Why do people call him an offensive Genius? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why do people call him an offensive Genius?

Didn't people call Cameron, philbin and Gase offensive geniuses when they were hired? You would also think that if he was such a genius that at least one other team would have interviewed him. But nope, no other team did. I guess Ross and grier know something the other franchises don't know. Some people never learn
You are making that stuff up. No one ever labeled Philbin or Gase as genius' here. As far as Cameron goes, he was a very good OC, he just couldn't manage drinking a glass of water.

Every new coach is being called a genius by fans of the team that hired them. It’s one of those words that’s way over used anymore.

All the schemes in the world don't matter if the guys on the field don't block where they're supposed to, which means they have to know the plays and not mail it in on downs where they're number isn't called.

It's been the same for every coach who has taken the helm in Miami. The Dolphins used to run the Wildcat, and a huge part of that play's success rested on a little known player (Patrick Cobbs spring to mind?) whose responsibility for blocking was paramount. As soon as he went down to injury, the effectiveness of that play went off a cliff. While it was not the only reason for the play's effectiveness to decline, he was critically important because he could block. Not every player on the field can block... strange as that sounds.

Why this is relevant is because that was purely a product of the Bill Parcells way of thinking: it's about role players and finding the value in guys who would otherwise have no contribution. Mike McDaniel is great at schemes, and hopefully he is great at finding those guys oft overlooked who have a great skill he can scheme around.

So what you're saying is, that it's a crap shoot. Going by the dolphins choices in the past, I'll error on the side of caution before I annoint him a genius

no players, former players or gurus have gone overboard raving about Philbin or Gase (excl Manning who also got him the NYJ job) or Cameron as they have about McDaniel. I believe that sets him apart justifying the hopeful enthusiasm despite the failings of the above. For that matter, I barely remember anyone outside the NE organization waxing this enthusiastically about Flores either

Last edited:
Mostly because I had to remove myself from this place for more than a few years. I am/was a rabid dolphins fan. I had tickets for years and my dad had tickets when they were in the orange bowl. That said i got TOO worked up over the years to the point I thought i was having a heart attack after the bills game in december 2016. The fins are not worth dying for.

So yes, I am a bit negative. that said there are TOO many people acting like a guy who got zero other interviews is our savior.

I wont be down on the hire. We needed a HC and we are lucky people forgive A LOT OF STUFF for money (Flores aside) and someone took the job. I understand people want to believe we will get it right this time.

That said Who declared this man an offensive genius and why? He has been an OC for 1 year. How is that enough time to say hes the next bill walsh?

First, let's be realistic. Counting all OCs in the last 5 years - current and those not good enough to REMAIN OCs - being a top OC isn't a high bar. Yes, I know the discussion is "offensive genius." But, a large part of the OCs job is NOT calling plays. It's designing plays, developing game plans, using players talents others may not see.
I'm not ready to throw out the word "genius," because McD hasn't done all those things on his own. But Mia's O will be a heavy test. I expect him to create an aggressive O like fans haven't seen in 20 years. I expect more weapons. More creative play calls. He's been a part of all those things throughout his career. Admittedly, those things won't happen game one.
I agree, some are getting ahead of reality. There's no guarantee he's good enough to be the next Flores. That said, his resume' is impressive, he's worked for top offensive minds and been good enough for frequent promotions, and has been a part of top Os. Every newbie HC comes with questions, but I'm thrilled Mia finally has a HC with an O mindset and a background of being a part of aggressive Os. I'm so tired of passive Os

Back
Top Bottom