Why are Fin's Meeting With Young? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are Fin's Meeting With Young?

Our biggest need is LB right now. I believe we addressed our secondary issues especially if we resign Schulters. If we sign Arrington then we should address our O-line. I however don't see us picking up Young even if he falls to our slot in the draft. But like many of you have said we could very well be claiming to be interested as to convince lower seeded draft teams to trade up. This would be a good thing, we are definately headed in the right direction. And if we can trade down Saban will have more picks to fill our needs with. Saban surely seems to know how to evaluate talent, and would seemingly be able to secure fine youth for the team for the future.

:dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins: :dolphins:

This meeting isnt as much about our 1st round use at #16, as it could be about three basic principles Nick Saban employs in personnel areas.

1) You never let your perception or other people's opinions override reality. You meet one-on-one with as many players (whether you have a shot at them this year or not) to build a foundation from an interview perspective. You can than use this foundation for future interviews if this player ever becomes available down the road. You are creating a booklet on all possible personnel decisions. He has done it with his ex-College, ex-NFL players before and its a comfort factor during FA times.

2) You always, always, give the illusion of interests in players that may or may not come your way, from trading up or trading down. Its to late come draft day! So you have to set the seeds in the ground now, so the fruit will be ready for plucking in due time. Teams behind us get nervous, and teams in front of us can get confused and lose focus.

3) Especially with a guy like Vince Young and the circus-like atmosphere since he announced going pro. You have to weed out all the hoopla and heresay. This gives Nick a chance to get one-on-one and can figure out if all the noise is meaningless or not. Perhaps one day it benefits him regarding another player in a similar situation. No harm, no foul to atleast chat with the guy, and charkboard some football related things.

Saban and Mueller have done well so far, no reason to second guess them now based on our opinions. Let them work their magic.

Now I am very grateful that we have Culpepper now and definitely excited! However, I don't see any harm in at least taking a long look at Young. I mean if the guy is still available at number 16..I would consider taking him. Young is a good quaterback....I believe he will do alright in the NFL....I also believe that he will take a few years to develop/groom anyways. If we did pick him up..he would be a good back up plan and add depth to the roster. He's no worse than Cleo Lemon (no disrespect towards Lemon, but he's unproven too and is on our roster). But overall I am more excited about us having Culpepper! I hope he has a great season with us and at least gets us to the playoffs or wins our division. Go Fins!:dolphins:

finfan54 said:
How bout the fact that Saban likes big athletic QB's? How bout the fact that we need another QB? How bout the fact that we could end up having the same type QB one-two? I think Saban has his players ranked. And I dont think Saban is just playing a game. I think he actually likes the possibility of having these two and VY can be used in Mularkeys O and also not skip a beat and have a guy who can score TD's at will. Whether we would trade down or not would depend on what would be offered. If VY drops to 16, he will seriously consider taking him. He is no dummy like some people on this board. He is better than Micheal Vick and Vick was a #1 pick in the draft.

This would not preclude us from adding a young quarterback some kind of way in the mix if that was the best player available in the draft. There are two things about the draft; there are needs on your team, but there is also value to your team. The players that you have on your team have value. The combination of both of those things can help you have a better team. There are some teams out there, and I’m not mentioning any names and we were in it too, that have really good, young backup quarterbacks, just as an example. Because those guys were drafted and developed and they played fairly well when they’ve had to play, even though they don’t have a tremendous history or a great body of work to evaluate them from, when they’ve done it, they showed tremendous potential. They have value. People are throwing out high draft picks, asking higher than what we gave up to get a guy who’s been to three Pro Bowls, for guys who have just started a few games, and demanding pretty good players in trades because of the nature of this position. I don’t think it precludes the fact that if the best player available played this position that we would pass up picking him because of our current situation

Exactly FF, Saban said himself in the Culpepper press conference that if A QB fell to them they would consider taking him, he said with the way people are offering high picks for unproven backups the value of the pick would have to be considered. Now it could be a bluff, but what he said is true. Look at what has been being offered for Matt Schaub, Phillip Rivers, look what Rob Johnson and AJ Feeley went for. :lol:

I agree there are more stressing needs but I wouldn't be surprised either.

Commie_000 said:
people just like looking at him throw...

:rolleyes2 Yeah cause his throwing motion is so pretty!

Dolphins_SR66 said:
This meeting isn't as much about our 1st round use at #16, as it could be about three basic principles Nick Saban employs in personnel areas.

1) You never yet your perception or other people's opinions override reality. You meet one-on-one with as many players (whether you have a shot at them this year or not) to build a foundation from an interview perspective. You can than use this foundation for future interviews if this player ever becomes available down the road. You are creating a booklet on all possible personnel decisions. He has done it with his ex-College, ex-NFL players before and its a comfort factor during FA times.

2) You always, always, give the illusion of interests in players that may or may not come your way, from trading up or trading down. Its too late come draft day! So you have to set the seeds in the ground now, so the fruit will be ready for plucking in due time. Teams behind us get nervous, and teams in front of us can get confused and lose focus.

