

The 7'1, 340 pound, Center, from Louisiana St. Shaquille O'Neal, has won 3 NBA titles, He is a three-time NBA Finals MVP after leading the Lakers to back-to-back-to-back NBA Finals victories. He is a Four-time All-NBA First Team selection. The Two-time regular season scoring champion after posting 29.3 ppg (1994-95) and 29.7 ppg (1999-2000) And Member of gold-medal winning U.S. Olympic team in Atlanta (1996) and World Championship team in Toronto (1994),

I just don't see how those names you mentioned could even compare. I guess that's just my opinion. :rolleyes:

"Who would be the biggest present day Miami Sports figure if Shaq goes to the Heat?"

What's all this discussionm about??

This is a no brainer.

It's definitely Muck!!!!!

The biggest sports figure in Miami is, and will always be Dan Marino IMO. If not Danny, Don Shula is also very big. I'd have both of them above Shaq...

PHINZ RULE!!! :cool:

BLITZKRIEG said:
The biggest sports figure in Miami is, and will always be Dan Marino IMO. If not Danny, Don Shula is also very big. I'd have both of them above Shaq...

I never thought about that. I also think Zach, JT and Ricky will all be ahead of him. When Shaq retires he will not be thought of being on the Heat, he will be thought of beaing a Laker

BLITZKRIEG said:

In the city of Miami perhaps. But on the current national stage, it's Shaq and everybody else. Worldwide, it's still Shaq. Basketball is a worldwide game.

I think the Heat can overtake the Dolphins as South Florida's number one team. I can't recall cheering as loudly for the Phins as I did during the Heat playoff run last year. The Dolphins have been mediocre for nearly a decade, it's about time we have a team in town willing to make big moves to persue a championship run.

I'm just a jaded Dolphins fan, and really happy about the Heat making this trade.

CrunchTime said:
We have never had a superstar the stature of Shaq in Miami in basketball.This has always been a football town.Maybe things will change if he come on board.Personally I still will be more interested in the Dolphins but the Heat seems to be heading in the right direction.Exciting young stars plus a top notch veteran if it works out.
yeah but the heats gonna loose a few of those young top notch players in the trade?

Shaq in a wierd way could help on a few levels...for example...Look at how well the city of Tampa Bay is doing in recent years.....

2002-2003 Super Bowl Champion Bucs then....
2003-2004 Stanley Cup Champion Lightning
2004 Tampa Bay Devil Rays come from the bottom of the barrel to AL Wild Card contention right before the all-star break...

I believe that success can rub off in a city, fans pay more attention, show more support, etc.....

If Shaq does indeed come here, imagine how it would help the Dolphins if that theory even has a tiny bit of truth to it, not to mention the Florida Marlins won the WS last year :)

IT's a good time to be a Miami sports fan :)

Dolphinizzle said:
None of those names are nearly as big as shaqs name IMO. Lebron, a Rookie, missed the playoffs in his first year(after all the hype). Although he put up decent numbers.

Vick, also never winning anything, all he is, is a good athelte. Big name but hardly bigger than Shaquille O'Neal.

Tiger, well I can't evaluate him, because I don't care much for him, or the sport he plays. But I highly doubt his name is bigger than Shaq.

The 7'1, 340 pound, Center, from Louisiana St. Shaquille O'Neal, has won 3 NBA titles, He is a three-time NBA Finals MVP after leading the Lakers to back-to-back-to-back NBA Finals victories. He is a Four-time All-NBA First Team selection. The Two-time regular season scoring champion after posting 29.3 ppg (1994-95) and 29.7 ppg (1999-2000) And Member of gold-medal winning U.S. Olympic team in Atlanta (1996) and World Championship team in Toronto (1994),

I just don't see how those names you mentioned could even compare. I guess that's just my opinion. :rolleyes:
I said more popular not more wins or championships. Lebron's jersey was the most purchased in the NBA last year and he has over a 100 million in endorsement contracts. For all his greatness I dont see many people were Shaq jerseys.

Muck said:
In the city of Miami perhaps. But on the current national stage, it's Shaq and everybody else. Worldwide, it's still Shaq. Basketball is a worldwide game.

Shaq is a well known figure no doubt.
However, basketball's popularity overall has plummeted greatly.
The NFL DRAFT had better ratings than the NBA playoffs.
That is not the sign of a sport on the rise in popularity.

Nonetheless, Shaq is an icon and will be the biggest attraction when you are talking about individual player notariety.

Back
Top Bottom