Why are you still a fan? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are you still a fan?

I am not starting this thread to be a smart alek. I am simply curious.

If you are frustrated with the team and their decisions, why do you stick around? If you don't think they will ever see success, why are you still emotionally attached to the team?

I live in Michigan and have had the Lions shoved down my throat for my entire life, even though I have always been a Dolphins fan first, and I stopped following them even remotely and have focused solely on the Dolphins. At least I have seen the Dolphins win a Super Bowl in my lifetime (49 years old), something the Lions fans can't say.

I follow the team because in my lifetime they have had more ups than downs and, with the exception of the Martin bullygate, they haven't had a whole lot of off the field problems. Their players, for the most part, are good citizens and you rarely see them in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. I am a bit of an optimist so I hold out hope that this time they will get things right and we will see success in the near future. Ever since the Dave Wannstedt fiasco, they have had a problem with consistency and the ability to attract top talent free agents.

Hopefully Ross has learned his lessons and will let the football minds run the football operations and he will do what any sensible owner does - stay in the owner's suite and entertain clients during the game.

Bullygate wasn't even a thing.

I'm fan because I always have been and, I don't know any better.
I like the Panthers, as they are the team of the Carolinas that I didn't have growing up.
All my buddies loved the Dolphins, and I was ridiculously committed to the team for a long time.
I've come to realize sports are pretty shallow in the overall sheme of things, and, it doesn't
matter as much.

I get a little shell of hope every season, and, it's shattered fairly early on.

The Dolphins will always be my team, but frankly, I've got better things to do for the most part.

Two words.

Hometown.

Loyalty.

Simple as that. My 10 year old cousin is a Golden State Warrior and Seattle Seahawk fan. If I ever have a son and he chooses the two front running teams at the time, I am going to teach him that he better stick to both after the good times are over. Dolphins or not. You stick with your teams, especially the ones from your hometown. It's a great life lesson. I will go as far as to say it shows a lot about your character as well. Bandwagon jumper, hometown pride, and just overall team loyalty.

I've been a GS Warriors fan since Rick Berry.

I am not starting this thread to be a smart alek. I am simply curious.

If you are frustrated with the team and their decisions, why do you stick around? If you don't think they will ever see success, why are you still emotionally attached to the team?

I live in Michigan and have had the Lions shoved down my throat for my entire life, even though I have always been a Dolphins fan first, and I stopped following them even remotely and have focused solely on the Dolphins. At least I have seen the Dolphins win a Super Bowl in my lifetime (49 years old), something the Lions fans can't say.

I follow the team because in my lifetime they have had more ups than downs and, with the exception of the Martin bullygate, they haven't had a whole lot of off the field problems. Their players, for the most part, are good citizens and you rarely see them in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. I am a bit of an optimist so I hold out hope that this time they will get things right and we will see success in the near future. Ever since the Dave Wannstedt fiasco, they have had a problem with consistency and the ability to attract top talent free agents.

Hopefully Ross has learned his lessons and will let the football minds run the football operations and he will do what any sensible owner does - stay in the owner's suite and entertain clients during the game.

Im married so I enjoy torture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because of the 1 rule you NEVER break... You don't quit on your team, ever.

I live in CT and had a friend who was a KC fan forever... Till the mid 00s when he all of a sudden was a huge Pats fan. He lost so much respect in my book. I actually can't take any of his sports talk seriously these days.

There's a lot of that going on up here. I have many friends that are now "huge" fans of the Pats. When I call them out on it, they give me a lame answer. I tend not to talk football with any of the morons up here cause I'll probably insult their moral fiber in the end.

I'm fan cause, once you pick your guys, you stick with them through it all. If you dump them in the bad times and take off you're just a fair weather clown.

I'm a glutton for punishment. Not a fair weather "fan" or a bandwagoner having been here to scale the mountain tops and descend to the valley floors. Seen the best and worst.. so I'm already bi-polar and will always hope for the best but be able to ride with the punches, no matter how much they sting.

I think its been a long long time since Miami has gotten a bandwagon fan...LOL

Because I have been a fan of all my favorite sports team ever since I became a fan of them in the 70's. Some of my teams have been worse than the Dolphins some have been really successful. I just happen to be more passionate about football and the Dolphins at this time in my life. That's part of being a sports fan. Teams will have their ups and downs.

Only NFL team I've ever rooted for. Second generation Phins fan so i was born into this punishment.

The Dolphins are my team.

I bleed aqua and orange, for as long as I can remember.

The closest analogy I can give you is a family member or a child.

You support them in all they do, whether they succeed or they fail.

It isn't contingent on success, or winning.

Sometimes they disappoint you, sometimes they surprise you, sometimes they thrill the heck out of you.

If a person wants to root for a team that consistently makes the right choices, signs and drafts the right players, hires the right coaches, and wins their division consistently (and that is a very, very, very, small list, if not an empty list), go find them and root for those teams and hope that success continues forever. But don't call yourself a fan. A fan is there through thick and thin.

Ditto, plus being from Miami and pride in the hometown team

If you are a true fan you simply can not just turn that off, if you can say go support another team, then you were never a true fan in the first place.

A true fan can become apathetic though and try for the team not to effect his/her moods as much as they do, but that fan pull will always be there.

I'm with Vaark and SOS. The Fin are the longest relationship of my life now that my parents are gone. Like most relationships there are up years and down year. Doesn't mean you quit just weather the tide.
I could see a fan that's recently adopted the team be frustrated and want to give up. Lord know we are in a down cycle but as Vaark knows from the stock market you do the best you can in a down cycle and wait for the turn. (and hope you are not too old to miss it :))

Exactly....and my good memories still strongly knock out the last 15 years.

I'm getting to old to divorce them...just keep hoping they get it right eventually.

Honestly? Because I can't stand bandwagon jumpers and I am not about to become what I dislike. One day this team will pull it's head out of it's ass and to be here for that will truly be sweet due to all the pain I have suffered through in order to see it.

Been a dolphins fan since 1983 when first shown in the United Kingdom once a fin always a fin

If so just quit for one year for the sake of rest of us. After that you come back and help us celebrate our SB win :thumbup:

Just kidding. Anything that's worthwhile is usually a struggle. We'll get it right one of these days.

I don't think I can to be honest. I love football despite the bull**** we've seen for years. I was a White Sox fan as a kid and when the Nationals came to D.C. I went and started following them. That's when the White Sox won the World Series in 2005.

Back
Top Bottom