3) Especially with a guy like Vince Young and the circus-like atmosphere since he announced going pro. You have to weed out all the hoopla and heresay. This gives Nick a chance to get one-on-one and can figure out if all the noise is meaningless or not. Perhaps one day it benefits him regarding another player in a similar situation. No harm, no foul to atleast chat with the guy, and charkboard some football related things.

Saban and Mueller have done well so far, no reason to second guess them now based on our opinions. Let them work their magic.

great post 66

#1, I think you may have been the first to bring this up as a complete thought. The concept has been rattling around in my own head for awhile but it just never became one coherent thought. It is evident in evaluations that he has been using prior knowledge often, look at the guys he has so far chosen. well put 66

#2 I totally agree with this. I think Nick is always sending deliberately confusing signals to our 31 opponents. Even to the point of maybe driving up the costs of people he knows he really doesn't want because every single cost he can add to his 31 enemies might get US a better deal somewhere.

#3, I think Nick may be a shrewd evaluator of people in person and uses these meetings to judge heart and personal character.

remember what Bill Belichick has said...that Nick Saban is the most complete coach he knows. Every single thing we have witnessed so far points to this being a fair evaluation of Nicks thoroughness.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
This meeting isnt as much about our 1st round use at #16, as it could be about three basic principles Nick Saban employs in personnel areas.

1) You never yet your perception or other people's opinions override reality. You meet one-on-one with as many players (whether you have a shot at them this year or not) to build a foundation from an interview perspective. You can than use this foundation for future interviews if this player ever becomes available down the road. You are creating a booklet on all possible personnel decisions. He has done it with his ex-College, ex-NFL players before and its a comfort factor during FA times.

2) You always, always, give the illusion of interests in players that may or may not come your way, from trading up or trading down. Its too late come draft day! So you have to set the seeds in the ground now, so the fruit will be ready for plucking in due time. Teams behind us get nervous, and teams in front of us can get confused and lose focus.

I agree completely with this post. Multiple reasons that Saban would meet with Vince. My opinion, from what I have read, is that Vince does drop to us at 16. Again, from what I have read and my logic, I don't believe that we would draft him. It seems to me that we are looking for a QB that can start in case Dante cannot start the season. I don't think Vince Young would be that person. We just spend a 2nd on a QB that is in his prime. Had we signed someone a little older and near the end (Favre for example), then bringing in someone to take over in a couple of years would make sense. But it is my beliefe that Dante will be here for more than a couple of years. To draft Vince to trade later, ala Rivers, doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. I don't think SD would get value for Rivers if they traded him (4th overall pick). They surely didn't get value for Brees when they let him go. Drafting the BPA only goes so far. If Indy got a high pick next year and the BPA was Quinn, do you think they would draft him? So they could pay that much money to 2 QB's? Or would they draft a WR if he were the BPA? I really don't think so. With the salary cap, you can only tie so much money up in one position.

So, all that babbling means I agree with the post and don't think we draft Vince.

PhinPhreak said:
Exactly FF, Saban said himself in the Culpepper press conference that if A QB fell to them they would consider taking him, he said with the way people are offering high picks for unproven backups the value of the pick would have to be considered. Now it could be a bluff, but what he said is true. Look at what has been being offered for Matt Schaub, Phillip Rivers, look what Rob Johnson and AJ Feeley went for. :lol:

I agree there are more stressing needs but I wouldn't be surprised either.

This is what Jimmy Johnson said after he drafted Steve Walsh in the first round even when the Cowboys already had Troy Aikman.

Quarterback Value
A lot of teams don't understand the pure value of drafting a quarterback. When I was in Dallas, the only other guy was Ron Wolf in Green Bay. I can remember in 1990 because we were a bad team with had the first pick in the supplemental draft. So, we took U. of Miami quarterback Steve Walsh.

Jerry Jones was saying, 'We don't need another quarterback.' I knew that we didn't need two rookie quarterbacks growing old together. But I knew that Walsh had value. We had to be guarded about our opinion of Walsh. I had to walk a tightrope with the media and with Troy. We couldn't downplay Walsh's ability, but I knew Aikman was my quarterback.

We got one year out of him as a backup and then we got a three draft choices from New Orleans for Walsh. I gave up a first rounder and got back a one, two and a three. Now that's value. If a team can, they should consider drafting a quarterback every year because if they hit on somebody, they have value. So many teams make it hard on themselves. They often research a guy so much; they research themselves out of taking someone they really want.
This could be on Sabans mind also.

CrunchTime said:
This is what Jimmy Johnson said when he drafted Steve Walsh in the first round even when the Cowboys already had Troy Aikman.
wasn't that a supplemental draft pick?

Juan Cribbs said:
wasn't that a supplemental draft pick?

Yes but he had to give up a first round pick the following year .Thats how supplemental draft work.

I hope when he starts falling to us we trade so somebody else can get the head case. Vince Young is the next Ryan Leaf.

Back
Top Bottom