Why are you still a fan? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are you still a fan?

Basically I believe being a fan is being there during the bad as well as the good. We all need someone and something to root for, but if you are not passionate enough to stick with what you supposedly care about, you will never feel the all time high when they succeed again.

Before the Steelers were such a successful year in/year out, decade in/decade out team, they were a mess. As were teams like the Giants, Packers, Bears, and Colts, teams that during the 50s and 60s looked like the class of the NFL, only to look pathetic for most of the 70s and 80s.

Teams come only to eventually fall, but if you're a fair weather fan, it will not taste nearly as sweet when your team reaches the top again, as if you had been there with them during the hard years.

It's one of the few things I still watch on TV. It's not like I'm doing anything better on Sundays.

Sadly though I'm getting to the point where I won't bother if something else comes up.

I'm am so excited for free agency, the draft, and Week 1. Last season was so disturbing, certainly not a sign of things to come, just an aberration. What really sucks is a good part of what is left of the fan base was tricked into believing we were contenders. I believe in Gase and Grier and his staff. I believe in Ryan. I can't wait!

bc I WILL NOT be one of those people that come back when the team starts winning.

The elation will be such freakin' ecstasy if they ever do win. Not only that, but I feel like we kinda develop relationships (vicariously) with the players that come and go. The guys that we like we root for hard and if we drafted them, they become part of the Dolphins family and we root for them, too.

I ask the question because I see so many posters here lament that the team is terrible, the front office is clueless and there is no hope in sight. I am genuinely curious why someone would be a fan if they felt that way about their team.

I am fan because I enjoy the game of football. I played football in high school, coached my kids' teams as they grew up and I am now a high school football official. I enjoy the game on a level where I try to focus on different areas to see how certain positions are playing, how the officials' mechanics are good or bad and as a form of entertainment. It is better than watching some of the stupid movies being put out lately.

Sunday afternoons are my time to relax, unwind and enjoy some time with friends or family. I follow the Dolphins because I have been a fan since childhood. My loyalty to the team was cemented when Dan Marino threw his first TD to a player with the same name as mine - Joe Rose (yes, it's my real name). I go by my middle name Mike now (long story) but back in high school I went by my first name Joe and I played TE on my high school team and wore the same number as Joe Rose. It may sound corny but it meant a lot to me at the time. From that point forward, I have been a diehard fan, win or lose. I get discouraged at the losing seasons and the wasted draft picks and free agency signings that don't work out. But I don't let the discouragement define me or my loyalty to the team.

I made my first trip to Miami this past season for a home game and it further convinced me that the Dolphins are "my team". The fans were friendly, meeting up with others from this site was a great experience and the atmosphere at the game was positive. I am hoping to go to another game in 2016 to see the finished stadium.

I think if you were to look at any Lions forums, or ANY of 20 NFL Team sites

you'd see the exact type of things being posted

The Dolphins are in no way unique,

regarding their recent records or their struggles at QB.

I grew up going to the Orange bowl watching Marino in person

My perspective is probably very different from most people who hang out in here every day.

I was pissed every year the Dolphins would lose in the playoffs or get beat by the Bills over & over with Shula & Marino.

When Jimmy Johnson was hired I was a big fan of his with UM and the Cowboys. I was very excited & hoped to see great defense and a running game come back to the Dolphins.

The defense improved considerably, but the RB never really was found and then the QB play took a nose dive.

I follow the Dolphins because I grew up watching them.

I really dislike the current owner, and basically everything he has done & said since he bought the team.

Huizinga and Roby were all about CLASS, and doing things the right way.

Ross has his own way of doing things, & I don't like it at all

Because I'm loyal and have blind faith. That and dolphin games are the only games I get nervous and tight while watching. They're the sports franchise I rooted for the longest. 28 years and counting

yeah, not going to be accused of being some bandwagon or fair-weather fan. I've been through it all, the playoff losses to the bills, watched every single, stinking game of that 1-15 season and since... maybe one day in my lifetime they'll get back to the mountain top. I fear that time is not coming very soon.

Well I named my dog Miami, and I dont want her to feel like she was a mistake, The Fins have until she leaves for dog heaven to get their **** together...

I have loved the Dolphins since I started watching football. Fell in love with Marino as a player and when he left it didn't feel right to change my loyalties elsewhere.

I hate bandwagon fans and I'm not going to be one.

Even through all the crap, I'm proud to be a Dolphins fan if only for our rich and unique history. Unfortunately, the lack of success as of late is tough to see. But I can't love another team like I love the Dolphins. :hsmash::hsmash:

The day I quit being a Dolphins fan is the year they win the Super Bowl. I know that for a fact. So I'm stuck :crazy:

Growing up in the Bay Area, and with my whole family 49er fans, being forced to root for the 9ers, in 1988, (at 7 years old), I made the decision to be a Dolphins fan. As I think back the reason had to be Marino, but I was 7 and probably liked the colors and the dolphin. It comes down to passion and pure love. I can't even fathom the idea of having the same passion for any other team than I do for the Dolphins.

My brother (order) became a Seahawks fan around the same time I switched. I have watched him in the same misery as I have been in for years, when they were known as the Seabags. When he and other fans saw no hope for the team. But now they are good! Been to a couple Super Bowls and won one. He stuck around through all the downs and now has ups.

I have faith that the Dolphins will be great again. And I am going to stick with them till the day I die.

The day I quit being a Dolphins fan is the year they win the Super Bowl. I know that for a fact. So I'm stuck :crazy:

If so just quit for one year for the sake of rest of us. After that you come back and help us celebrate our SB win :thumbup:

Just kidding. Anything that's worthwhile is usually a struggle. We'll get it right one of these days.

Mainly because I'm not a bandwagon jumper. My reason for becoming a fan had to do with being born in South Florida, and despite moving up to DC when I was young my father encouraged me to be a Dolphins fan.

I was fortunate that around the time I started watching football Marino got drafted, so despite the fact that Sunday Ticket didn't exist yet I constantly got to watch highlights, primetime games, and playoff appearances so I've always been able to follow the team somewhat, and hence stayed loyal.

While I don't think any organization (except Cleveland) can stay at the bottom forever, I do think it's going to take a lot of changes to the organization before it reaches it's former glory. But I've been here since before the decline, during the decline, so I'm certainly not going to jump now...
I'll leave that for the inevitable influx of new "Panthers fans", many of whom I'm sure share an uncanny (slightly older) physical resemblance to the the new "Patriots fans" that suddenly materialized right after the 2001 superbowl.

Back
Top Bottom