Why are Fin's Meeting With Young? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are Fin's Meeting With Young?

Nick & Randy IMO are just covering all the bases. If they throw out a few red herrings then all the better.

I don't think VY will be a total wash out. Who knows in 7-10 years we could be looking back and saying this was quite the year to draft TE's; M. Lewis, Pope, & 2 from UT (D. Thomas & VY after he doesn't make it @ QB).

finfan54 said:
I can absolutely gaurrantee that Nick Saban would never draft someone only to have trade bait in the future.

A value pick is a value pick. I'd rather see them draft a top 5 talent at 16 then reach for a guy simply based on need.
Anybody remember Billy Milner, John Bosa, Lorenzo Hampton, Eric Kumerow.
All those guys were reaches.
If Young drops to 16 you have to take him. If he shows something during the preseason then his value will be very high and you might be able to get a high 1st rd pick for him or a very good veteran player that fills an area of need.
If you think he's a special player then you keep him and trade or cut DC after 2 yrs.

jlfin said:
A value pick is a value pick. I'd rather see them draft a top 5 talent at 16 then reach for a guy simply based on need.
Anybody remember Billy Milner, John Bosa, Lorenzo Hampton, Eric Kumerow.
All those guys were reaches.
If Young drops to 16 you have to take him. If he shows something during the preseason then his value will be very high and you might be able to get a high 1st rd pick for him or a very good veteran player that fills an area of need.
If you think he's a special player then you keep him and trade or cut DC after 2 yrs.

I cannot disagree with that whatsoever. The guy carries a team on his back. Ist that what marino used to do? Isnt Marino the guy who fell to us at 23 in 83?

I dont get these people who say VY is a loser propostion at QB in the NFL when he has a resume bigger than anyone at the QB position in college than most. His size and athleticism is enough to make you go wow and then you watch film and go wow. I dont get it. Value? You better believe it. VY is the kind of guy who looks average in shorts dropping back with no one covering or coming at him, but in a game, he comes alive.

If anyone is going to not make it in this league from all the hype it is Jay Cutler, who has proven that he can bench press 23 times. Oh im sorry, he can make all the throws in shorts......or he is head and shoulders way better than VY. Gimme a break already!

There is another angle to this debate...

If you draft Young at 16, you are not only getting a potential future pro bowl quarterback...

You are IMMEDIATELY getting a valuable option quarterback and even reciever. That would automatically make him the most valuable non-starting QB in football.

We are meeting with young in case he falls to us. Heck if he even gets near us and other teams know we are interested...the value of our pick goes up for any potential trade.

Just think getting a later first and our 2nd rounder back. Culpepper for free then.

Vertical Limit said:
Vince Young will not be a Miami Dolphin. Trust me, I don't think Nick Saban is dumb enough to waste another pick on a quarterback and I'll be damned if he did (Traded a 6th for Cleo Lemon, and a 2nd on Daunte Culpepper), especially on a QB like Vince Young; a guy that if he is not drafted at number 10 in Arizona, then he will likely fall to the 20's-30's of the draft or even fall to the 2nd round.

Arizona would be the best fit for him with the offensive weapons they have. But they too might have doubts of Vince ever being a successful QB in the NFL. If Arizona passes on him, then he will end up falling down dramatically, probably even worse than Aaron Rodgers did in the 2005 draft.

Only reason why I see Vince visiting with Miami is for a possible "trade down" situation with a team that has a lower draft pick than us that might have some interest in Vince Young if he did in fact fell to the #16 spot. By trading down, we might get a low first rounder and possibly a 2nd rounder and more.

Thats never gonna happen bro.

Could you imagine this board if the Fins pass on Young, CPep doesn't come back from his injury, and Young goes on to be a Pro Bowl QB.

Hell people still haven't gotten over the Moss situation, and JJ never really passed on him as much as some people felt he did.

Shula always said that they never intended on drafting a QB in 83 until Dan dropped and they felt he was to good to pass up. I for one am glad that they went against their plans and drafted a QB that year. :D

nopony said:
There is another angle to this debate...

If you draft Young at 16, you are not only getting a potential future pro bowl quarterback...

You are IMMEDIATELY getting a valuable option quarterback and even reciever. That would automatically make him the most valuable non-starting QB in football.

NoPony -

The only way I see us taking VY at #16 is if in these one-on-one interviews Saban hears what he needs, and Vince gives him positive feedback that while learing how to improve to play the "NFL QB" position he would be a team player and learn WR as well.

But as of right now, Vince hasnt moved from his stance that he doesnt need to change to be an NFL QB and doesnt want to hear about playing WR in NFL.

If VY falls to #16, and Saban hasnt got a positive vibe from VY from either an NFL QB situation, or WR situation, I would be willing to bet that he will be available at #17 right after we pick.

On the news I heard that VY combine went down and now he is on the #13 in the draft by the Ravens.I wouldn't be surprised if we got him.We do need a younger QB because what if culpepper gets hurt like every year we will need a backup.

I dont no what is on sabans mind.maybe its to pump up culpepper

XXXSURTAINXXX said:
Becasue we are giving up #16 and next years 1st and 3rd to get him. Watch!!!! It will happen.

NO WAY Saban gives up the #16th pick for a PROJECT!...much less an additional 3rd. Your DREAMING! Can you say SMOKESCREEN!:sidelol:

Dolphins_SR66 said:
NoPony -

The only way I see us taking VY at #16 is if in these one-on-one interviews Saban hears what he needs, and Vince gives him positive feedback that while learing how to improve to play the "NFL QB" position he would be a team player and learn WR as well.

But as of right now, Vince hasnt moved from his stance that he doesnt need to change to be an NFL QB and doesnt want to hear about playing WR in NFL.

If VY falls to #16, and Saban hasnt got a positive vibe from VY from either an NFL QB situation, or WR situation, I would be willing to bet that he will be available at #17 right after we pick.

Oh, I agree with all of that. I didn't mean for Vince to play WR full-time... I meant designing specific plays to use him at QB and wide-out a few times a game... sort of a reverse Randle-El with superstar talent.

That could give him real value as a back-up while he develops.

And, for the record, I don't think he should agree to consider being a wide reciever. He has a chance to be a hall of fame caliber QB. Will he be? No idea. The odds are, as with all rookie QBs, against him.

But man, if he could deliver on the promise he shows and continue the rate of development he's shown, he could dominate as much as one player can in this particular sport.

cnc66 said:
why should we trust you? is Nick calling you at night to fill you in?:goof:

"dumb enough to waste ANOTHER pick"...he hasn't wasted anything.. we got GREAT value for our picks. Mueller has stated he believes in picking up a QB every draft and Nick has said we will likely carry four qb's this year. All of this helps set up your last paragraph.

The last paragraph makes perfect sense to me, I am hoping against hope we get lucky and have the proper ammo to effect a trade. Go Fins !

I do not know about "trusting" CNC66 but I know (opinon) this team is four positions from making a run at the SUPERBOWL: CB, LB, WR, S. I don't think Saban is going to use that#16th pick on Young for that very reason. I do think he wants EVERYBODY ELSE to think he just might... hence the term "Smokescreen".

Back
Top Bottom