Why are Fin's Meeting With Young? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are Fin's Meeting With Young?

Mrmiami said:
I think that you obviously had not seen Young play. He appears to be Prototype QB along the lines of Elway,McNabb and Culpepper. I'm not saying he'll be as good as them, only time will tell that but as far as his arm,running and avoiding/breaking tackles he's right there with them. I believe that he will do one heck of a job with the NFL and we would be foolish to overlook Young as a viable candidate for a QB. I would love to have Young on our team as our QB but don't think he'll be there at #16-perhaps a trade working out with one of the higher up's grabbing for us for someone plus our #16. To me, if we get our additional LB taken care of, this would be a great move.

He looked superb. I love the way he dodged all the phantom defenders and read all those incredibly complex phantom defensive schemes. :lol:

Pro QB's SHOULD look great when they're just throwing passes in shorts...

Even if Daunte isn't ready to start because of his knee, he will still be ready before Mr wunderlick learns our offense & even begins to adapt to the pro game...

Mrmiami said:
If that be the case (which it would be ridiculous) why do we even have to bring him in if were only gonna trade him away? There is nothing for us to see if he's not even gonna be here. I think Saban and FO ave better things to be doing with their free time with less than 2 weeks before the Draft, don't you? We had better be bringing in people to look at that are actually going to play for our team at this point.

They've already said to the media that they bring in players constantly to start files on them, not just because we are going to sign them.

They bring him in theoretically because after his 1st contract with whatever team signs him is up we have some info on file in case we might want him later, or to better game plan against him. Saban spoke about this last year on one of his interviews after the media kept pestering him...

Vertical Limit said:
Vince Young will not be a Miami Dolphin. Trust me, I don't think Nick Saban is dumb enough to waste another pick on a quarterback and I'll be damned if he did (Traded a 6th for Cleo Lemon, and a 2nd on Daunte Culpepper), especially on a QB like Vince Young; a guy that if he is not drafted at number 10 in Arizona, then he will likely fall to the 20's-30's of the draft or even fall to the 2nd round.

Arizona would be the best fit for him with the offensive weapons they have. But they too might have doubts of Vince ever being a successful QB in the NFL. If Arizona passes on him, then he will end up falling down dramatically, probably even worse than Aaron Rodgers did in the 2005 draft.

Only reason why I see Vince visiting with Miami is for a possible "trade down" situation with a team that has a lower draft pick than us that might have some interest in Vince Young if he did in fact fell to the #16 spot. By trading down, we might get a low first rounder and possibly a 2nd rounder and more.

That's what was on my mind, the fact that Nick knows that young QB's taken and developed are worth draft picks later, and he's gonna need a few extra as our O & D lines and other areas are going to need new legs in the very near future. We have a couple of players Manny Wright, Alabi, CJ Brooks, Josh Shaw, Orin Thompson, John Denny etc are all in either development stage or soon to be practice squad dummys unless they are able to compete against our current starters. If Saban could somehow get in a trade or three way trade or two, then he could accumulate picks that could snowball into more just by knowing which teams want certain players and holding them for ransom like Wannstedt was bilked into trading up and losing a pick to get an offensive lineman when he really wasn't going to be taken.(Carey, I believe).
Remember that we don't have a second, but if Saban can somehow get an extra 3rd or 4th, there is a lot of depth in this draft in several areas. It has to fall to later rounds as you can't take all the best talent in the first round, and even the best Kiper, etc don't know where all the beasts or studs are. Those extra 7th rd picks we have may get someone that starts by next yr if not before. It's the small school coaches that pro coaches know that helps get real talent. Lets hope sabans scouts have a lot of names in the 06 draft bag to select from that others don't know about. His card player bluffing skills and poker face won't hurt anything.
:cooldude::dolphins::cooldude:

Mrmiami said:
If that be the case (which it would be ridiculous) why do we even have to bring him in if were only gonna trade him away? There is nothing for us to see if he's not even gonna be here. I think Saban and FO ave better things to be doing with their free time with less than 2 weeks before the Draft, don't you? We had better be bringing in people to look at that are actually going to play for our team at this point.

I think Nick is a better judge of how to effectively use his time than you are.

If you don't get it yet, it is unlikely anything I can say will enlighten you, but I will try. It's really a simple concept...if the guy below you doesn't believe you will take their coveted player...that you will indeed pass on him then why WOULD they trade up? If you can FOOL them into thinking their coveted player is at risk you have a CHANCE they might trade up.

