Why are you still a fan? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are you still a fan?

Michigan Mike

Club Member
Reaction score
I am not starting this thread to be a smart alek. I am simply curious.

If you are frustrated with the team and their decisions, why do you stick around? If you don't think they will ever see success, why are you still emotionally attached to the team?

I live in Michigan and have had the Lions shoved down my throat for my entire life, even though I have always been a Dolphins fan first, and I stopped following them even remotely and have focused solely on the Dolphins. At least I have seen the Dolphins win a Super Bowl in my lifetime (49 years old), something the Lions fans can't say.

I follow the team because in my lifetime they have had more ups than downs and, with the exception of the Martin bullygate, they haven't had a whole lot of off the field problems. Their players, for the most part, are good citizens and you rarely see them in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. I am a bit of an optimist so I hold out hope that this time they will get things right and we will see success in the near future. Ever since the Dave Wannstedt fiasco, they have had a problem with consistency and the ability to attract top talent free agents.

Hopefully Ross has learned his lessons and will let the football minds run the football operations and he will do what any sensible owner does - stay in the owner's suite and entertain clients during the game.

I'm a glutton for punishment. Not a fair weather "fan" or a bandwagoner having been here to scale the mountain tops and descend to the valley floors. Seen the best and worst.. so I'm already bi-polar and will always hope for the best but be able to ride with the punches, no matter how much they sting.

Unfortunately, for me and sports it is an emotional attachment. Can't tear that emotional attachment. It is what it is. The suits (owners) can take advantage of that.

The Dolphins are my team.

I bleed aqua and orange, for as long as I can remember.

The closest analogy I can give you is a family member or a child.

You support them in all they do, whether they succeed or they fail.

It isn't contingent on success, or winning.

Sometimes they disappoint you, sometimes they surprise you, sometimes they thrill the heck out of you.

If a person wants to root for a team that consistently makes the right choices, signs and drafts the right players, hires the right coaches, and wins their division consistently (and that is a very, very, very, small list, if not an empty list), go find them and root for those teams and hope that success continues forever. But don't call yourself a fan. A fan is there through thick and thin.

because I am not a gloryfan fu*kwit

interesting that some would even need to ask the question (dont mean the op). You would think they would be busy binning their Seahawk jersey and putting up posters of Cam Newton

i despise bandwagon sports fans. I picked Miami over the Packers (who were amazing at the time) we may suck but this is the team for me

Always & Forever

[video=youtube;qiI42aZ5F40]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiI42aZ5F40[/video]

I'm with Vaark and SOS. The Fin are the longest relationship of my life now that my parents are gone. Like most relationships there are up years and down year. Doesn't mean you quit just weather the tide.
I could see a fan that's recently adopted the team be frustrated and want to give up. Lord know we are in a down cycle but as Vaark knows from the stock market you do the best you can in a down cycle and wait for the turn. (and hope you are not too old to miss it :))

I'm a younger guy, so I have that 'opportunity' still to switch alliances, like all the other young guns rocking Carolina Panthers gear.

But I refuse.
I am a Miami guy. I like the Dolphins, Marlins, Heat, Hurricanes and FIU's Panthers (only because I'm attending there and I feel an attachment to my school).

I stick with the Dolphins because it is a part of my greater identity. I represent my city, the '305', by supporting the Dolphins.

Ask a Cleveland Browns fan why he or she supports them, and I believe they would say the same thing.

I've always thought that for any "true" fan of any team, it is impossible to switch teams in your lifetime, just can't do it.

If you're asking that question then maybe you should insist on answering it yourself.

I ask the question because I see so many posters here lament that the team is terrible, the front office is clueless and there is no hope in sight. I am genuinely curious why someone would be a fan if they felt that way about their team.

I am fan because I enjoy the game of football. I played football in high school, coached my kids' teams as they grew up and I am now a high school football official. I enjoy the game on a level where I try to focus on different areas to see how certain positions are playing, how the officials' mechanics are good or bad and as a form of entertainment. It is better than watching some of the stupid movies being put out lately.

Sunday afternoons are my time to relax, unwind and enjoy some time with friends or family. I follow the Dolphins because I have been a fan since childhood. My loyalty to the team was cemented when Dan Marino threw his first TD to a player with the same name as mine - Joe Rose (yes, it's my real name). I go by my middle name Mike now (long story) but back in high school I went by my first name Joe and I played TE on my high school team and wore the same number as Joe Rose. It may sound corny but it meant a lot to me at the time. From that point forward, I have been a diehard fan, win or lose. I get discouraged at the losing seasons and the wasted draft picks and free agency signings that don't work out. But I don't let the discouragement define me or my loyalty to the team.

I made my first trip to Miami this past season for a home game and it further convinced me that the Dolphins are "my team". The fans were friendly, meeting up with others from this site was a great experience and the atmosphere at the game was positive. I am hoping to go to another game in 2016 to see the finished stadium.

hqdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom