Why are we always so conservative in the second half??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are we always so conservative in the second half???

phinfan27

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That is a HUGE problem. We go out to big leads by mixing the run with some big passes, and then in the second half, we change our game plan and always let teams make a run at us. Wanny needs to change that very quickly!

Can't have it both ways. We ran the clock down really fast on them which was good because if we were passing we give them more clock to work with and they coulda come back.

Yeah its true we controlled the clock in the second half pretty well. We ended up with 36 minutes controlling the ball to the Jets' 24 minutes. I would have loved for us to have gotten points in the 2nd half, but we did the next best thing...ran the clock out on the Jets.

We only failed to produce a first down on ONE of our second half drives...and that was with like 2:37 left in the game when it was very very very obvious that the Jets were not overcoming an 11 point defecit within 2 minutes. And even that 3 and out came down a measurement after three straight runs by Ricky Williams for like 9.5 yards

Controlled the clock? B-S!!! Had the Jets not sucked so bad, they would have had an easy chance to come back and win that game or make it close. Just like we always do.

We played ball control. Hey, if it ain't broke...... Today it wasn't broke. They ran Ricky and ran him some more.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Can't have it both ways. We ran the clock down really fast on them which was good because if we were passing we give them more clock to work with and they coulda come back.

I understand what you're saying and the fumble really changed everything giving the jets a big chance to come back.

However, here we are mixing in run and pass very nicely and moving the ball with tremendous effectiveness and then we decid to change what has been working well for most of the game. When you are scoring and moving the ball why change what is working? More touchdowns will put a team away as much as running the clock down.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the win!

Originally posted by phinfan34
Controlled the clock? B-S!!! Had the Jets not sucked so bad, they would have had an easy chance to come back and win that game or make it close. Just like we always do.

If we had to, we would have thrown more. We threw the ball a lot early on. When we got that big lead, we ran the ball....and ran it effectively. If not for that fumble, the Jets probably score 3 points...and the Phins score at least 24.

I don't have a problem with running out the clock in second half but I do have a problem if every first down in the second half is a run.You just can't become too consevative and predictable unless you have Tampa defense on your side.I think they should throw in a couple of playactions to keep the defense honest not just run every first down.

Originally posted by phinfan34
That is a HUGE problem. We go out to big leads by mixing the run with some big passes, and then in the second half, we change our game plan and always let teams make a run at us. Wanny needs to change that very quickly!

been saying that evry since he's been here.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

Know what you mean, but 18 pts is not a safe enough lead in the NFL. wash was down 17 early and took the lead. Sitting on it most of the 4th is OK but the 3rd is not. This only lets the team get a little lackadasical and allows momentum swings too easy. We could've put up 10 more without a whole lot of risk and saved ricky a little as well.

Isn't PA passes when we have the leading rusher in the league with 5 min left what people were complaining about last year?? ie the PATS game??? :D I am ok with the calls today. They mixed in a few passes in the third quarter. But by the halfway point of the 4th quarter, the opponent (when you have the lead) is the clock. They understood that and ran Ricky. finally.

Which way do you want it guys? When they throw we complain and when they run we complain :lol:

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
Which way do you want it guys? When they throw we complain and when they run we complain :lol:

EXACTLY. I say go with the dreadlocked demon. :evil: Like we did today. But then I am remembering last season. Not to mention even when we had Marino we could not get to the promised land because passing games cannot be counted on. It is funny how success changes our views either way.

Originally posted by minus
I don't have a problem with running out the clock in second half but I do have a problem if every first down in the second half is a run.You just can't become too consevative and predictable unless you have Tampa defense on your side.I think they should throw in a couple of playactions to keep the defense honest not just run every first down.

Exactly right - we could have at least rolled Jay out and passed to the TE or Konrad. Scoring zero points in the 2nd half is unacceptable against any team. If the JETS of old were playing, we would have lost.

It's very possible to play run-the-clock-out football and still be aggressive. There are pitch-outs, sweeps, fake reverses, screen passes, dump-offs to the back. Running the ball into the line every down is too conservative.

Back
Top Bottom