Why are we always so conservative in the second half??? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are we always so conservative in the second half???

If Fiedler doesn't fumble, it's a different story. the playcalling today was actually fine. The execution in the second half could have been better. As talented as our defense is, 21 points should be enough to beat a mediocre offense like the Jets have. My only concern with our performance was our lax coverage against the pass. this zone has got to stop.

Zone just has to stop being used SOOO much..

It's like we switched entirely ;\

I dunno..maybe it just needs time.

Originally posted by RikWriter
It's very possible to play run-the-clock-out football and still be aggressive. There are pitch-outs, sweeps, fake reverses, screen passes, dump-offs to the back. Running the ball into the line every down is too conservative.

I'm sure this early in the season and being as up as they were they didn't want to show more then they had to. They showed a couple twists today in splitting Ricky out as a WR and FB screen. Hopefully they are saving the twists for Buffalo :)

Re: Re: Why are we always so conservative in the second half???

Originally posted by DeDolfan

been saying that evry since he's been here.

I know, he does it every game. How many comeback losses have we seen the last few seasons?

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
Which way do you want it guys? When they throw we complain and when they run we complain :lol:

um, no, its called mixing it around. Ok, we can run LATE in the 4th quarter when we have a good lead. But the 3rd quarter, we change our gameplan when we scored 21 points in the first half? Thats why we got shut out in the second half. That won't work against a team like Buffalo, sorry.

don´t matter know we won our first road game of the year against a team in our division, our o-line looked way better today, protecting jay, where was abraham today ??? smith must have done a good job on him

I think that we have to start closing teams out and stop holding on for dear life. We needed to put up at least one more score in the second half. :rolleyes: Against a better team or against a healthy Jets team, we would have been in trouble late.

I was going to start a thread just like this and say pretty much everything you guys have so i'm done now.

Originally posted by ebozzz
I think that we have to start closing teams out and stop holding on for dear life. We needed to put up at least one more score in the second half. :rolleyes: Against a better team or against a healthy Jets team, we would have been in trouble late.
This is my thinking. I couldn't see the game, but knowing Wannstedt's tendancies, I was practically biting my nails. I'm sitting here on the west coast watching the Chiefs and Steelers - an entertaining game, BTW. I see the score is 21-3 Dolphins at the half and I'm thinking, "cool! We're kicking their ***!" But then I'm watching the score into the 3rd, and into the 4th, 21-10, and I don't feel safe at all - not until their was only about 2:45 to go in the game.

The conservative 2nd halves have got to stop! Yes - if you're up buy 11 with 7:30 to go in the 4th, then, by all means, run the clock out. But until then, if you're on the opponents' backs, why change what's working? I mean, unless it stops working, go for it! Keep doing what you're doing and make it 35-6 or 10. Then you can safely start sitting on your lead at the start of the 4th.

Okay, pure speculation on my part but I think Jay got hurt on that TD run. Maybe his neck or shoulder. He looked a little dazed when he was being helped up and then he barely threw in the second half. Isn't that the play where he took Abraham out? I think they both got hurt.
I wasn't paying attention to individual players but is Nails healthy yet? Seems like Ricky ran alot more off the right side. I know Smith did okay but will we be better if we put Dixon back in on the left side?
Injuries are still limiting us. Konrad is not being used as much, I think because of the pin in his finger. Zach had to play with sore ribs and I think they said he was wearing a flak jacket. Madison with the bad ankle.

I understand where both these scenarios are coming from.....we either run up the score or run out the clock and we cant have both.....but if you ask me, id rather score, score & score some more.....but when push comes to shove, just let that damn clock run out....As long as Ricky gets the ball im happy, i mean he's trying to make a play happen, its not like hes just out there chewing up the clock, hes trying to chew up the yards as well.....but its common sense that we're going to run the clock out so the Jets will stack everything on the line, thats why it seems so conservative.....if we throw, then people start complaining,"Why did he throw!?"

Originally posted by phinfan34

um, no, its called mixing it around. Ok, we can run LATE in the 4th quarter when we have a good lead. But the 3rd quarter, we change our gameplan when we scored 21 points in the first half? Thats why we got shut out in the second half. That won't work against a team like Buffalo, sorry.

All I'm saying is nobody is ever happy. If we would have thrown and dropped 2 passes everyone would have said "WHY NOT RUN". If RW didn't pick up those 16 yards on the draw and only got 5 everyone would say "WHY DIDNT WE PASS". Let the coaches coach.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

All I'm saying is nobody is ever happy. If we would have thrown and dropped 2 passes everyone would have said "WHY NOT RUN". If RW didn't pick up those 16 yards on the draw and only got 5 everyone would say "WHY DIDNT WE PASS". Let the coaches coach.

Excellent point!! When we ran that draw, I was thinking the same thing. If Ricky gets stuffed, everyone and his dog says: "thats a horrible call, fire Norv"....as it was, it worked and produced a first down. Exactly what I was saing last week, execution!!!

I'm not saying pass every down, i'm saying STICK with the same game plan that got us 21 points in the first half!!!!

The only complaint I have is passing in situations late in the fourth quarter when we should be running (New England, Houston). It definitely would have been nice to get more points, say in the third quarter, but that was more lack of execution than play-calling, IMO. Overall, I'm just glad we won, and got the "at New York" streak off our backs.

Back
Top Bottom