Why are people so excited about the Lazor hire? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are people so excited about the Lazor hire?

Inside The Numbers: Bill Lazor

Im pretty indifferent on the hire based on his resume but just not sure there is much to get excited about ouside of Nick Foles having one great year. His time at Virginia as an OC was definitely nothing earth shattering in any of his three years, qb definitely wasn't any big strength during those seasons. Fairly mediocre offense. He was also qb coach for Washington for two years which got nothing much out of their qb's to brag about. 2008 and 2009 at seatlle was nothing to brag about from a coaching perspective. My greatest pleasure from the signing Is Sherman is gone. You never know when people are hired they may produce but nothing about Lazor really excites me as our offensive coordinator. He does seem a smart guy and Im hoping he surprises and helps Tannehill's development.

I can't speak for others but I've taken a wait & see approach to the Lazor hire. However, I did become more optimistic about Lazor after reading MiamiDolphins.com's Inside the Numbers article on Lazor.
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...ll-Lazor/2fec1188-6767-4e9e-97e2-d85e5057fa97
Lazor’s previous NFL coaching stop before last season came with the Seattle Seahawks in 2008-09. In his first season there, the Seahawks had to turn to Seneca Wallace after veteran Matt Hasselbeck was sidelined. Under Lazor’s tutelage, Wallace threw 11 touchdown passes against only three interceptions that season. That is by far the best TD/INT ratio of Wallace’s career, with his second-best showing being a 2:1 margin when he had four touchdowns and two picks in 2010 as a member of the Cleveland Browns.

Before his stint in Seattle, Lazor served as quarterbacks coach for the Washington Redskins, for whom he worked with veteran Mark Brunell in 2006. During that season, Brunell compiled a passer rating of 86.5, which happened to be his best in a season with at least four starts since his glory days with the Jacksonville Jaguars in the late 1990s.

As far as Virginia's offense not being Earth shattering. When you consider where they were the year before Lazor arrived, the improvement was significant.
This will be Lazor’s first NFL job as an offensive coordinator, but he held that position at two different schools, at the University of Buffalo in 2001-02 and the University of Virginia from 2010-12.

He wasted no time making an impact at Virginia after taking over an offense that ranked last in the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2009. A year after averaging a meager 269.6 yards per game, the Virginia offense pushed that total up to 404.8 in 2010, a figure that was good enough for third place in the ACC.

In his three seasons as Cavaliers offensive coordinator, Virginia never averaged less than 396.5 total yards per game. While Lazor working his magic with Foles in Philadelphia, the Cavaliers averaged 368.4 yards in 2013.

I personally would have preferred Kubiak. I don't like him as a head coach but as an OC he is a proven performer and he transformed the Texans into one fo the best offenses in the league under his leadership.
every year during the past 7 the Texans ranked in the upper half of the league in offense
It is interesting because Kubiak and Kyle Shanahan have both been given OC responsibilities on other teams. We were effectively first cab off the rank and rejected the more experienced guys. Time will tell, but Philbin probably succeeds or gets destroyed on this appointment and he deliberately chose the less experienced guy without NFL play calling experience. Hopefully, he made a good decision.
I'm increasingly of the belief that this is all about the development of Tannehill.

Dlockz,

Have you and Hayden Fox ever thought about starting a Band? I swear you two hum the same tone!
Only their mothers can tell them apart. Although I heard that Hayden was once in a mariachi band up there in Maine. Jonathan Martin is a not a big fan - maybe he was glued to the couch with mary jane..

Only their mothers can tell them apart. Although I heard that Hayden was once in a mariachi band up there in Maine. Jonathan Martin is a not a big fan - maybe he was glued to the couch with mary jane..

Hmm could have swore that Hayden Fox loves the Deon Jordan pick and Dlockz feels like we should have kept our picks and drafted the best people instead of overdarfting this guy.
Maybe Im wrong maybe I loved that pick and forgot what I said lol

It's the good cop / bad cop routine. Hayden seems to be mellowing a bit over the last month or so, which means dlockz is now taking his turn. Personally, I think these two make the forum a lot more interesting to read.

And, to their credit, they don't focus on YPA or nose picking......which makes them superior posters.

It is interesting because Kubiak and Kyle Shanahan have both been given OC responsibilities on other teams. We were effectively first cab off the rank and rejected the more experienced guys. Time will tell, but Philbin probably succeeds or gets destroyed on this appointment and he deliberately chose the less experienced guy without NFL play calling experience. Hopefully, he made a good decision.
I'm increasingly of the belief that this is all about the development of Tannehill.