IF VY fell to us doncha think it would be handy to have actually worked him out rather then take some elses word for it? How could Nick properly judge the best course of action if he didn't personally put his staff on it and learn just how much...or how little talent will carry over into the NFL.

trainwreck said:
Found this on KFFL, seems kind of odd. Vince would NEVER last until #16.

Dolphins | Team looking to meet with V. Young
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:47:34 -0800

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports NFL draft analyst Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, said Saturday, March 25, on Sirius Satellite Radio the Miami Dolphins have scheduled a visit with University of Texas QB Vince Young in South Florida April 9 and 10. The Dolphins, who declined comment about Young, host about 20 to 25 college players on pre-draft visits. It still seems unlikely that Young would be available when the Dolphins select at No. 16.

He could be a great value pick at 16 or they may just want to seem interested so if he's still there other teams may want to trade up to get him.
Saban has a plan for everything. He doesn't do anything on a whim.

cnc66 said:

If you don't get it yet, it is unlikely anything I can say will enlighten you, but I will try. It's really a simple concept...if the guy below you doesn't believe you will take their coveted player...that you will indeed pass on him then why WOULD they trade up? If you can FOOL them into thinking their coveted player is at risk you have a CHANCE they might trade up.

IF VY fell to us doncha think it would be handy to have actually worked him out rather then take some elses word for it? How could Nick properly judge the best course of action if he didn't personally put his staff on it and learn just how much...or how little talent will carry over into the NFL.

agreed

trainwreck said:
Found this on KFFL, seems kind of odd. Vince would NEVER last until #16.

Dolphins | Team looking to meet with V. Young
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:47:34 -0800

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports NFL draft analyst Gil Brandt, of NFL.com, said Saturday, March 25, on Sirius Satellite Radio the Miami Dolphins have scheduled a visit with University of Texas QB Vince Young in South Florida April 9 and 10. The Dolphins, who declined comment about Young, host about 20 to 25 college players on pre-draft visits. It still seems unlikely that Young would be available when the Dolphins select at No. 16.

First off, it's not so far fetched that he could drop to us, given the teams in front of us that have acquired QBs and secondly, they would be remiss if they didn't meet with all the prospective 1st round candidates...If Saban did not have good substantial scouting from his people he wouldn't draft someone on a whim. IF Young or anyone else who is slated to go above us happens to drop, Saban has to be prepared for that as well...besides that, who knows what other teams may offer in terms of a trade ??

This is just due diligence so that the 'surprise' would be that someone of Young's ilk falls to us, not that we were unprepared with a solid opinion of him...

cnc66 said:

I agree 100%

I think working out Young is great for all the reasons stated in this thread.

However, if VY were hanging around at #16, I say trade down if we can get value (whatever Saban considers to be value, that is). This team STILL has too many holes to fill. I looove VY as a player, but we need to address other positions.

VY will be a great pro, for somebody else. We have too many needs to fill. We can't afford to spend a #1 pick on a guy who won't start for years to come.

I doubt we'll draft him(and I'd be suicidal if we do---I don't see him living up to the hype) because we have Daunte BUT we have to keep our poker face if ya know what I mean...

cnc66 said:

How bout the fact that Saban likes big athletic QB's? How bout the fact that we need another QB? How bout the fact that we could end up having the same type QB one-two? I think Saban has his players ranked. And I dont think Saban is just playing a game. I think he actually likes the possibility of having these two and VY can be used in Mularkeys O and also not skip a beat and have a guy who can score TD's at will. Whether we would trade down or not would depend on what would be offered. If VY drops to 16, he will seriously consider taking him. He is no dummy like some people on this board. He is better than Micheal Vick and Vick was a #1 pick in the draft.

ih8brady said:
I doubt we'll draft him(and I'd be suicidal if we do---I don't see him living up to the hype) because we have Daunte BUT we have to keep our poker face if ya know what I mean...

what hype? it is cutler who has all the hype.

even if he did drop to # 16, it will never happen, why would we draft him, we already have culpepper.i can see if we get a qb in the later rounds like 4, 5, 6, but not a vince young

finfan54 said:
How bout the fact that Saban likes big athletic QB's? How bout the fact that we need another QB? How bout the fact that we could end up having the same type QB one-two? I think Saban has his players ranked. And I dont think Saban is just playing a game. I think he actually likes the possibility of having these two and VY can be used in Mularkeys O and also not skip a beat and have a guy who can score TD's at will. Whether we would trade down or not would depend on what would be offered. If VY drops to 16, he will seriously consider taking him. He is no dummy like some people on this board. He is better than Micheal Vick and Vick was a #1 pick in the draft.

good post, don't ferget Lemon, he is also atheletic and could play the same playbook.

Back
Top Bottom