Did you read anywhere of any official interest from Kubiak? I was just curious what the interest level was from both sides, particularly Kubiak. All I saw was that the Dolphins had brief contact with him. Tannehill's development is a major part, I agree, but Kubiak
defintely has the better resume as you point out. IMO Kubiak was probably not all that interested in Miami.

All are possibilities but based on his coordinating for three years at VA , that's nothing like Chip Kelly's offense.

Hopefully you're gonna be proven as wrong as you were most lately about Gibson, also notably about Wake, and on the other spectrum of expectations, about Brady Quinn. But time will tell as personally I'm optimistic in my fandom and the fact that he's not Sherman and Tannehill has more to build on than Foles, but honestly, I'm not as confident of you being off base as I was the prior cited examples. :idk:

Hopefully you're gonna be proven as wrong as you were most lately about Gibson, also notably about Wake, and on the other spectrum of expectations, about Brady Quinn. But time will tell as personally I'm optimistic in my fandom and the fact that he's not Sherman and Tannehill has more to build on than Foles, but honestly, I'm not as confident of you being off base as I was the prior cited examples. :idk:

I was never this huge fan of Quinn that's was your buddy Boomer. Now did I prefer Quinn over Beck or Ginn, why yes I did but I never said that Quinn was going to be some amazing NFL qb. Im no more off base than anyone else you just like to use very selective examples. Please show me the people that said that Wake was going to be an all pro NFL player, yea Im sure there were none. back to Quinn between the three none of them should have been drafted where they were. now if you start showing me Im wrong more often than right I would be somewhat concerned about my opinion. In 2008 I never pumped up Quinn since most believed he would be picked earlier. I was advocating drafting Levi Brown ( not a great pick either) or trading down.

All are possibilities but based on his coordinating for three years at VA , that's nothing like Chip Kelly's offense.
But he learned under Kelly. I have read articles on Chip kelly and they say he looks at it in a diffrent perspective and the articles said his coaches have learned a lot.

Im pretty indifferent on the hire based on his resume but just not sure there is much to get excited about ouside of Nick Foles having one great year. His time at Virginia as an OC was definitely nothing earth shattering in any of his three years, qb definitely wasn't any big strength during those seasons. Fairly mediocre offense. He was also qb coach for Washington for two years which got nothing much out of their qb's to brag about. 2008 and 2009 at seatlle was nothing to brag about from a coaching perspective. My greatest pleasure from the signing Is Sherman is gone. You never know when people are hired they may produce but nothing about Lazor really excites me as our offensive coordinator. He does seem a smart guy and Im hoping he surprises and helps Tannehill's development.
Bro I have a question for you. Are you a Dolphins fan or a rival fan that likes to get things going?

Bro I have a question for you. Are you a Dolphins fan or a rival fan that likes to get things going?
Well TBH at least you`ll get an intelligent conversation with him, there are plenty of glass half empty guys on this site that don't even provide an ounce of common sense...

Well TBH at least you`ll get an intelligent conversation with him, there are plenty of glass half empty guys on this site that don't even provide an ounce of common sense...
I hear you brother. I was just asking to see where is point of view is coming from.

I can't speak for others but I've taken a wait & see approach to the Lazor hire. However, I did become more optimistic about Lazor after reading MiamiDolphins.com's Inside the Numbers article on Lazor.
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...ll-Lazor/2fec1188-6767-4e9e-97e2-d85e5057fa97

As far as Virginia's offense not being Earth shattering. When you consider where they were the year before Lazor arrived, the improvement was significant.
I too didn't know anything about this guy before he was hired and have no idea how it will work out in Miami. reading more about Lazor has made me feel like has some potential. he did some impressive things with those QBs in the NFL and at Virginia, adding over 100 yards per game to an offense in one year is worth noting.

No offense but that's a stupid question. If I was a rival fan I would be on that board arguing about my team. Maybe its not a stupid question but it makes no sense to me.
Im pretty sure I have been a Dolphin fan longer tha most people on this board. Doesn't mean I have to like the state of the dolphins. Some people choose to support almost every thing this team does, Im tired of the mediocrity and my criticism of the overall state of my favorite team is valid.
I have 4 professional teams of which I am a fan and have never once changed my favorite team in any sport. Im a Celtics, Bruins, Red and Dolphin fan. I personally don't get Jets fans that come to a dolphin board to discuss anything. I respect some of their opinions but it seems a senseless exercise.
I live IN Tampa and yet have never sai much good about the Bucs, actually pulled for the Raiders that superbowl. Wore a Woodson jersey to the improv the night before the superbowl and got a lot of attention for it.

Truthfully, I would have been happy with anyone not named Mike Sherman. But, Tannehill needed a fresh start as far as coaching. Under Lazor, we should find out what we truly have in Ryan.

Back
Top Bottom